Sign in to follow this  
yellowasanything

Could Adams be the next Mike Walker?

Hope so! Wouldn''t mind us finishing in 3rd behind Man City and Chelsea next season.

Seriously speaking, I suppose the absolute equivalent might be finishing 5th or 6th and going on a Champions League run. However looking at the different starting point, Walker had inherited an immediate legacy of a few years of steady progress towards the top levels of the first division.

You''ll never see those heights again under any manager unless the club got some serious investment.

Football has changed for the worse.

Where we finished under Hughton is possibly the highest we''ll finish in a long long time.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Please can he be the next Dave Stringer. A much better prospect.

[/quote]

Maybe a combination of Dave Stringer and Mike Walker would do the trick......

Walker, if anything, just asked the team - that was already technically good and capable of real quality football due to Stringer''s five years of development work - to be a little more direct.  He was only manager for two years and his success was as a direct result of Stringer''s visionary approach to football.   I don''t know why Stringer stepped down, maybe he felt he had taken us as far as he could, but whatever, Walker took it on and we got the icing on the cake. 

Those that can''t remember those times because they were too young - and were dubious about Adams getting the job as manager, should realise that appointing Stringer then Walker was a result of the kind of long development that we are trying to put in place now.  Lambert could have put something long term in place, but didn''t, Hughton tried but failed. Now we are back to a Norwich way that existed from 1973 through to 1995.  22 years of Bond/Brown/Stringer/Walker and club development from within. 

We''ve got Adams Robson and Holt hopefully for a few years, with maybe someone else in the ranks coming through to replace them when the time comes.  Long term club development from within would always be my preferred approach for the club and the success and well being of the club is far more likely to be in good hands if we do that.  Bringing in outsiders rarely seems to work, although Saunders and Lambert did good short term jobs for us.  The rest Roeder, Rioch etc..........well, maybe apart from Worthy.......not anything to write home about. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Please can he be the next Dave Stringer. A much better prospect.

[/quote]

Maybe a combination of Dave Stringer and Mike Walker would do the trick......

[/quote]It had to happen sometime - I agree 100% with LDC.For the record, I admit I was far too pessimistic over the Wolves result, and the situation looks much healthier now.

Lakey you failed to mention David Williams who was probably responsible for the best football we ever played. But as you rightly said Dave Stringer was the foundation of everything that happened in the late 80s and early 90s. Stringer, like Adams had previously won the youth cup. Stringer like Adams had played for the club with distinction. And I hope Adams, like Stringer is here for keeps. I see Mike Walker as more like Paul Lambert. When he came in he got more from the squad of players already here. But like Lambert with Villa Walker left when Everton came calling. Now I know Chase selling everyone didn''t help Walker. But, like Lambert I think Walker knew when his stock was highest.

It''s for those reasons that I hope Adams is another Stringer. Perhaps Gary Holt or Mark Robson will be another Williams or Walker. Or perhaps another Walker will join the club in a few years time.

Absolutely yes. If we can establish another dynasty here at Norwich then what a future we will have. So pleased that the Board recognised the outstanding qualities that NA has and I hope he is able to repay them, somehow I know he will.

Well said Nutty. Williams name is not banded about enough, when it comes to the influence on our playing style. He was a very important part of a great era to watch

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]always be the first someone.. not the next anyone....[/quote]

Hang on Jas, you''re not Bernie Patterson are you?

Let''s not get too carried away just yet.The Walker years were the best ever as a City fan in my opinion. We are a long long way from challenging the biggest teams in the land and beating them.

It really is a bit early to make comparisons against either Walker or Stringer.....and as usual, when we lose a game or two we have over negativity and then when we win a few the praise is way over the top.

Sure, THIS season after a few games so far so good, although a couple of those wins could have gone either way. Having at last got to a game on Saturday, it is also very clear we are some way off the finished article this season. I thought we were very decent in patches but lacked energy and bite against a very decent side, but in a game we should have put away, something that I am sure NA and his team are working on.

As for last season, even though only a few matches, I saw that as a complete failure particularly tactically when we had to win to stay up.

So, on balance in terms of performances, a long way to go, but early signs are certainly very promising now he has his own team and squad.....and I cant help but be impressed by the transfer activity, which leaves him with probably the strongest squad in The Championship to work with.

If he gets us up, only then can you really start making comparisons with the great Mike Walker and brilliant Dave Stringer.......but, it would be amazing if he does reach those heights, as in particular our club is a club that needs stability.

I''m with Dubai Mark on this. Just as it was wrong to have knee jerk reactions against Hughton, it would be wrong to use 6 games this season to judge NA, but of course the signs are good so at the moment I am very much encouraged and I like the look and balance of the squad.

The most interesting point though is about building that "dynasty". This is where I believe we have suffered in the recent past- Lambert came with a team as did Hughton. The result is that existing senior coaching staff leave, a new team implanted, then when they leave there is a huge gap in management infrastructure, which then leads to a new team being flown in. If we can get back to a situation where we have natural successors who know the players and the issues then this would be far healthier, and changes in coaching or managerial staff much less disruptive. I would guess that both Hughton and Lambert were much more short term in their thinking- concentrating on their success through the medium of NCFC whereas I would hope that NA and the current regime are seeking to build something more sustainable which endures beyond their tenure.

This is where the "cosy" nature of the appointment which riled so many may actually pay off. McNally and co. will surely find it easier to assist in building for the long term with NA than a new manager insisting on bringing his own group of coaches and staff. The latter may derive some short term success, but if it is set right the former could actually be a much better long term proposition for us even if the first season does not produce the instant results.

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]always be the first someone.. not the next anyone....
[/quote] Hang on Jas, you''re not Bernie Patterson are you?[/quote]

who''s Bernie patterson?

in all honesty, my comment is valid... we see all the time "the next rooney" "the Next Pele" "the next Messi".. heaping pressure onto someone to be something they are not...

if they say "he isn''t the next Messi, but the First John Smith".. then that way people sit up and take notice.