Sign in to follow this  
Bobert

Does anyone remember

the chant about "we hate Nottingham Forrest" about 30 years ago when the Barclay was all standing and can we start it up again?

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Vaguely.

.... We hate Liverpool too,

Cant remember after that[/quote]

(and ipswich)

We hate Manchester United but Norwich we love you.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Vaguely.

.... We hate Liverpool too,

Cant remember after that[/quote]

(and ipswich)

We hate Manchester United but Norwich we love you.

[/quote]

Spot on Nutty. My Dad used to sing it to me, I loved it.

it was to the tune of Land of Hope and Gloryand also had -"We will follow the CityOver land and seaWe will follow the CityOn to vic ick toryall to gether now........ "(repeat)

the last line being sung slowly with the word victory having an extra syllable ..as with In ger land

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]That was the first chant I learned, along with

Man United, Man United

You''re not fit to wipe my azz

You''re not fi-i-it to wipe my azz[/quote]or "Norwich CityNorwich CityWe''ll support you ever moreWe''ll support you ever more"to the tune of Bread of Heaven

remember the old one in the 71/72 title season ?to the tune of ta ra ra boom de aa

"we''re going up the leaguewe''re going up the leaguewe''re going up, up, up, up, up the leagueweeeeeeeeeee - eeeeeeeeeee''re going up the league"the last line was well stretched out

sadly all that fun has gone and we are left with a massively farked up OTBC and endless versions of Sloop J Bboring dirges

Sorry, can''t seem to reply without a quote, but...

Another one I remember from that era was:

"In your (insert opposition name) slums

You look in a dustbin for something to eat

You find a dead cat and you think it''s a treat

In your 1p5wich (dramatic licence) slums"

That was a good un.

"And then the quote doesn''t appear. Sigh.

"

just cut and pasteeasy, and very easy to read

I can remember "top of the pops" from the 40''s (Sugarbush, Hold me, Slow boat to China, Mule train, etc) but I was not in Norwich in those days. Does anyone remember the chants of that time and how they went? A virtually all standing ground must have shown some life.

Six foot two

Eyes of blue

Duncan Forbes

Is after you

Nr Nr narrr Nr

Na Na narrr Nr

Na nrrrrr

&

We got Kenny Kenny Kenny Foggo

On the wing on the wing

We got Kennny

Kennnny

Kennnny Foggo

Kennnny Foggo on the wing!!!!!!

Don''t make em like that any more!!!

I can remember "top of the pops" from the 40''s (Sugarbush, Hold me, Slow boat to China, Mule train, etc) but I was not in Norwich in those days. Does anyone remember the chants of that time and how they went? A virtually all standing ground must have shown some life.

The strange thing is ,,, it was only ever the Barclay that made much noise as I remember ,,, and that was back in the late 60''s onwards.

Having said that ... My mum used to sit in the old city stand . In those days there were cushions on some of the seats , and it was more than one occasion when they would be hurled onto the pitch to show a dissatisfaction with a referee decision , or the way a match was going . From the City Stand !!

Funny to think back about that , if you did it now , banned for life more likely !

you had to hire the cushionsand any ''wrong''  decision (it was not a call as the ref blew a whistle and didn''t shout anything out)brought out the cry from the Barclay of " bring on the cushions"when they did come on they did so spasmodically over a few minutes rather than one huge rushI believe it was seen as an accepted part of the game that the ''posh'' folk could show their disapproval

as to chanting in the 60''s it was mostly singing, which just carried on from the pubI do remember being in the River end in the 70''s, sunny day and some Huddersfield fans were chanting"Top of the leagueTop of the leagueHuddersfieldHuddersfield"

I am the music man

I come from down your way

What can you play?

I can play the piano, piano, piano, pia, pia, piano, pia, piano,

I am the music man

What can you play?

I can play the saxophone, saxophone, saxophone, saxa, saxa, saxophone, saxa, saxophone.

[quote user="City1st"]you had to hire the cushionsand any ''wrong''  decision (it was not a call as the ref blew a whistle and didn''t shout anything out)brought out the cry from the Barclay of " bring on the cushions"when they did come on they did so spasmodically over a few minutes rather than one huge rushI believe it was seen as an accepted part of the game that the ''posh'' folk could show their disapproval

as to chanting in the 60''s it was mostly singing, which just carried on from the pubI do remember being in the River end in the 70''s, sunny day and some Huddersfield fans were chanting"Top of the leagueTop of the leagueHuddersfieldHuddersfield"

[/quote]

I remember the tune for that but can''t remember what it was called or who it was by!!!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I am the music man

What can you play?

I am the music man

What can you play?

I can play the saxophone, saxophone, saxophone, saxa, saxa, saxophone, saxa, saxophone.

[/quote]

that was greatusually started when play was a bit slowgoing through the noises of all the instruments at a fast pace - brilliant

"hal ooo wetter ""oooooooooooooooooooh .............................. hal ooo wetter "

great days to be at Carrow Road

oh yes, the Barclay growling through ''Wanderin'' star''................if you come into the Barclay stand we''ll all stuck in the boot !"

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

I am the music man

What can you play?

I am the music man

What can you play?

[/quote]

that was greatusually started when play was a bit slowgoing through the noises of all the instruments at a fast pace - brilliant

"hal ooo wetter ""oooooooooooooooooooh .............................. hal ooo wetter "

great days to be at Carrow Road

oh yes, the Barclay growling through ''Wanderin'' star''................if you come into the Barclay stand we''ll all stuck in the boot !"

[/quote]

Haha - the bit from Music Man I can remember is......

I can play the organ,  w**k , w**k, w**k, w**k, w**k, w**k

Back when there used to be trouble there was a song something like

Kick em in the head

kick em in the head

kick em in the head with an Airwear boot oh yeah oh yeah

Shoot em in the head

shoot em in the head

shoot em in the head with a chieftain tank oh yeah oh year

Can''t remember the rest !

When I first started going in the late sixties as a child, the only thing I can remember being chanted apart from OTBC was  "In the net, In the net" at corners and free kicks.   It seemed we were known for not chanting anything much before 1972 when we got to the top flight. Is that true?    Were these songs/chants sung in the fifties and sixties, or was the seventies the start of it?