Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Adams Reaction "Tempo Was Key"

[quote user="ron obvious"]Adams is growing into the job superbly. Bar something awful happening, this is going to be a wonderful season.[/quote]it already is !

It really is starting to look good......but, lets be honest....anyone....all of us could see what the problem was in that first half, and also for the most part of the previous game. If you stroll around thinking just because you have a good team on paper and you played in the EPL last season you are going to win the match then what we saw happens......however, play to your ability and put the effort in, which also includes playing at a tempo and with some pace....and hey presto the better players will win matches.

So are you being critical about Adams and what he has said in the two weeks prior, and just before the team went out yesterday, of this game DM?

Or do you actually think Adams recognized this, but the players didn''t?

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]It really is starting to look good......but, lets be honest....anyone....all of us could see what the problem was in that first half, and also for the most part of the previous game. If you stroll around thinking just because you have a good team on paper and you played in the EPL last season you are going to win the match then what we saw happens......however, play to your ability and put the effort in, which also includes playing at a tempo and with some pace....and hey presto the better players will win matches.[/quote]

It''s just so simple isn''t it? That''s why every manager does it? Credit where credit is due I think, we''ve just watched two seasons where a highly rated manager couldn''t even make a decent substitute to save his life, let alone a tactical change.

...yet somehow managed to outperform his budget first season and in line with budget second season. About time the armchair experts moved on.

I have certainly praised NA several times on various threads recently.........I just dont get so carried away as some people after just a hand full of games....BUT, so far so good, things are looking up, he and the coaching team are doing well so far, and as I said elsewhere, if this carries on I can see me having a picture of him as my screen saver. Its weird how some on here like taking a pop at me when all I am being is balanced in my views based on the situation as I see it at the time....I don''t get as negative as some and conversely I don''t get as excited as soon as some.....but, have no problem at all with others views whether negative or positive as they are entitled to them.

He didn''t outperform. Anything the first season. He rode Lambert''s coattails but the dismantling was underway, but we still had Holt''s on field leadership to guide the players. Season 2 was all his doing. Capitulate before kickoff, please for draws at home against teams we have no business competing against, and win only when absolutely necessary to avoid a revolt from the fans. Except at home to WBA when it''s too late.

Dream on, T

[quote user="T"]...yet somehow managed to outperform his budget first season and in line with budget second season. About time the armchair experts moved on.[/quote]

If keeping us in budget was his only objective you would be right as it wasn''t you are wrong.

Dubai mark, I saw the way you reacted on the pinkun lie coverage.

It''s pretty obvious what "type" of fan you are

That''s interesting Buh.....so what "type" of fan am I then?

My reaction on the Pink-un live coverage was consistent with my comments on here and similar to many others. I remember commenting on just how dire we were in the first half, but also mentioning that I still felt at half time with a rocket behind then the team was capable of pulling the game back to 2-2. I also mentioned before the game that we needed a better performance than the one we witnessed in the previous game, when I saw a team not giving enough and not playing close to their potential and similar happened in the first half yesterday. Despite the brilliant second half performance and great result, the first half did still happen and credit to NA and the players for turning things round.

Now, I am intrigued to know exactly what "type" of fan I am? Explain yourself please........

asides from tempo i thought what was key was switching to a 442 with redmond down the rightback to basics, worked wonders, balls in the box from pacey wingers and enough players in there to compete for them, jumpers for goalposts, simples

Pineapple - you are making a subjective assessment. I''m making an objective statement of fact.

To not give credit for our highest post sky era finish and blame one individual for a par performance is just plain prejudice.

I also did not enjoy the tactics and style under CH last season but recognise that the likes of Alladyce, Bruce and Pulis also play a prosaic form of football as they believe backed by statistical analysis that is the best way to get results in the premier league with limited resouces. As recent programme on scottish election showed most people make an emotional decision and then look for facts to support their biased opinion. If you look at CH objectively he did well first season and ok second - ok is not good enough to keep NCFC in premier league. Clearly the transfers did not work which was not just down to CH. Some objective grasp of reality would not go amiss.

I think Mark is being fair, the way we played yesterday except Turner and Hooiveld was playing to Cardiff''s strengths. Lafferty hasn''t been effective for the last few games and it was clear that we needed to replace him (not that he''s been bad, just that there''s more talent on the bench than what he''s shown recently) - (see prediction for starting 11 v Cardiff). Although we didn''t expect the poor passing from the likes of Wes and BJ (who I think needs to be dropped next game), which was partly due to our wingers being too far apart and our CM''s too close together leaving space, Mark has also given credit to Adams for changing it round.

Thanks for the support mm, I certainly have no problem giving Neil Adams credit, and so far to date this season he and his coaching team have done well and long may it continue. As I have said many times on here, our club needs stability and I like many others am hoping that we now have it....it''s just a bit early to get carried away, that''s all :-)

Buh.....I await your detailed response as to what "type" of fan you believe me to be...and you could also perhaps explain what "type" of fan you are? Not that I am interested, it just seems only fair to me :-)

Well Mrs M, perhaps I read DMs post, from another angle. It looked like he was saying it was obvious what the problem was since half time vs Bournemouth, and it had still carried on through the first half yesterday. It was so obvious, that ''everyone'' could see what it was, but Adams, et al, obviously had not put this over to the players until half time yesterday.

If I did misinterpret that, then I apologise

Nothing to apologise about. Let me be clear, surely it was obvious from the Bournemouth game that the team lacked energy and urgency? Also, this was the case yesterday in the first half, and yes we could all see it, surely?

I am sure that NA did see it against Bournemouth because I am sure he mentioned it in a post match interview. Likewise, I am sure he set the team up not to play that way in the first half, but they did....it happens...he saw it again like we all did, and probably gave them a rocket and rectified it like you would expect, to a fantastic effect.

You can dissect what I have said again if you wish, just having an opinion.

Right now I am very happy with what NA and his coaching team have achieved....but, still believe it is a little early to get carried away. Now, if in another half dozen or so games when the league has started to settle, we are in a similar position, then I too, will I am sure be convinced that we have the right management team in place to take us to the automatic promotion place I and several others predicted before the season started.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]if this carries on I can see me having a picture of him as my screen saver.[/quote]Lol. Whatever turns you on! [:D]

T,

If he managed based on statistics, that is even worse. What he did do, and this is more the fault of the ones who hired him, was implement a game plan that went completely against our strengths. The team was weaker for that. He should never have been hired by us. We needed someone who could take the ball and run with it. CH deflated it and tried to pump it up again.

Record signings for strikers was stupid if they were never going to be used properly. I''m sure ROW would have done much better had Lambert been in charge. I don''t blame CH for the signing. It seems there was no communication between the board and the people on the pitch because I doubt CH would have wanted to waste £8 million on players he has no use for.

People can make all the subjective emotional observations they want but it just goes to show that people tend to hold these views in denial of the rational objective facts.

All sports now use statistical analysis to make decisions. Clearly the evidence is that a defensive strategy is the most effective one for a club with the least resources. Many people are in denial of reality and will continue to be so as they want to believe they are right despite that all the evidence is to the contrary. Its just evidence of natural human fallacy.

I don''t usually revisit a thread so many times.......but, I am still waiting for Buh to put some facts behind knowing what "type" of fan I am?

Our tempo did pick up in the second half but that was not down to Lafferty being subbed. From the games I''ve seen Lafferty is a hight tempo player anyway and as Adams said his substitution was down to a possible sending off that we couldn''t afford. I''ve noticed in other games that Lafferty is reckless at times tracking back trying to win back the ball. However winning the ball back in those situations has a positive effect on our tempo. He would be unlucky to be left out on Tuesday but so would any of the team from yesterday''s second half. That''s the beauty of having a strong competitive squad.

Laffertey adds so much enthusiasm. My worry is if he''s dropped in favour of jerome, who has deservedly added his name into the starting mix up, we will lose some of that urgency.