Sign in to follow this  
pete

How many former players have impressed?

How many players have we released or transferred gone on to better things.

Certainly Steve Bruce and Dean Ashton who would have been Englands best striker if Wright Phillips hadn''t ended his career. Apart from those I cannot remember any other notable exceptions.

None of the players who went to Rangers in the 80''s Woods, Gordon or Drinkell although won titles it was only Scotland.

Doesn''t look like Leroy or Snoddy are going to reverse the trend.

I am sure there must be others please remind me.

I reckon Craig Bellamy would argue that he did ok.

Andy Linighan at Arsenal and Ruel Fox did pretty well too.

Chris Sutton did well everywhere bar Chelsea and I wouldn''t write Fer or Snodgrass off just yet.

Dave Watson won both the First Division title and the FA Cup with Everton. I believe he was Captain for the Cup win.

I''d disagree with what you said about Chris Woods. Marvelous goalkeeper, and with 43 caps for England it must make him the most capped England international to have ever played for us after Martin Peters. It is also likely that had he not been competing with Peter Shilton for most of that time he would have won many more caps.Other than Fox, Sutton, Bellamy and Linighan there are also players like Andy Townsend, Mike Phelan, Efan Ekoku, Dave Watson, Rob Green,  Rob Ullathorne, Tim Sherwood, Spencer Prior, Matt Jackson, Darren Eadie, John Fashanu, Ade Akinbiyi, Dickson Ethuhu. OK not all of them are world beaters, and some are better than others. But all made very decent careers for themselves after leaving Norwich, many going on to play for clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd where they won trophies and/or competed in World Cups.Has every player we''ve ever sold gone on to bigger and better things? Definitely not, but many have and like Paul said I wouldn''t write off Snoddy and Fer as failures just yet. One has just had a season ending injury and the other has played just 3 games for his new team.

[quote user="pete"] Dean Ashton who would have been Englands best striker if Wright Phillips hadn''t ended his career.  [/quote]

He wouldn''t. Not with Rooney around.

Ashton would have been one of the better strikers available to England and I''m sure he''d have been part of squads but Rooney would still have been the main man.

Darren Huckerby impressed in the MLS. And maybe Darren Bentley while he was at Blackburn before he went completely south.

I''m sure if Eadie didn''t have all his injury problems he would of had played for a big club and been a England regular.

Bellamy also had quite a few injuries, so probably would had a better career, although he didn''t do too badly. His reputation probably didn''t help him either.

Did manage to forget quite a few. But apart from those mentioned few ever made it.

[quote user="GJP"]Huckerby didn''t play for England. Why would Eadie have?[/quote]

Well Eadie was called for Le Tournoi whilst with us the year before the 98 World Cup but had to pull out with injury. If Eadie had been as fit and lucky with injuries as Hucks then he would have played for England.

''''He wouldn''t. Not with Rooney around.

Ashton would have been one of the better strikers available to England and I''m sure he''d have been part of squads but Rooney would still have been the main man.''''

Rooney is to England and Man U what Snoddy was for us, ok ,scores a few goals but is too demanding of the ball, even when he''s not in a great position, he has also become an arch whinger just like snoddy and for some reason is ''undroppable''. Formations are changed ,just to accommodate him.

Dean Ashton would have become one of the best Centre Forwards England ever had, his all round game was excellent. Its such a shame that we didnt get to see him fulfill his potential.

[quote user="GJP"]Huckerby didn''t play for England. Why would Eadie have?[/quote]

Firstly there was a lack of English left wingers. Huckerby spent most of his career as a striker. Eadie probably would of gone on to be a better player then Huckerby.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]''''He wouldn''t. Not with Rooney around. Ashton would have been one of the better strikers available to England and I''m sure he''d have been part of squads but Rooney would still have been the main man.'''' Rooney is to England and Man U what Snoddy was for us, ok ,scores a few goals but is too demanding of the ball, even when he''s not in a great position, he has also become an arch whinger just like snoddy and for some reason is ''undroppable''. Formations are changed ,just to accommodate him. Dean Ashton would have become one of the best Centre Forwards England ever had, his all round game was excellent. Its such a shame that we didnt get to see him fulfill his potential.[/quote]

But in some ways that''s not Rooney''s fault and is something of an endorsement of his importance to the team.

I''m not saying Ashton wasn''t a good, good player but Rooney is/was better.

Bear in mind that when Ashton came to us Rooney (who is 2 years younger than Ashton) was already playing for Man Utd.

[quote user="mre2"][quote user="GJP"]Huckerby didn''t play for England. Why would Eadie have?[/quote] Firstly there was a lack of English left wingers. Huckerby spent most of his career as a striker. Eadie probably would of gone on to be a better player then Huckerby.[/quote]

Yeah, I can see that - a lack of options may have seen Eadie get a few games on the left for England.

But give me a choice of Huckerby or Eadie at any point in their careers and Huckerby wins everytime. He was simply more dangerous, more in his locker.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]''''He wouldn''t. Not with Rooney around.

Ashton would have been one of the better strikers available to England and I''m sure he''d have been part of squads but Rooney would still have been the main man.''''

Rooney is to England and Man U what Snoddy was for us, ok ,scores a few goals but is too demanding of the ball, even when he''s not in a great position, he has also become an arch whinger just like snoddy and for some reason is ''undroppable''. Formations are changed ,just to accommodate him.

Dean Ashton would have become one of the best Centre Forwards England ever had, his all round game was excellent. Its such a shame that we didnt get to see him fulfill his potential.[/quote]

Ashton May have become one of the best strikers England have ever had, or he might not have done.

Wayne Rooney, however you choose to dress it up (or down), has 41 goals for England. More than Owen, more than Shearer but not as many as - I think, can''t be bothered to check - Charlton, Lineker and Greaves.

I reckon that entitles him to be classed as one of the best we''ve ever had in his position, even if the team has underachieved in the period he has played.

Getting sidetracked now though; Eadie should have been capped and that Huckerby was never picked during the England "left sided problem years" is a travesty.

Dion Dublin did alright after we let him go too, not sure that really counts but...

Mills was unlucky at Norwich. He played out of position at left back as a youngster for the majority of his time here and Walker seemed to have made his mind up about him as a result. He also got some stick off the fans I seem to recall. Probably, some of the main reasons why he now seems to militantly dislike Norwich.

Shouldn''t have forgotten about Mills, played at a WC which is decent for a lad from Sprowston High.

He took a bit of stick but was also a bit of a Billy Big Bs around the city which didn''t help his cause. Especially one particular night in Ritzy''s...

His Dad worked with youngsters for FITC a few years ago, dunno if he still does. Nice fella and brilliant with the littluns.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]I''d disagree with what you said about Chris Woods. Marvelous goalkeeper, and with 43 caps for England it must make him the most capped England international to have ever played for us after Martin Peters. It is also likely that had he not been competing with Peter Shilton for most of that time he would have won many more caps.

Other than Fox, Sutton, Bellamy and Linighan there are also players like Andy Townsend, Mike Phelan, Efan Ekoku, Dave Watson, Rob Green,  Rob Ullathorne, Tim Sherwood, Spencer Prior, Matt Jackson, Darren Eadie, John Fashanu, Ade Akinbiyi, Dickson Ethuhu. OK not all of them are world beaters, and some are better than others. But all made very decent careers for themselves after leaving Norwich, many going on to play for clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd where they won trophies and/or competed in World Cups.

Has every player we''ve ever sold gone on to bigger and better things? Definitely not, but many have and like Paul said I wouldn''t write off Snoddy and Fer as failures just yet. One has just had a season ending injury and the other has played just 3 games for his new team.

[/quote]

Matt Jackson.. a blast from the past! I seem to remember him spending all of his time arguing withy Craig Fleming and Demoralising Darren Kenton... had a massive ego problem and the cheer from the baclay as he was subbed in his final appearence after arguing with Malky and Greeno really deflated him I think...

bloke was a tit!

[quote user="Northern Irish Canary"]Surprised at that Jas, wasn''t aware he was like that at all. Met him a couple of times in the players'' lounge and he was perfectly pleasant, although had shocking dress sense. Smashing player mind![/quote]

met him a few years ago.. I wasn''t rude to him.. he wasn''t very willing to speak... gave us short shrift and swore at my mate.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="pete"] Dean Ashton who would have been Englands best striker if Wright Phillips hadn''t ended his career.  [/quote]

Ashton would have been one of the better strikers available to England and I''m sure he''d have been part of squads but Rooney would still have been the main man.

[/quote]Balls to that. How many games has Darren Bent managed to play for England? Rooney plays an entirely different game, he likes to play alongside a target man, and Ashton was that. He was more of a next generation Shearer/Sheringham combo. It would have likely to have been him and Rooney up front, not either or.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Balls to that. How many games has Darren Bent managed to play for England? Rooney plays an entirely different game, he likes to play alongside a target man, and Ashton was that. He was more of a next generation Shearer/Sheringham combo. It would have likely to have been him and Rooney up front, not either or.
[/quote]

Ashton was the best striker we ever had... never got to prove it here long term or over the course of his career... he''d have been one of the best of this generation.

Like this thread.......I''m one of those who genuinely believes that Dean Ashton could well have ended up being one the best strikers ever to play for England, and the way he was progressing he could have ended up as good as Rooney (well achieving as much as him, I''m not a huge fan of Rooney to be honest), although agree he was a different type of player.

As for Eadie, I agree too, that he would have ended up being an England regular...I remember just how sensational he could be and he was getting better.

Hucks.......a bit like Kevin Keelan.....by that I mean, sometimes its hard to believe that a player didnt play for his country and Huckerby should have been a regular!

Andy Townsend, is a good shout...but, why does it appear that he doesnt seem to want it mentioned he played for us?? Usually says on his captions... Andy Townsend ex Aston Villa & Chelsea........