Sign in to follow this  
K Lo

Last 4-2 away comeback from being 2-0 at half-time ?

Would that have been the opening game of the 1st Premier League season away at Arsenal in ''92 ?2-0 down at half time with a severe beating on the cards for the 2nd half but 4 goals in about 17 minutes made the start for a great season. Mark Robins got one of the goals, if I remember !!http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/MatchDetails?comp_id=13&match_id=3412

I remember going to that game, bit cheesed off at half time.Arsenal 2

28` Steve Bould  39` Kevin Campbell

Norwich 4

69` Mark Robins

72` David Phillips

82` Ruel Fox

84` Mark Robins

I think Robins got a couple that day.I remeber it being 2-0 at half time and I was so fed up that I let Mrs Ricardo persuade me to go with her up to Sainsburys at Pound Lane. Turned on Radio Norfolk when we got back in the car to find we were 3-2 up and sat in the Car Park until the final whistle with Mrs R complaining that the frozen stuff would melt.Ahh, happy days.

[quote user="ricardo"]I think Robins got a couple that day.I remeber it being 2-0 at half time and I was so fed up that I let Mrs Ricardo persuade me to go with her up to Sainsburys at Pound Lane. Turned on Radio Norfolk when we got back in the car to find we were 3-2 up and sat in the Car Park until the final whistle with Mrs R complaining that the frozen stuff would melt.Ahh, happy days.[/quote]You did well driving from Highbury to Pound Lane in approx 35mins. Wish I had your car.

I remember being 2-0 down at home to Sheffield United and winning 4-2 but I think that we were back at 2-2 by half time

Think it may have either been Bellamys first game back from ''that'' injury or his last at Carrow Road

[quote user="ricardo"]I think Robins got a couple that day.I remeber it being 2-0 at half time and I was so fed up that I let Mrs Ricardo persuade me to go with her up to Sainsburys at Pound Lane. Turned on Radio Norfolk when we got back in the car to find we were 3-2 up and sat in the Car Park until the final whistle with Mrs R complaining that the frozen stuff would melt.Ahh, happy days.[/quote]A similarish story, ricardo. I was playing cricket. After being dismissed for not many when we batted after tea  I returned to the pavilion in a not very happy mood and turned on the radio to hear that with 25 minutes or so to go we were 2-0 down. Great, I thought. What a fantastic day of sport. NOT.Went out to umpire and and in a break in play our No.4 batsmen, who was a West Ham fan, called to the pavilion for some final London footie scores. And it was shouted back that Arsenal had lost 4-2 at home. No, I assured him, you are having your leg pulled. Arsenal were 2-0 with 25 minutes to go. they CANNOT have lost 4-2...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]I think Robins got a couple that day.I remeber it being 2-0 at half time and I was so fed up that I let Mrs Ricardo persuade me to go with her up to Sainsburys at Pound Lane. Turned on Radio Norfolk when we got back in the car to find we were 3-2 up and sat in the Car Park until the final whistle with Mrs R complaining that the frozen stuff would melt.Ahh, happy days.[/quote]A similarish story, ricardo. I was playing cricket. After being dismissed for not many when we batted after tea  I returned to the pavilion in a not very happy mood and turned on the radio to hear that with 25 minutes or so to go we were 2-0 down. Great, I thought. What a fantastic day of sport. NOT.Went out to umpire and and in a break in play our No.4 batsmen, who was a West Ham fan, called to the pavilion for some final London footie scores. And it was shouted back that Arsenal had lost 4-2 at home. No, I assured him, you are having your leg pulled. Arsenal were 2-0 with 25 minutes to go. they CANNOT have lost 4-2...[/quote]Of such things are legends made Purple. In years to come there will be people who will have similar tales to tell about today''s game.You''ve gotta love being a NCFC fan. So many ups and downs, it''s never boring like down at Poorman Rd.[;)]

Yep, mine was just like yours Ricardo.

Mine was an Asda moment getting some shopping with my mates, One a QPR fan who was taking the piss, and seeing the 2-0 score on a tv in there.

Got back to the house, and could not believe what I was seeing on final score.

Today I was driving out of Morrisons supermarket (on my own) when Wes''s goal went in and I punched the air and let out a ''Get in there'', and this woman who was trying to cross the road, gave me an ''unusual'' look!

Funny how these things stick in your mind

Nothing as exciting as visiting the supermarket - I was pulling out weeds in my front garden when my transistor told me that Robins had come on as a sub. In fact, I think ti was his debut for Norwich but that may be my memory playing tricks....Honestly, even at 0-2 I always thought we were going to get a draw today.

I went to Highbury that day, not realising that it was an all ticket match. Obviously didn''t get in so did some shopping instead. I was walking down Oxford Street and turned my radio on to hear the half-time scores and thought that perhaps it was lucky that I had missed out.

Then I tuned in at full-time and heard the commentator say that we had staged a comeback, so I thought that we had drawn.

When I got home I found out that we had won so I was rather peeed off that I hadn''t got in.

Then to make things worse, my dad told me that just after I had left the house, he had looked at the fixture list in the newspaper. ''What does a star next to a match mean?"

"That means it''s an all ticket match" I said.

I believe that it was many years before another side lost a Premiership match after having a 2 goal lead at half-time.

Just a month after the Highbury game, we did win 3-2 at Chelsea in similar circumstances - the ''Dave Beasant game!''.

We we''re 2-0 down within about 20mins after having to change on the coach due to traffic problems in London!

We were also 1-1 at Everton in 1993 when we scored 4 in the second half to win 5-1 - the Efan Ekoku game!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]I think Robins got a couple that day.I remeber it being 2-0 at half time and I was so fed up that I let Mrs Ricardo persuade me to go with her up to Sainsburys at Pound Lane. Turned on Radio Norfolk when we got back in the car to find we were 3-2 up and sat in the Car Park until the final whistle with Mrs R complaining that the frozen stuff would melt.Ahh, happy days.[/quote]A similarish story, ricardo. I was playing cricket. After being dismissed for not many when we batted after tea  I returned to the pavilion in a not very happy mood and turned on the radio to hear that with 25 minutes or so to go we were 2-0 down. Great, I thought. What a fantastic day of sport. NOT.Went out to umpire and and in a break in play our No.4 batsmen, who was a West Ham fan, called to the pavilion for some final London footie scores. And it was shouted back that Arsenal had lost 4-2 at home. No, I assured him, you are having your leg pulled. Arsenal were 2-0 with 25 minutes to go. they CANNOT have lost 4-2...[/quote]Of such things are legends made Purple. In years to come there will be people who will have similar tales to tell about today''s game.You''ve gotta love being a NCFC fan. So many ups and downs, it''s never boring like down at Poorman Rd.[;)][/quote]Yes, Ricardo. If there is a Heaven and they play a game there it will be cricket. But only football can do that!

Went to the game without ticket couldn''t get in so got train back to Stevenage. Popped into Stevenage game at half time to check score as gates were open. Heard 2-0 down went home to listen to what is now Soccer Saturday and couldn''t believe it as goals went in.

How weird is this, posted by a Cardiff fan on the Norwich Not606 forum about 14 hours before kick-off yesterday.

It answers a variation on the OP''s question. Hooper is even involved though on the other side.

"Hope it''s a good game today and that the best team take the spoils, as we need the points!

I take the opportunity to impart some of my memories of clashes against the mighty canaries.

29 Aug 1962 Cardiff City v Norwich City 2-4 League Division Two

I remember this game well, we had been relegated from the old first division, and we had a Kenyan international (one cap) left winger, Bristolian Peter Hooper who had a thunderbolt shot that rivalled the legendary Ipswich striker Ted "Cannonball " Phillips. He was knocking in goals regularly for City, most of which were unstoppable rockets from 30 yards plus. The crowd were chanting "Hooper, Hooper" as they did then, and he obliged with two in the first half, giving us a two nil interval lead.

We had a young and inexperienced goalkeeper Dilwyn John making a return to the side, replacing veteran Welsh international Graham Vernacombe, that night, and I recall him making a number of howlers, as Norwich clawed his way back into the game, scoring four second half goals. As a young kid, it was the first time that I had endured a "Cardiff City Experience", one that was to become a normality over the coming decades!"

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]I think Robins got a couple that day.I remeber it being 2-0 at half time and I was so fed up that I let Mrs Ricardo persuade me to go with her up to Sainsburys at Pound Lane. Turned on Radio Norfolk when we got back in the car to find we were 3-2 up and sat in the Car Park until the final whistle with Mrs R complaining that the frozen stuff would melt.Ahh, happy days.[/quote]A similarish story, ricardo. I was playing cricket. After being dismissed for not many when we batted after tea  I returned to the pavilion in a not very happy mood and turned on the radio to hear that with 25 minutes or so to go we were 2-0 down. Great, I thought. What a fantastic day of sport. NOT.Went out to umpire and and in a break in play our No.4 batsmen, who was a West Ham fan, called to the pavilion for some final London footie scores. And it was shouted back that Arsenal had lost 4-2 at home. No, I assured him, you are having your leg pulled. Arsenal were 2-0 with 25 minutes to go. they CANNOT have lost 4-2...[/quote]Of such things are legends made Purple. In years to come there will be people who will have similar tales to tell about today''s game.You''ve gotta love being a NCFC fan. So many ups and downs, it''s never boring like down at Poorman Rd.[;)][/quote]Ricardo, did you recall the game where you went shopping ? as it wasn''t against Arsenal, or are you like me the memory isn''t so good these days.