Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

The first "City Legend" you remember....

Johnny Gavin was mine, look him up if he was before your time.Still City''s highest goalscorer of all time. Not very big but quick and strong, good with both feet and his head.Redmond couldn''t lace his boots.

Terry ''The Count'' Allcock, Barry Butler, a life cut cruelly short, Tommy Bryceland, Bill Punton and the great Ron Davies. I too remember that 4-0 thrashing at Kenilworth Road with Ron putting us to the sword. The greatest goal I saw him score was also a 25-30 yarder against Cardiff City - with his head, half way in their half at the Barclay end. Simply the best centre forward this club has ever had!

Butler, Brennan & Bryceland, followed by Keelan and definitely Ron Davies.

If I had to pick 2 from those I would say Barry Butler and Ron Davies. Who were both brilliant at different ends of the pitch.

[quote user="Ultimate Canary"]For sheer Norwichness, you can''t beat a bit of Butterworth.[/quote]

I reckon Ian Culverhouse would have something to say about that.

A legend will probably have both the skill and charisma and for me also it has to be Keelan.

All the great names have been named here bar Dave Stringer, Norwich through and through, always a favourite of mine.

[quote user="Niaga Dessip"]A legend will probably have both the skill and charisma and for me also it has to be Keelan.

All the great names have been named here bar Dave Stringer, Norwich through and through, always a favourite of mine.[/quote]Stringer was the quieter of the awesome central pairing at the back in the early seventies, but one of the most effective and consistent defenders we''ve ever had - and player of the season in the promotion year of 1971/72.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrUvYm_HaVs

I can just remember Bobby Brennan - a left winger who had such ball control when he dribbled that he could beat defenders almost at will down the touchline. He regularly supplied excellent final balls that led to many goals. I have not since seen any player who could dribble past lunging defenders in such tight circumstances.

He continued to live in Norwich when his footballing career was over, and I saw him once or twice as a car salesman.

Mark, I always remember speaking to Ron on Liverpool St Station after a London game. Can you imagine that today. The team traveled by train in those days.

I recall asking him why he had the nickname "Kipper" he said it was because of the size of his feet. What feet they were.Best header of a ball ever to grace a city shirt.

Broke most supporters hearts when City sold him to Southampton for around £55,000, having paid £35,000 to Luton.