Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

That Penalty

Just looked at the penalty Brentford are shouting about, now I maybe looking through tinted glasses but it looks to me as if Hooiveld got the ball first.See it here,  at about 2 mins big shout by the Brentford commentators.

One of those ones that could go either way, the fact that the ball goes so far away from the attacker makes me think that Hooiveld probably did get a touch.

Hard to tell at that speed, I guess you could argue there player was never in ''control'' of the ball. From a neutral perspective it should have been a Pen. We''d be livid if we hadn''t been given that!

Very lucky, but I don''t think Hooiveld intended to foul the player. Again, without slowing it down impossible to tell. Seen them given but the Ref obviously had some doubt!

Last year in the Prem it would have been given eleven times out if ten with the ubiquitous Sky pundit backing up the decision ad nauseum

Back in the Chump as mentioned previously, it could have gone either way but with a very slight pair if green and yellow tinted specs I''d say the ref called it right.

Just.

Awful referee otherwise, how the hell he booked Turner after umpteen awful tackles by Brentford remains a complete mystery.

Tough one to call, I think if the shoe was on the other foot, we would be a bit disappointed that we didn''t get it. But I truly cannot see clearly what happens there, it does look like the player just runs in to Hooiveld, but all a bit clumsy to work out who was at fault.

all clubs get these and we have suffered and gained as much as anyone else.

Had their players did their jobs they would have gone in ahead and we would not have scored the opener - far more clear cut and costly mistakes than one refs call.   Jog on. 

It was right in front of me and at the time I thought it was probably 50-50 at best, which for me isn''t enough for a penalty. Probably seen them given (esp against us) but it would have been harsh. What compounded it for them was that we pretty-much went straight up the other end and scored :-)

Just proves how difficult it is to ref.To me it looks obvious that the Brentford player ran into Hooiveld.

Interesting how our views differ! My first instinct was pen but the ref obviously saw it as a coming together

Would have been harsh if given. Nowhere near as clear cut as their Manager made out and as for the five foot in the air comment, thats a joke!

I could not see well from the away stand but I both talked to and overhead Brentford fans after the game and their view was "not clear cut" or "seen them given sometimes" or "50:50 decision" for what it is worth.

We would have been angry not to get a similar decision at the other end, to be fair.

In the form Ruddy was in last night, I would have backed him to save a penalty anyway

Thanks for posting!

First time I played it thought it was a pen, then the second time changed my mind.....but, given more times than not.

With the few bits of the game I have seen, looks like BJ had another excellent game.