Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

cast your vote

It would be hilarious if England was asked to vote on whether Scotland should stay or go.

It won''t happen cos its probably not pc, but what would you say ?

Should they stay or should they go?

Go

The reason in part why we have a United Kingdom is due to the fact that the people of Scotland embarked on a high risk investment strategy which destroyed them financially, the Darien scheme (1690''s).

I have a feeling that history will repeat itself over the next few decades if they vote Yes. Alex Salmon will become a figure of hate and we will bail them out again.

We are stronger together, i vote No. If they vote Yes it will be a tumultuous few years i fear that will destroy a lot of goodwill that exists between us and the Nationalists dream will turn into a nightmare.

Hope i''m wrong

H

being a little bit Scottish myself I have enjoyed watching the debates and the lead up.

I''m not sure how I would vote myself, I think the majoirity in Scotland will vote yes...

We are about to find out how the Scottish will vote, my mischevious mind was wondering how the English would vote if given the chance.

Don''t see any media channels asking English people whether they would like to vote the Scots out or in.

If I were a Sweaty? Yes!  Get away from English Toryism and EDLism asap

But I think they will say no, it''s a big leap from watching Braveheart and wearing skirts to actually breaking this thing up.

well voting yes will cost a lot of jobs

57000 Uk government jobs based in Scotland will be relocated for starters

all the military based closed

all military shipbuilding contracts moved south

3 major financial institutions moving south

RBS closing all of its Scotland offices and branches if they leave the uk

and that''s just he tip of the iceberg

add to that the proportional share of the national debt (which Alex has said they will not pay or take on )and experts say they will not be able to default on without serve worldwide repercusions

ohh and the EU already voting in principle to block any membership as they would be a burden this being led by Germany and france

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

If I were a Sweaty? Yes!  Get away from English Toryism and EDLism asap

But I think they will say no, it''s a big leap from watching Braveheart and wearing skirts to actually breaking this thing up.

[/quote]Labour, for narrow electoral advantage, successfully used the code word Tory when everyone in Scotland knew they meant English. Pressing the nationalist button has let the genie out of the bottle and ironically it''s Feeked Labour in the process.A great shame, you can''t stitch something together for 300 years and then rip it apart without ending up with an unholy mess.

[quote user="Paul101"]well voting yes will cost a lot of jobs 57000 Uk government jobs based in Scotland will be relocated for starters all the military based closed all military shipbuilding contracts moved south 3 major financial institutions moving south RBS closing all of its Scotland offices and branches if they leave the uk and that''s just he tip of the iceberg add to that the proportional share of the national debt (which Alex has said they will not pay or take on )and experts say they will not be able to default on without serve worldwide repercusions ohh and the EU already voting in principle to block any membership as they would be a burden this being led by Germany and france[/quote]

RBS would be moving their registered offices from Scotland to London so that they could remain part of the current banking system, they never said anything about leaving the Scotland offices or closing any branches. It''s this kind of miss-information that''s clouded the whole debate and one of the reason why I believe that the third option of ''Don''t Know'' should have been on the ballot paper.

The latest cock up from Alex Salmon is that he''s said he would allow immigration at a greater quantity ! The governments reply to this is that it would be used as a ''backdoor'' to the U.K. So boarders would have to be more secure.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]The latest cock up from Alex Salmon is that he''s said he would allow immigration at a greater quantity ! The governments reply to this is that it would be used as a ''backdoor'' to the U.K. So boarders would have to be more secure. [/quote]Repairs to Hadrians Wall seem a good idea then?[:D]

[quote user="swindoncanary"]The latest cock up from Alex Salmon is that he''s said he would allow immigration at a greater quantity ! The governments reply to this is that it would be used as a ''backdoor'' to the U.K. So boarders would have to be more secure.
[/quote]

In the event of a yes vote months of negotiations will need to take place, the Common Travel Area would be part of that negotiation.

The border could easily be the same as what we currently have between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland or we could end up with Check Points, the truth is neither side of the debate knows the outcome because they haven''t had to negotiate yet.

Well the money men have voted with their cash.Yes now 5-1 againstFTSE up half a percent on the dayThe £ up nearly a cent.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="swindoncanary"]The latest cock up from Alex Salmon is that he''s said he would allow immigration at a greater quantity ! [/quote]Not a cock-up. They''ll need to let the English in to sort out the mess.....[;)][/quote]It won''t be necessary, I predict a NO vote.[Y]

Ridiculous situation where almost half of the population of Scotland will be left with something they dont want, who knows where this will lead to after the result is announced. Quite clearly we are better off together but if they go their own way the rest of us will be just fine, i''m not so sure they will be though.

So many seem to think that we will pay their pensions under independence. There is no fund to be split so they will be paid by current Scottish taxpayers, and as Scotland will not have the benefit of the UK paying their pensioners they will probably have to reduce pensions. The Scots have nae clue !!!  My bet also is that Scots will need a work permit to work in the UK after independence. Independence is purely an emotional decision, and we all know that emotional decisions can be costly. I read today that many regular holidaymakers to Scotland are already cancelling proposed holidays due to fear of Scottish aggression. It will cost their tourist trade regardless of the outcome, as slow learners realise that the majority of Scots resent the English to a huge extent, even though we saved them after the Darien crisis. ,, and we still don''t know which currency they will be using.  

[quote user="paul moy"]So many seem to think that we will pay their pensions under independence. There is no fund to be split so they will be paid by current Scottish taxpayers, and as Scotland will not have the benefit of the UK paying their pensioners they will probably have to reduce pensions. The Scots have nae clue !!!  My bet also is that Scots will need a work permit to work in the UK after independence. Independence is purely an emotional decision, and we all know that emotional decisions can be costly. I read today that many regular holidaymakers to Scotland are already cancelling proposed holidays due to fear of Scottish aggression. It will cost their tourist trade regardless of the outcome, as slow learners realise that the majority of Scots resent the English to a huge extent, even though we saved them after the Darien crisis. ,, and we still don''t know which currency they will be using.   [/quote]

You obviously don''t spend any time in Scotland, if you did you wouldn''t regurgitate this London centric newspaper propganda.

unfortunately it is an emotional thing, and no amount of reasoned argument is going to hold sway for somefor many the English and the Tories in particular are a convenient hate figure, and any attempts to point out the dangers are seen as more evidence of the wicked english lying to them and cheating them out of their oil etc - which is ironic when you consider what Salmon and his side kick have been spouting outI expect a fair few of Scotlands underclass will relish this opportunity to stick one to the English, knowing that for many of them things can''t get really much worse so whatever happs afterwards they''ve had a chance to hit backMy interest is in having a Scots father and a clan full of cousins and their offspring, and recent conversations have led me to the above conclusionsI shouldn''t mind a pound (sterling) for every time I have heard the words "och, you''re just saying that" with my reply being .... "err, no it''s the banks, supermarkets, army, economists, NHS  .... etc, etc saying that "The belief is that they have the oil and we have been ''stealing'' it for years, and it will keep them going for decades - though again the same denial is put up when asked if the can guarantee that the price will remain as it is now (in relative terms) and will we still be using oil as a major source of energy in decades time ?We shall have to wait to see

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="swindoncanary"]The latest cock up from Alex Salmon is that he''s said he would allow immigration at a greater quantity ! [/quote]Not a cock-up. They''ll need to let the English in to sort out the mess.....[;)][/quote]It won''t be necessary, I predict a NO vote.[Y][/quote]Quite agree Ricardo. I think it''ll be quite a comfortable '' No '' as most of the '' Don''t Knows '' will stick with what they''ve got.Personally I couldn''t care less whether they go or not but I think they''ll be making a mistake if they do. What is quite amusing is that the Tories say keep the Union, publicly at least. With only the one MP in Scotland they''d be pretty much a shoo-in at the next General Election and probably for years afterwards.Still I suppose if you''re the Conservative and Unionist Party what can you do ? [:D]

The majority of them can''t be so stupid as to vote yes, if they are then they probably get what they deserve and it isn''t going to be the motherhood and apple pie, social justice, disney world panacea that is being peddled.

I say they there will be a majority who have enough common sence to vote no.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="swindoncanary"]The latest cock up from Alex Salmon is that he''s said he would allow immigration at a greater quantity ! [/quote]Not a cock-up. They''ll need to let the English in to sort out the mess.....[;)][/quote]It won''t be necessary, I predict a NO vote.[Y][/quote]Quite agree Ricardo. I think it''ll be quite a comfortable '' No '' as most of the '' Don''t Knows '' will stick with what they''ve got.Personally I couldn''t care less whether they go or not but I think they''ll be making a mistake if they do. What is quite amusing is that the Tories say keep the Union, publicly at least. With only the one MP in Scotland they''d be pretty much a shoo-in at the next General Election and probably for years afterwards.Still I suppose if you''re the Conservative and Unionist Party what can you do ? [:D][/quote]If I''m wrong then it will be fun to watch the faces when Salmond fails to deliver the free Unicorns.

A country that has more public service workers than private simply means no profit and no investment.

England has been supporting (bailing them out) for a long time

The SNP are a dangerous breed. If Scotland vote Yes it will be big trouble for them and the RUK will still bail them out.

I love Scotland and over the years have known many friends there but the last few weeks have made me sad and totally shocked at the behaviour within Glasgow and Edinburgh part of a supposedly civilised society.

To mend this mess we need them to give a pretty large No vote today and get Salmond out of my face. If this is not the result than the next best thing is a big Yes vote!!!

Either of these scenarios will be better than a close run thing I believe. Sadly the worst part of this mess is that the whole Referendum thing has been poorly conceived, is farcical and the debate deserves better.

"Personally I couldn''t care less whether they go or not but I think

they''ll be making a mistake if they do. What is quite amusing is that

the Tories say keep the Union, publicly at least. With only the one MP

in Scotland they''d be pretty much a shoo-in at the next General Election

and probably for years afterwards.Still I suppose if you''re the Conservative and Unionist Party what can you do ?"
err, noas Scotland will not officially be independant until 2016 Labour could be elected with Scottish MP''S and after they have left still remain in government because of Cameron''s rigging of the election with the fixed term parliament - meaning Labour could sit tight until 2020not the brightest of pieces of legislation and one that could comeback to bite them on the ar seplease note the word ''could'' being usedif the vote is a yes expect, a right old mess with enormous amounts of ''back stairs'' trading etc

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="paul moy"]So many seem to think that we will pay their pensions under independence. There is no fund to be split so they will be paid by current Scottish taxpayers, and as Scotland will not have the benefit of the UK paying their pensioners they will probably have to reduce pensions. The Scots have nae clue !!!  My bet also is that Scots will need a work permit to work in the UK after independence. Independence is purely an emotional decision, and we all know that emotional decisions can be costly. I read today that many regular holidaymakers to Scotland are already cancelling proposed holidays due to fear of Scottish aggression. It will cost their tourist trade regardless of the outcome, as slow learners realise that the majority of Scots resent the English to a huge extent, even though we saved them after the Darien crisis. ,, and we still don''t know which currency they will be using.   [/quote]

You obviously don''t spend any time in Scotland, if you did you wouldn''t regurgitate this London centric newspaper propganda.

[/quote]I followed Scotland to the 1992 World Cup where I got slapped across the face by a Scots fan in an Italian bar for my audacity....I was also told that they would never follow England the way that I would follow a fellow British nation. I went to the Costa Rica and Brazil games,,, both 1-0 defeats, with Scots. The Scots are not fond of the English and never will be, so best to separate. Remember the Wembley goalposts !!  The dumping of the Barnett formula will save us a fortune !!

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="paul moy"]So many seem to think that we will pay their pensions under independence. There is no fund to be split so they will be paid by current Scottish taxpayers, and as Scotland will not have the benefit of the UK paying their pensioners they will probably have to reduce pensions. The Scots have nae clue !!!  My bet also is that Scots will need a work permit to work in the UK after independence. Independence is purely an emotional decision, and we all know that emotional decisions can be costly. I read today that many regular holidaymakers to Scotland are already cancelling proposed holidays due to fear of Scottish aggression. It will cost their tourist trade regardless of the outcome, as slow learners realise that the majority of Scots resent the English to a huge extent, even though we saved them after the Darien crisis. ,, and we still don''t know which currency they will be using.   [/quote]

[/quote]I followed Scotland to the 1992 World Cup where I got slapped across the face by a Scots fan in an Italian bar for my audacity....I was also told that they would never follow England the way that I would follow a fellow British nation. I went to the Costa Rica and Brazil games,,, both 1-0 defeats, with Scots. The Scots are not fond of the English and never will be, so best to separate. Remember the Wembley goalposts !!  The dumping of the Barnett formula will save us a fortune !! [/quote]Correction 1990 World Cup.... I''m interested to hear which part of my post was propaganda.....