Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Hoolahan doubt for Saturday

We saw him limping in the Brentford game, I thought Neil was gonna take him off then. We might give Vadis his first start on saturday then. O''Neill looked up for it too when he came on on tuesday...good thing we''ve got options!

The bonus of having arguably the most talented squad in depth in this league starts to kick in then, and it will be more and more of an advantage as this long slog of a Championship season drags on through the tough winter months.If not Voo, then JH is ready too? 

Wes has certainly done well and it is such a great position to be in to have more than one quality replacement in the squad.....we will need that squad no doubt about that!

I know it was only for a few minutes v Brentford but VOO has already got me excited. They guy looks like an absolute machine, he kept up with Jerome with ease in the break for the 3rd goal. I''m already thinking Viera, Makalele, Yaya Toure....  ok, getting carried away there.

This will also be a real test of Adams'' and staff''s managerial and coaching talents because the team is going to have to play a different way without Wes. We have always struggled to create when he hasn''t been in the team. I don''t see VOO as a direct replacement for Wes - we have to play differently. But of course we don''t know exactly what he has to offer so let''s just see. Exciting!

[quote user="a1canary"]

I know it was only for a few minutes v Brentford but VOO has already got me excited. They guy looks like an absolute machine, he kept up with Jerome with ease in the break for the 3rd goal. I''m already thinking Viera, Makalele, Yaya Toure....  ok, getting carried away there.

This will also be a real test of Adams'' and staff''s managerial and coaching talents because the team is going to have to play a different way without Wes. We have always struggled to create when he hasn''t been in the team. I don''t see VOO as a direct replacement for Wes - we have to play differently. But of course we don''t know exactly what he has to offer so let''s just see. Exciting!

[/quote]But equally I don''t think any Norwich City manager has solved the conundrum of how to fit in two strikers AND Hoolahan. By all accounts it wasn''t successful in the first half at Brentford, and hasn''t worked well in the past. If Hoolahan is out, Adams might secretly be not unhappy at having to use another formation/line-up, at least for one game.

I''ve got to take issue with that Purps.

Are you forgetting the Holy Trinity? You are forgetting the Holy Trinity. And rather more recently, Cardiff 0 Norwich 4 (in the second half :)

I take the point that the diamond can leave you pretty open but look what happened in the first half v Cardiff with Wes and one up top.

I agree that Adams won''t mind too much as it gives him his first chance to really shuffle his pack and see what else he/we can do - as a squad that is.

[quote user="a1canary"]

I know it was only for a few minutes v Brentford but VOO has already got me excited. They guy looks like an absolute machine, he kept up with Jerome with ease in the break for the 3rd goal.

I''m already thinking Viera, Makalele, Yaya Toure....  ok, getting carried away there.

[/quote]

Well I look forward to seeing him then because really there''s quite a lot of difference in the playing styles of Vieira, Makelele and Yaya. Especially when you consider Makelele offered very little going forward whereas someone like Yaya is a major threat from an attacking POV.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Are you forgetting the Holy Trinity? You are forgetting the Holy Trinity. And rather more recently, Cardiff 0 Norwich 4 (in the second half :)

I take the point that the diamond can leave you pretty open but look what happened in the first half v Cardiff with Wes and one up top.

I agree that Adams won''t mind too much as it gives him his first chance to really shuffle his pack and see what else he/we can do - as a squad that is.

[/quote]A1, I think Hoolahan behind two strikers can work (especially down in the Championship) if we have momentum in a game, which is what happened at Cardiff (although bear in mind Ruddy made a crucial save at 3-0!). We pose such an attacking threat nowadays we can turn games round. But it can also mean us being overrun. Looking at a Birmingham message-board the feeling is they will flood midfield and play one up front. What might well work for us at home against Birmingham on Saturday  might not work away at Derby or Forest.

Zzzz, i thought some pendent would probably pick up on that! Viera and Toure were very much in the same mould, Makalele was a midfield destroyer in th same vein as those Viera and Toure and was probably better than both of them with that side of the game, but yes he didn''t get forward as much as the other two, that wasn''t how he was used. Equally Toure has been used more deep lying by Man City in games and pushed forward when needed because he had that in his game.

We don''t knwo what VOO is going to be like but if he has any of the attributes of any of those players i''ll be happy.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

A1, I think Hoolahan behind two strikers can work (especially down in the Championship) if we have momentum in a game, which is what happened at Cardiff (although bear in mind Ruddy made a crucial save at 3-0!). We pose such an attacking threat nowadays we can turn games round. But it can also mean us being overrun. Looking at a Birmingham message-board the feeling is they will flood midfield and play one up front. What might well work for us at home against Birmingham on Saturday  might not work away at Derby or Forest.
[/quote]

Agreed!  

[/quote]A1, I think Hoolahan behind two strikers can work (especially down in the Championship) if we have momentum in a game, which is what happened at Cardiff (although bear in mind Ruddy made a crucial save at 3-0!). We pose such an attacking threat nowadays we can turn games round. But it can also mean us being overrun. Looking at a Birmingham message-board the feeling is they will flood midfield and play one up front. What might well work for us at home against Birmingham on Saturday  might not work away at Derby or Forest.[/quote]2-0, even...

[/quote]A1, I think Hoolahan behind two strikers can work (especially down in the Championship) if we have momentum in a game, which is what happened at Cardiff (although bear in mind Ruddy made a crucial save at 3-0!). We pose such an attacking threat nowadays we can turn games round. But it can also mean us being overrun. Looking at a Birmingham message-board the feeling is they will flood midfield and play one up front. What might well work for us at home against Birmingham on Saturday  might not work away at Derby or Forest.[/quote]The Birmingham City reporter for the Birmingham Mail, having talked to the manager, is now suggesting that will be the plan:Lee Clark says Blues have to be at their ‘very best’ to defeat high-flying Norwich City. Second in the Championship, tomorrow’s opponents are in free-scoring mood at present. Although Blues are not being given much of a chance of leaving Carrow

Road with a positive result, Clark says there is belief in the dressing room.The manager might alter his side – perhaps reverting to a 4-2-3-1 – to ensure things are tough for their hosts. “In the overall picture of it there are lots of good performances and lots of good things happening,” said Clark. “But ultimately you’ve got to get results.“That’s what we’ve got to start changing and start turning draws to wins and losses to draws. We’ve got a game-plan for Saturday and we’ve got to execute it well to have any chance of getting a result."

Where one door closes, another opens, Hoolahan injured simply means Howson coming in. 30 mins for the reserves so far and 2 assists. Him and Hooper will really push our current starters! Hopefully both play versus Shrews along with (wishful thinking) Bassong and push for a place in the squad/ starting XI.