Sign in to follow this  
STAN

Jonas Gutierrez - Testicular Cancer

Just seen Jonas has been diagnosed with testicular cancer.

I know he was far from a favourite during his brief spell with us but further proof it could happen to anyone of any age/fitness.

All the best to Jonas and remember to check your balls lads!

Oh wow, that is bad news. Hopefully he has been diagnosed early.Best wishes Jonas, I hope it goes well for you.[Y]

Although he was unproductive in his few appearances for us and made a t* at of himself with his little twitter dig at Adams I wouldn''t wish this on him!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-winger-jonas-gutierrez-reveals-4272042

All the best to Gutierrez. Hope he recovers well.

A mirror.co.uk article says he has had the problem for about a year. Isn''t there a medical which detects health problems like that when club''s sign players? Even if it is only a loan move like when Norwich loaned him last season.

Good luck Gutierrez!

Poor guy. Can only hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Is it my imagination, or is testicular cancer more prevalent amongst sportsmen? It''s only the 16th most common cancer in men, but it seems to be the most common form when contracted during a playing career. I can only think of Hartson who had a different form of the disease. Seems very odd.

Good luck to Gutierrez anyway.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Poor guy. Can only hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Is it my imagination, or is testicular cancer more prevalent amongst sportsmen? It''s only the 16th most common cancer in men, but it seems to be the most common form when contracted during a playing career. I can only think of Hartson who had a different form of the disease. Seems very odd.

Good luck to Gutierrez anyway.[/quote]It is more prevalent in men under 40, so maybe thats why.

Neil Harris of Millwall was a famous casethankfully it was diagnosed earlier and he survived - went on to play for another 12 yearscancer is not the death sentence it was but is still a dark shadow both literally (at times) and metaphorically over someone''s lifecoincidentally the player he came of for as a sub at Cardiff in his first game there, was ............................... Cameron Jeromeotherwise best wishes to him

My physically fit brother came through it aged 39 - he opted to decline chemo and stuck with radiotherapy. Energy-wise it took an awful lot out of him. I can''t imagine anyone being able to play football at any standard for months following treatment.

[quote user="he"]

A mirror.co.uk article says he has had the problem for about a year. Isn''t there a medical which detects health problems like that when club''s sign players?[/quote]Are you for real???Club medicals revovle around checking sporting related concerns - knees, ankles, hips etc, they are NOT performing in-depth scans on every single facet of a players health, and they certainly aren''t going to be doing a biopsy of a players ballcocks to check if he''s got an undiagnosed case of testicular cancer ffs!

It does look as though it was well know by that point as he had surgery to remove one of his lads in October 2013.I would have thought that something as major as that would be picked up in a medical.Regardless of that, I wish him well and all the best.