Sign in to follow this  
Robin Hood canary

Leroy Fer

I don''t think anyone is questioning that the guy has ability, you can see that. The problem is that it was few and far between and didn''t seem to want to put in much more than the bare minimum.

Last night was a great example, maybe he only has one speed but he certainly doesn''t seem like he''s prepared to chase back at anything other than a jog.

I think maybe he''s a bit deceptive buddy. Just because he doesn''t look like he''s busting a gut doesn''t mean he''s not covering the ground or making the runs. His stats show the opposite of what many on this thread claim to see.

Very few players get to play for, and score for, an international team ranked three in the world in the World Cup. Leroy Fer has.

Our memory of him is based on last season. Most of us now accept that last season we played a rigid system which did little to help attack-minded players. Most of Leroy''s attacking play was restricted by that system.

Nevertheless he has quality and it will shine through.

Please remember last weekend we played Cardiff City with a good team. He played against Manchester United as part of a poor team.

As he is now part of a more attack minded team than last season I am sure he will put in some very good performances against lesser teams.

Some of us still see it slightly differently buddy. Fer and Snoddy both got lower prem moves. You''ll probably forgive Snoddy in time too. He''s also a top international footballer. OK it''s only Scotland but to be the international player of the year is still a great achievement.

Fer and Redmond were the main two players brought to supply RVW. The fashionable thing has been to blame them when all the evidence points elsewhere. Yet RVW has continually been excused of all blame and the belief has been that once he gets free of Hughton, Snodgrass, Fer and Redmond the goals will go flying in....

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Sure we got a good deal for him after a pretty average season (and he wasnt the only one)......but, whilst not yet of the caliber to play for a top six EPL side, no way is Leroy Fer "dross". I expect him to have enough decent games for QPR to show he is one of their better players, particular once he gets his fitness up and plays against some of the lesser sides.

Had he stayed, at the level we are now playing he would surely have been a star performer....thankfully we have enough other quality players to not miss him.[/quote]

I don''t believe I said Fer specifically was dross. Just lazy and as a result his contribution was poor. Those Hooper passes Nutty mentioned were literally in 2 games (watford cup and WBA away) BJ''s pass to Snoddy for the goal and win home to spurs was just as good.

We are back to a team rather than supposed individual stars. RVW and CH were the dross, just so we are clear.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 15/09/2014 11:38 PM:

Some of us still see it slightly differently buddy. Fer and Snoddy both got lower prem moves. You''ll probably forgive Snoddy in time too. He''s also a top international footballer. OK it''s only Scotland but to be the international player of the year is still a great achievement.

Fer and Redmond were the main two players brought to supply RVW. The fashionable thing has been to blame them when all the evidence points elsewhere. Yet RVW has continually been excused of all blame and the belief has been that once he gets free of Hughton, Snodgrass, Fer and Redmond the goals will go flying in....

On the points mentioned ..... in quite a few previous posts I have made the point of Snoddy that I do not blame him as much as the role that he played. i.e. I cannot stand rigid inverted wingers on both wings. I accept his achievements, and for those he deserves to be congratulated, but would, once again, like to point out that Strachan did not play him as a right, inverted winger, but played him centrally. In that position he may well have had a future with us but if he had played in the position that he played for us last season, this season, I believe it would have been disastrous.

I believe the system used last season restricted much of Leroy Fer''s better points as he had so few outlets because of the narrow attacking policy.

Of Redmond, I believe the best is yet to come and that it could be very good. He has a manager who seems to encourage more crossing and less shooting, and from the right side!

It is noticeable that he has been instrumental in providing two right wing crosses, with his right foot, that have resulted in two very important goals for us in the last two matches. Long may it continue. As I have pointed out in the past I would liken him to Ruel Fox, the same pace, same strength and the same fear given to opposition defences.

I would be happy for see him operate on the right in the same way Ruel did.

Of RvW, I was like so many other fans ....... I had a dream. Sometimes it takes a long while to wake up to the truth. I still have a little hope but I am nearly awake!

You''re not alone in your dream buddy. Like so many of us I was led down the garden path a bit too. Our relegation was the result of many failings but for me the biggest one was that in six subsequent transfer windows we failed to improve on the striking options we were promoted with. This was particularly frustrating last season because we spent a record amount of money attempting to do it.

I''m off to Brentford and I don''t care whether Redmond crosses from the left or the right if we score. It''s time for me to move on.

Have a good day Nigel and hopefully an even better night. Unfortunately I have a hard day''s work in front of me and then a search for a stream or Radio Norfolk.