Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

England and the small crowds

[quote user="STAN"]Passion & Pride.

The players are lined up at the start of every game and forced to sing a song about God saving our glorified tourist attraction.

God save our Queen? 90% of English footballers couldn''t give a t*ss about the Queen. Does the Queen care about me? No. Do I care about the Queen? No. I don''t wish nothing bad upon her but she means as much to me as my neighbour 5 doors down the road. In fact the said neighbour probably means more.

Secondly.. England''s a shithole. How many players are proud and passionate of/about this country?

This is our problem.[/quote]

It''s probably just a shithole where you live. It''s what you make it and judging by your language you choose to make it shit.

We do have a beautiful country, you just need to get out more.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Players get paid £250k per week by their clubs.

These clubs make investments in these assets of upwards of £100m.

The FA pay nominal insurance if these assets get injured.

The clubs are billion pound businesses, lending their assets for free, assets which may come back damaged.

Agents may have a single HNW client.

The English game is financially far ahead of other leagues, however educationally, developmentally and tactically it is far, far behind.

Our helter skelter approach leads to more chances, goals and attacking play than other leagues. When players from other cultures revert to playing for their country, they play a more considered tactical game that is natural to them.

Our helter skelter approach does not translate to international football (it may also increase likelihood of injury.

A scary possibility may be (alluded to in the Suarez-Sturridge) analysis, is that our players actually look better than they are, because they are carried by superior foreign talent.

The combination of these factors lead to the status quo of the England Team.

...io tifo per l''Italia....

Parma[/quote]This is not a new phenomenon/problem. After the Hungarians beat England 6-3 at Wembley (with a not terribly complicated system that still baffled the defenders) there was talk of the need to be more tactically aware, and it gets repeated after pretty much every exit from a tournament.But factors mentioned here and on another thread, such as poor coaching and the preponderance of overseas players in the smart positions, have helped to ensure nothing much has changed.An objective view would be that England have very rarely been terribly good at international football (even if now is worse than usual). If reaching the semi-final of a tournament is taken as reasonable measure of success then England''s record of twice in the World Cup and twice in the Euros is pitiful for a supposedly major nation.From reading histories of the game and from living through the more recent times I would say that since the World Cup started in 1930 there have only been two periods when England had a team that was clearly in the top two or three in the world. The Ramsey era from 1966 to 1970, and before that the 1930s, with the likes of Matthews, Bastin, Carter and Lawton. But England, being England, decided the three World Cups of that decade were beneath them.

Whenever a (not just football) team gets beat, and the manager and (mainly) players get wheeled out in front of the media and they say ''we have to learn from this'', I cringe. What we are seeing, in terms of mistakes, is often repeated.

I know you can''t just ignore a defeat, but surely after all this time, someone must have written the complete manual of tactics? :)

Or is it just that players are running out of something fresh/meaningful to say in these interviews.....?

You often hear the argument these days that because the Premiership is only 30% English qualified players therefore we have no hope. Well this may be true, but after the World Cup Final in 1962 until the 1998 qualification started (so a period of around 34 odd years) we only qualified for the finals competitively 3 times. So it is not as though we were any more competitive when the old First Division was almost entirely home qualified players. Suggests that Purple is right and that we are and maybe always will be just a bit rubbish at international football!

Trying to put a desperate positive spin on the dire state of the England team, I have at least been able to get tickets for my son and me in the family enclosure for the qualifier against Slovenia for £30 (thats for both of us!)

Incredibly good value given a premier league ticket could cost me alone £60. Granted I will have to sit through another depressing 90 minutes but well worth the £30 just for the excitment of my son who is already counting down the days until he sees england and visits wembley for the first time. Oh for the innocence of youth!!

One of the really frustrating thing about the England situation is the knowledge that it could be turned around if only the will was there.For example, look at what has been achieved with British Cycling over the last decade.For a football example, look at the German response to going out of Euro 2000 at the group stage.So if the performance of the England team mattered to the FA, they would overhaul the structure of the game in England to give us a fighting chance of success.

[quote user="Satoshi Nakamoto"]One of the really frustrating thing about the England situation is the knowledge that it could be turned around if only the will was there.For example, look at what has been achieved with British Cycling over the last decade.For a football example, look at the German response to going out of Euro 2000 at the group stage.So if the performance of the England team mattered to the FA, they would overhaul the structure of the game in England to give us a fighting chance of success.[/quote]

People have been saying the same about the FA since 1972.  British institutions such as the FA and LTA suffered for years under the "old boy network" in the way they were run - and I suspect still are.  Old habits die hard and these institutions constantly fail to take the necessary steps because it would threaten their lofty positions.  From the days of Clough not being given the manager''s job, it has ever been thus.   If someone had the vision to have done what the Germans did in 2000, it would have been squashed before it got anywhere.  Tennis and football have both been like this since I can remember.    Germany are to be admired for their achievements, but it would never happen here on a big enough scale.