Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

Twist or stick?

Do we stick to the side that drew with Bournemouth or bring one or two of our new signings in? Particularly the defenders.

Does Martin move to full back to allow a better central defender to take his place in the middle? Does Garrido keep his place over Olsson?

Personally I''d keep everything the same other than Central defence move Martin to right back and Hoolfeld or whatever his name is, alongside Turner.

We can have a strong subs bench to bring on if anyone is struggling.

We have signed a few very good players and to be fair I think the team last week could have done with freshening up.

Murphy deserves a chance to start.

Looking at how Lafferty played at the weekend for NI I''d go for a 4-3-3/4-4-2 sort of thing.

Back 4 would be unchanged apart from Olsson back in, then we''d go Tettey screening the back 4, Johnno left centre and VOO right Centre. Redmond Left wing and Lafferty right wing, Grabban up top. This would morph to 4-4-2 with Lafferty up front and VOO right mid when the game suited. The likes of Hooiveld, Hooper, Garrido, Jerome, Howson and Wes would be unlucky to miss out though. That and Rudd would be my bench.

Stick for me - against a good bournemouth side we could have won the game in the first half but for some poor finishing an a team (not just redmond) lapse in concentration seconds before half time - teh second half bournemouth improved and that will happen many times against the better sides in this league - we just have to ensure we take our chances when they arrive...

As such the recent starting 11 have earned their right to keep their places.

What they will know is that we have Iggy,  Hooiveld, Olsson,  Vadis, Howson, Murphy, Jerome, Hooper all pushing for their right to start,  and one very impressive bench it makes too. 

I don''t think there''s an urgent need to twist and at the moment nobody is really letting the side down. It''s good to keep the momentum going.

However, it is also important to keep the opposition guessing. We all know what it''s like - teams work you out and find a way to deal with you.

No urgent need to twist, but I am pretty confident Vadis will be involved in some way, likely as a sub.

I would like us to try a 4-4-2 soon, and with the purchase of Vadis we may have the player material for it.

It will accomodate the threat of Lafferty better, as I think he could be well suited in a partnership with Grabban up front.

But likely it will be the usual 4-2-3-1 formation vs Cardiff, with the same player material starting, except for Martin being pushed to RB, and either Cuellar or Hoojveld playing alongside Turner.

I would like to see some more penetration from our midfield though, so Vadis for Johnson would be welcome for me. Not sure of his fitness though.

Have the new players got their international clearances yet? Have seen nothing of it mentioned anywhere. But then I am a long way from the centre of the action.

I agree Bennett to counter Pilkington( if he''s not injured)

But drop Redmond ,, not Lafferty !

At the back ,, I don''t understand people wanting Garrido replaced by Olson ,, Garrido has been very effective down the left ,,, Olson looked disinterested up until his ban .

Too soon for Murphy to start IMO. Came on against Bournemouth and got lost in the game. Would''ve been better bringing him on on 75/80 minutes and letting him have some impact, like against Blackburn.

I''d keep him on the bench for a few games yet.

I would bring in Hooiveld, if he is match fit, and put Martin at RB, with Olsson returning at LB. In front of the back four Tettey. A midfield of Redmond,Johnson and O-O, and Grabban with Wes or Lafferty up front.

If everyone except Bennett is now fit and available, NA may surprise us - Howson, Jerome, Hooper. It is now becoming clear that NA and his team fully analyse each opposing team and adopt formation and selection to counter any threat.

As other people have commented, NA has an excellent squad with few real weaknesses. I for one look forward with keen anticipation to see how he keeps them all happy and committed, and trying to guess his approach in any coming game could be difficult.