Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

The first "City Legend" you remember....

Reading the thread about the Norwich City Welsh team reminded me of Ron Davies........a real City legend, but one I just missed when I started supporting the club back in 1968.

It would be great to read some memories of Ron Davies from those who can remember him.

Also, to the subject matter.......the first City Legend I can remember was the magnificent Kevin Keelan, surely the best English (yes born in Calcutta, but qualified to play for England) GK never to play for his country.

While I am here, the other early legend I remember who must always get a mention was the absolute world class Martin Peters......if a player ever made the game look easy, then the great Martin Peters did.

So, who was the first legend you can remember at Carrow Road?

Curran most definitely was a legend Lakey. I actually cried when he was sold to Wolves[:''(]

But the first I remember is Tommy Bryceland who I often still think of as my favourite ever player.

At that time Terry Allcock was a real legend about the club but by then he was plying his trade at wing half. But after Curran was sold he did get a swansong up front and I saw him, as a centre forward, score the winning goal at home to Huddersfield one sunny 60s Easter Monday.

Yes Mark- Ron Davies is certainly a Nowich Legend - just after Ron Hunt and Barry Butler in my memory archive

I was fortunate to travel to Kenilworth Rd in the early sixties to see my beloved City thrashed 4-0 with Ron Davies netting all 4 goals

Then probably in 1964 Norwich were trailing 2-0 with not so long left Ron scored with a header and then produced , for me, the best goal I''ve seen at Carrow Rd

A diagonal ball from Phil Kelly found Ron with his back to goal 25 yds out He chested it down swivelled, and hit a volley into the top corner of Gary Sprakes net - thats what legends are made of

Just as an aside - I remember seeing him at the players entrance immalulate in blue blazer and very special tailored trousers - a real class act at the start of tge MOD era��Ca Carrow Rd

Gunn, Fleck and Fox....it makes me sad that fans of a certain age only know Bryan Gun as the club man/manager and not 475 games, an FA cup semi final, Europe and a place in a world cup squad...

[quote user="davisyellow69"]So many from different eras ...

Keith berstchin,

John Deehan,

Flecky,

Grant holt ...

All legends ,,,,,,,,[/quote]

Great to see Bertschin get a mention on this. He was up against it when he signed but he won us over and we loved him.

The one and only toothless Welshman Mr Iwan Roberts. What an absolute legend and I''m still gutted Worthy didn''t give him a cameo in the prem after all he done for the club

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Reading the thread about the Norwich City Welsh team reminded me of Ron Davies........a real City legend, but one I just missed when I started supporting the club back in 1968.

It would be great to read some memories of Ron Davies from those who can remember him.

Also, to the subject matter.......the first City Legend I can remember was the magnificent Kevin Keelan, surely the best English (yes born in Calcutta, but qualified to play for England) GK never to play for his country.

While I am here, the other early legend I remember who must always get a mention was the absolute world class Martin Peters......if a player ever made the game look easy, then the great Martin Peters did.

So, who was the first legend you can remember at Carrow Road?[/quote]I remember a midweek game early in the 1965-66 season. We had lost 4-3 at home to Southampton on the Saturday and then entertained Man City on the Wednesday. They had a centre-half called George Heslop, signed from Everton, making his debut. He may have thought stepping down a division meant the centre-forwards wouldn''t be so good, and most of them weren''t, of course.But Davies destroyed him. There was header at the Barclay End from a left wing centre that went in harder than most can kick a ball. And a turn of the halfway line that flummoxed Heslop, ending with a shot even harder than the header.But Heslop had the last laugh. Man City (and Southampton) went up and we stayed down. And Davies went to Southampton.

Keelan my first, legendary in some many ways that it puts so many other "legends" to shame

Has to be Keelan for me. Always remember him actually placing his hands on his hips once when a striker shot as if to pour scorn on his attempt, only to see the shot bounce in off the post! Can anyone tell me what game that was? I can''t recall. Anyway, a true legend.

I also loved Drinkell''s goals and his approach to the game. Hucks and Holt in the recent era.

Thanks southstand, I read a comment about Ron Davies by Matt Busby, clearly a real great at that time.

Now, seeing Terry Allcock''s name mentioned, reminded me that I went to his testimonial....vs Ipswich and a 3-1 win I think....as a lad I remember him looking so old :-).

Two more players I remember particularly fondly are Kevin Drinkell and Mick Channon, real solid characters, the type we need in the modern game.

Bill Punton. Then Ken Foggo and Charlie Crickmore. Jimmy Neighbour, Ruel Fox, Darren Huckerby.

I quite like wingers.

My first ever game my dad took me to stand on the Barclay terraces. I was so short I could only see about a five-square patch of the pitch. It was a night game and my abiding memory is of Bill Punton running in and out of that small green square. He was as bald as a coot and under the floodlights his sweating head shone as brilliantly as a full moon.

In the se cond half we attacked the Barclay and I saw nothing.

But Bill Punton will remain my first ever memory of CR and that glistening dome in the dark of the night makes him my first City lgend.

When i started watching in 1987 Kevin drinkell was nearing the end of his time with us, and we then bought Robert Fleck from Glasgow rangers

Flecky became my favourite player and my first city legend, Followed by Bryan Gunn

[quote user="canarycop"]For me and from first game I ever saw, Kevin Keelan and big David Cross.A proper centre forward[/quote]

Kevin Keelan for me as well. Just unbelievable that he never won an England cap. On an aside, David Cross''s daughter Kate is the the opening bowler for the England woman''s test team.