Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

don't under estimate the value of

John Ruddy.. again last night he kept us in the game for 45 minutes, Cardiff a vital save at 0-2 to help turn the game around and in most games this season He''s made a telling contribution.

It''s great to have the goal scorers knocking them in at the other end for us but the real hero for us this season will be BIG JOHN.

Tbh I''m not that sure he made any saves that were that ''outstanding'' - most were pretty-much regulation stops that you''d expect him to make - but it is good to see him returning to his best form.

Fantastic result,, good OP just giving his honest opinion ,,,

So why the negativity ??

On the basis of what we have seen so far , come Jan. We will be there abouts , and even if a bid came in ,, the likely hood of the board letting Ruddy go before the summer is almost negligible given that the main aim of this season is to be promoted .

I only heard commentary so I can''t judge fully but it sounded like he made 3 or 4 massive saves for us. It''d be great to be able to see them so I can judge myself.

i agree, in this league (well all leagues i guess) it takes a lot of pressure off the team knowing we have a very good keeper. Imagine going 1-0 or 2-9 down in the first half with just an average keeper, admittidly came back against cardiff but that wouldnt happen every time.

Im sure the reserve keepers can do a decent job but Ruddy gotta be in the top 3 players to keep for the season.

Very similar to 85/86 season when we won the League at a canter. In our 10 consecutive win run Chris Woods made at least one world class save in most of the games often at a crucial stage. Big Johns sheer presence in the goal gives us an edge over a lot of teams

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Tbh I''m not that sure he made any saves that were that ''outstanding'' - most were pretty-much regulation stops that you''d expect him to make - but it is good to see him returning to his best form.[/quote]

Branston this is exactly why I used the word vital - it more about his concentration levels and positioning.When keepers make flying saves this is normally because they are caught out of position.

To not be physically involved in the game and be able to produce a save it in valuable.

You might remember the great Peter Shilton getting caught cold for England v Poland as an example?