Sign in to follow this  
he

Bassong

What will happen with Bassong now? Can he be loaned out or is to late now?

Going abroad on loan is not an option unless we pay his contract up and he becomes a free agent - given teh length of his contract that looks unlikely.

Only a move to a wealthy champs team looks viable, or remaining with our stiffs. A real possibility of him becoming our Ben Haim / Bogarde

One day, hopefully, all will be revealed.

In the meantime, I am struggling to recall a more mysterious situation at the Club, ever.

Is there some dark secret that cannot be revealed to us mere supporters?

The KGB could learn a bit from the events at Carrow Road surrounding Bassong.

To be fair Broadstairs, i think the signing and then non-playing of Becchio just about tops this Bassong situation. I think its obvious by now its an attitude and mental issue preventing bassong from playing for us. He was obviously loyal to Hughton who he had played under twice before, and probably wasn''t happy about his sacking and subsequent replacement with a manager with no previous experience. For him to still be out in the cold he must have really had a big fallout with the managerial team or McNally. Adams has given everyone else second chances and players such as Wes have come full circle and back into the team. The fact that Bassong hasn''t speaks volumes about his attitude. I was surprised no other clubs came in for him though. Maybe his reputation is preceding him?

If there is no way back for him then we must be able to loan him somewhere - even if we pay half his wages it would be better than this.

Any idea how much longer his contract has left to run?

Unless we can find someone to sign him, we are contracted to continue to pay his wages until, and just after, his contract runs out.

Meantime, we are presumably not allowing him to train with the first team squad, and we would be within our rights, I suspect, to require him to turn out for the Development Squad matches. If he breaks his contract then presumably we could dismiss him.

Is it just a big sulk, or is there some kind of psychological problem?

How long does he have left on his contract, and how much would we have to write-off?

We may know the answers to these questions if it becomes public knowledge. Two things are clear - he is costing us money and he is damaging his own reputation and employability.

Whatever has happened to precipitate this worsening situation with him it can''t just be the accusation of his "...are we supposed to know who you are?" comment to Adams on his appointment?

A fit Bassong with a good attitude to boot (two big asks) is one of, if not, our best player and would be a shoe in fot the starting XI. Not Captain mind (and now I find myself wondering about the circumstances that led to his being appointed "joint" Captain, was that a request of his that we somehow felt we had to give in to?) but as sure as hell a good player to have. I remember his debut against QPR, early on they bombed a high ball into our area, he caught it on his thigh, let it drop, took a step forward and then played a pass to feet to one of our players-collective awe abounded!

He and Turner/Bennett would mop up most attacks in this division with ease-and with some it would be cigar time.

Would like to think he and NA could sort out any differences they might have and he got back into contention. Seems a distant hope at the moment.

I think the contract is until June 16 - whats its worth per week (allowing for Dec 13 increase and the subsequent relegation cut) is open to speculation but could be worth c£2m?

I really thought ''arry would want him at QPR. He''d compliment Rio, Dunne and Caulker a bit more as he has got a turn of pace the other three don''t have.

I honestly hope he shows up, gets fit and challenges for a first team place again. The fans wouldn''t get on his back if he came back fighting. On his day as we''ve seen, he''s not only the best defender at the club but also our best player, it''s sad how it''s turned out.

Either way, providing he''s not massively downgraded, he''ll be useful to me on FIFA 15!

[quote user="MancCanary"]....i think the signing and then non-playing of Becchio just about tops this Bassong situation....[/quote]

I think the Becchio deal made perfect sense: we offloaded a player (SM) who was unhappy and potentially disruptive, Leeds did likewise. We got a player who could''ve been a success, but the manager(s) decided he wasn''t up to the job upon closer inspection.

I heard on the grapevine that if Bassong plays another competitive game for the club it releases a cause in his contract which takes away his relegation cause. Therefore he will remain on high wages.

Not sure how many he has played so would be interesting to know if true.

As of match played 2 March 2014[22]

ClubSeasonLeagueFA CupLeague CupEuropeTotal
DivisionAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoals
FC Metz2005–06Ligue 1230000000230
2006–07Ligue 2371000000371
2007–08Ligue 1190000000190
Total791000000791
Newcastle United2008–09Premier League300202000340
Total300202000340
Tottenham Hotspur2009–10Premier League281703000381
2010–11Premier League121201051202
2011–12Premier League50101060130
Total45210050111713
Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan)2011–12Premier League9000000090
Total9000000000
Norwich City2012–13Premier League343001000353
2013–14Premier League230102000260
Total573103000613
Career total22061301001112547

Makes his total 61 for Norwich which would be a strange tally on a contract clause. Anyone else heard this?

Or maybe the guy has a personal issue which means he is being given time out? A breakdown or something... just saying there are lots of possible explanations and we just don''t know why he is both vanished and yet not been moved on.

I''ve heard a couple of stories. One of them being that one of Bassong''s decisions as captain was to split the squad in to two distinct social groups. Nobody was allowed to cross the divide, so to speak. It was felt that such a divisive character would be detrimental to the clubs success.

The other one was that when Adams turned up for his first day''s training, Bassong asked him if they (the team) were ''supposed to know who'' he was. Adams immediately removed him from the squad for undermining his authority as manager.

The second seems the most likely to me. But it is just hearsay. I guess we will probably never know. Until Neyul releases his autobiography at least!

I suspect the fact that we now have five central defenders plus him in the squad probably tells the story on it''s own. He is clearly out of the picture at the moment.I think it could be really simple. He was brought in by Hughton, and both of them said he signed because of their time at Newcastle together. If Bassong only came in due to Hughton, it''s probably fair to think that little else brought him to us other than Premier League football and money.The problem could be that he considers himself too good for the Championship. I am surprised that a Turkish team hasn''t come in for him - he seems to be just the sort of player they sign. As has been pointed out by several pinkun members - on his day he is a fantastic player worthy of Newcastle or Spurs but he has now been involved in how many relegations?I imagine he told Adams he no longer wanted to be here and that he was allowed to look for a new club but none would put in an offer that meets the valuation of the player. £3-4million would be more than fair. He might be worth more than that but would he command it right now?

[quote user="chicken"]I suspect the fact that we now have five central defenders plus him in the squad probably tells the story on it''s own. He is clearly out of the picture at the moment.I think it could be really simple. He was brought in by Hughton, and both of them said he signed because of their time at Newcastle together. If Bassong only came in due to Hughton, it''s probably fair to think that little else brought him to us other than Premier League football and money.The problem could be that he considers himself too good for the Championship. I am surprised that a Turkish team hasn''t come in for him - he seems to be just the sort of player they sign. As has been pointed out by several pinkun members - on his day he is a fantastic player worthy of Newcastle or Spurs but he has now been involved in how many relegations?I imagine he told Adams he no longer wanted to be here and that he was allowed to look for a new club but none would put in an offer that meets the valuation of the player. £3-4million would be more than fair. He might be worth more than that but would he command it right now?[/quote]According to Wikipedia he has played for FC Metz, Newcastle, Spurs, Wolves and us. All of those teams, bar Tottenham, have been relegated whilst he was playing for them.