Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Poor old Grant Holt

I loved Grant Holt when he was with us, so started following him on Twitter. Still follow him despite leaving, read today that he''s currently training with Wigans under 18 squad. Surely he''s better than that? I know he''s probably not as good as he once was but surely he could still do a job for a lower Championship team, or league 1/2 team. Such a shame how some players careers suddenly go down the toilet.

I wonder if there is a similar lactic thread titled "Poor old Seb Bassong" for training with our development squad.

A clash of the heavyweights if they were to face each other in the "reserve league"!

[quote user="Stanton Canary"]I loved Grant Holt when he was with us, so started following him on Twitter. Still follow him despite leaving, read today that he''s currently training with Wigans under 18 squad. Surely he''s better than that? I know he''s probably not as good as he once was but surely he could still do a job for a lower Championship team, or league 1/2 team. Such a shame how some players careers suddenly go down the toilet.[/quote]

Less of the "Poor old" [:D]  He will have a good contract at Wigan and is reaching the end of his playing career anyway.  He''ll be evaluating his future and has an interest in coaching, so as a positive person he will be looking on it as an opportunity for him to look forward to the next stage of his career, which will undoubtedly be working with and coaching youngsters in the first instance.  

He''ll probably struggle for a lower champ or lg 1 move as the wages will be to high. Teams usually sling a player with the kids in an effort to make them leave, at a guess Wigan can''t afford or don''t want to pay up his wages to give him a free transfer.

I struggle to feel sorry for professional footballers in these sort of positions, even the legend Grant Holt....you make your choices, and sometimes they work out, sometimes they don''t. That said, it is a shame to see him not in a first team causing big problems for the opponents back four....when he was with us I used to say it was like having two players when he was in the team.....and will never ever forget his huge contribution!!!

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]So does his exit now go down as a Hughton master stroke?[/quote][:D]

Is a shame if only when you compare where Holt and Rickie Lambert are now. Less than a year between them and, while trying not to be bias, always felt Holt to be the better player.

Both great finishers but Holt really had that X factor and really got into oppositions. Hated by all that played against him and I loved that.

Though Lamberts probably not too happy at his Liverpool career so far. Villa game was crying out for something different and Rodgers did a ''hughton'' and brought him on far too late

It''s so often the case that player or manager suit one club where their form and performances eclipse everything else they do in their career.

Holt was great for Norwich and Norwich was great for him.

I always felt he let himself down with the training and fitness side of his game and I suspect he didn''t much go into nutrition either. He kept fit by playing and compensated for carrying too much weight by sheer effort and determination.

On that basis, being used as a squad player by Hughton was always going to be a problem and I''m sure he would have kept us up last season if he was playing and especially leading.

I agree with the op. It is a waste. He always did his best for his family first but his wife couldn''t live in Norfolk and that is a shame. I bet she liked the income though.

Aside of this it''s interesting to see who has derided him on this thread.

Ha Ha Brilliant paella. You tell him to his face.

Rudolph got it bang on - Holty is a big family man and his wife refused to settle here. Was one of the greatest all round footballers I''ve seen playing for the yellas. See we are getting ''those from another message board'' creeping back on here.

Cameron Jerome could be our next Grant Holt. He has all the attributes and with early goals and the crowd behind him he could very well be the man to fill Holty''s boots.

[quote user="BarclayUpperCut"]I''d love to see Holty back at FCR in some role but can''t see it happening.

Hoping he gets his dream move to Carlisle before the end of his career[/quote]Carlisle are at present looking for a manager.   Player managers aren''t in fashion atm, but it is a role he could do imo - and Carlisle are in desperate need of inspiration.   I don''t really follow them but I know they are really struggling - GH could be just what they need.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Ha Ha Brilliant paella. You tell him to his face.

Rudolph got it bang on - Holty is a big family man and his wife refused to settle here. Was one of the greatest all round footballers I''ve seen playing for the yellas. See we are getting ''those from another message board'' creeping back on here.[/quote]If you''re on about me then I''m fairly sure I never mentioned leaving.I''m also fairly sure its not breaking any laws by using two different websites, unless you know better?[:)]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]They can''t spout their bile on the other place, Bury; so they come on here to do it. How ironic.[/quote]Feel free to quantify this.

I think you mean ''qualify.''

Sorry, you don''t moderate on here.

Are you claiming to have the same persona on both sites? I don''t read the other one but understand everyone is ''nice.''

BTW are you ''Paul''s Ferry'' too? You seem to like each other somewhat.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I think you mean ''qualify.''

Sorry, you don''t moderate on here.

Are you claiming to have the same persona on both sites? I don''t read the other one but understand everyone is ''nice.''

BTW are you ''Paul''s Ferry'' too? You seem to like each other somewhat.[/quote]No, I mean quantify your opinion.Where is this bile you are waffling on about exactly?Yes, the other site is properly moderated, so there are no idiots to deal with, it makes a refreshing change from here.

The other site seems to have had any potential signs of life moderated out of it. So much so that its members troll their way back here to engage in some real debate.

It''s bore bore boring.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]The other site seems to have had any potential signs of life moderated out of it. So much so that its members troll their way back here to engage in some real debate.

It''s bore bore boring.[/quote]

No it isn''t. It is just different.   Morty behaves himself on there as does everyone - that is how it is - and you get talk about football which is what most people want.   If you want to be a character, an ego, a trouble maker, an abuser, angry, unpleasant, you can stay on here to play with other posters, its all part of life''s rich pattern.  This place has a lot of good on it - and a lot of bad stuff too - but when you get fed up with the worse side of this board,  its good to have an alternative place to go and talk just about football and know there will be no-one to spoil it.

Boring?  The only thing it is boring to is your ego.

I think Holt hit his peak in 3 seasons with us and that was that.. his career was on the decline after the first premiership season and it was the right decision to move him on when we did...

if he''d been here now he''d barely make the bench.

I like holty he''s top bananas, think he will end up leaving Wigan in January hopefully to lowie! But if he retires soon I can see him going into coaching

Lame Dips, it''s your ego that needs the massage, and on the watered down vanilla site you can strut around like a fool and not be called out.

I get a kick out of some of the reactions and responses to them. Your wannabe friend morr is so boring with it he was here trolling for reaction.