Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Shirt numbers

People were looking a lot into RVW shirt change, with the two newly signed defenders being 12 and 15 and mcgrandles and vadis being the high 30''s I''m unsure how they pick the numbers ?

I wouldn''t read too much into shirt numbers. They can change easily enough.

It meant more in the old days but means less now. The only time it really means something is when you have a high profile player with one of the traditionally much coveted numbers suddenly doesn''t have it anymore.

Otherwise some players pick their own numbers that an be anything within reason.

[quote user="chicken"]I wouldn''t read too much into shirt numbers. They can change easily enough.

It meant more in the old days but means less now. The only time it really means something is when you have a high profile player with one of the traditionally much coveted numbers suddenly doesn''t have it anymore.

Otherwise some players pick their own numbers that an be anything within reason.[/quote]

A case in point being Remy who has apparently turned down the no. 9 shirt at Chelsea in favour of no. 18

I believe the shirt numbers are drawn in the same way the FA Cup numbers used to be drawnhere(15 secs in)

.........the rest is well worth a watch, and shows little has changed in football

[quote user="percy varco"]Is it me or is the number 23 shirt

usually worn by an uphimself knob at most clubs?[/quote]

I''m guessing that''s a Michael Jordan/David Beckham thing, though in our case ,coincidently or not, Martin Olsson''s sister is married to one of the currently more high profile NBA stars ,Dirk Nowitzki?

whether this is true of football squad numbers or not, when you see groups of lads on holiday with matching printed tee-shirts with names and numbers on their backs you can always guarantee that the one who chose the number 69 is going to be the real "joker" in the pack.

for "joker" read tit.