Sign in to follow this  
Wiggy1973

Have City really been 'outstanding'?

As apparently quoted by NA. There seems to be a perennial issue that the view from dugout seemingly provides a significantly enhanced view of City''s performances. Whilst I am of course very happy with our results I think on reflection they might have been different. We were awful at Wolves and Blackburn, Cardiff and Brentford could all have been out of sight by the time we decided to start playing. I think the message should focus on where we can improve rather than being too self-congratulatory and complacent.

OTBC

Perhaps their was a silent qualification, "for the division we''re in".

There is a reason Cardiff and Brentford (and the list will get bigger as time goes by) didn''t capitalise earlier or consolidate - they are (now) Championship sides with a corresponding mix of strengths and weaknesses.

Would we have been punished by PL teams in the same situation? Probably. But you hope we will also be stronger by the time that is the prime concern once more (both in personnel and experience).

"There is a reason* Cardiff and Brentford (and the list will get bigger as time goes by) didn''t capitalise earlier or consolidate - they are (now) Championship sides with a corresponding mix of strengths and weaknesses."

* There is actually another one too, and he''s called John

Technically, does it actually matter?5 wins and a draw in the last 6 games from some fairly tough teams, we haven''t really played anyone bad yet.You can only beat whats in front of you. (football cliche #2546)

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

Perhaps their was a silent qualification, "for the division we''re in".

There is a reason Cardiff and Brentford (and the list will get bigger as time goes by) didn''t capitalise earlier or consolidate - they are (now) Championship sides with a corresponding mix of strengths and weaknesses.

Would we have been punished by PL teams in the same situation? Probably. But you hope we will also be stronger by the time that is the prime concern once more (both in personnel and experience).

[/quote]

Spot on GA47. If there are fans out there waiting for us to play a brilliantly for 90 minutes and not give the opposition an single opportunity for 90 minutes, then they need to wise up or just go and PLAY some football. Or stop watching it. Just ridiculous. There''s only one team that has ever been able to - sometimes, not always - go out on a pitch and just completely dictate the play from start to finish and not give the opposition a single chance and that was Guardiola''s Barca. Other than that, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

At our level, it''s all about doing your very best to limit the opposition''s chances, maximise your own and of course, TAKE the chances you make. And that''s the difference between at the top of their leagues and the rest. Sure, we didn''t limit the opposition''s chances enough against Cardiff and they took a couple of them, that''s football. We created more and took more and yes, Adams has already said he doesn''t want to have too many games where we have to score three or four because we''ve let in two.

I seem to remember we had these debates in the Lambert era when we couldn''t keep clean sheets and also quite often had to change formation or personnel mid game. Since we were winning back then too, this was all people could find to moan about and it seems to be happening again! All i''ll add is, try and remember the last 2 years, and try and enjoy the football we''re seeing at the moment. Please.

Actually I thought that the "outstanding" quote came from the Brentford manager in his post-match bit.Whilst moaning about the penalty decision he praised his side for going "toe to toe" for much of the game  with such an "outstanding team."Three away wins on the trot, with eight goals scored, is a bit special though.With the instant demise of Fulham and Cardiff''s unencouraging start to the campaign we must surely stand out amongst the favourites now.

From what I have seen, and I would have loved to have seen more, then the results have been outstanding and the performances mixed.......the thing though is, that it looks to me like we can play a lot better more of the time, so watch out some of those sides we have yet to play!!

[Sigh]. There''s always room for improvement, so there will always be something for somebody to moan about.

Why is any comment other than unfettered praise viewed as moaning? I am not moaning. As I stated in the original post I am very happy with the results. I simply do not believe we have been outstanding.

Only people without much football knowledge will say we have been "outstanding".

The results have been very good, but the general play very mixed indeed.

Infact, if anything I think we have been slightly fortunate given how games how turned out for us. It is a mix of us playing well when we are really playing well, and being a bit fortunate not to concede more when we have been below par.

Unlucky: The loss at Wolves still is annoying. The red card ruined it for us, and I think we would have got a point that day but for the red card.

Lucky: Watfords early red card. 8 of 10 refs give a yellow for that offence so early in the game.

Slightly lucky: The Blackburn 3-1 win was in general OK playing wise, but goals came very late, albeit after good pressure, but Blackburn could very well have leveled before we scored 3-1 at the death, and if I don''t remember all wrong they hit the post as well?

Slightly lucky: Cardiff result was excellent, but we could well have seen Cardiff leading 3-0 or more, and if so, the game would have been out of our sights. Superb comeback, but we owe a lot to Ruddy and some poor Cardiff finishing before we turned ut around in a brilliant fashion.

Slightly lucky: 3-0 at Brentford was flattering, as they battered us in the first half, and I would not have complained too much if Brentford had led 1-0 or even 2-0 at HT. Penalty incident was perhaps exaggerated by the Brentford boss, but on another day we could easily have been penalized and gone on to draw, or perhaps lose the game.

Now, I don''t want to be overly critical, because the team is not recognizable from the shambles of last season, but there are certainly things to improve. It is important that the poor stuff is not dusted under the carpet, but brought forward and rectified.

Grabban has had a lot of press for his early season goals, but for me, his general game has not been fantastic. I think he needs quite a fe chances before scoring, and his scoring technique seems bait clumsy sometimes. Grabban should have scored against Cardiff when Turner bundled it in, and with a another referee we may have seen him blowing for offside. Grabban scuffed it (or half-missed ut) before Turner bundled it in.

Vs Blackburn Grabban was on the verge of messing up the 3-1 goal, but salvaged it in the end.

Don´t get me wrong, Grabban is a good striker at this level, but he is not a Messiah.

I think a fit Hooper will give him a good run for his money alongside Jerome in a 4-4-2.

Anyway, it is a long hard season, and we have to expect players fading in and out of form during the season. Thats why we got a big and competitive squad.

Having said that, with this squad comes expectations, and I would certainly expect us to finish in the top 2 this season.

If we get promotion this season I would almost guarantee that most of the games will be like the ones we''ve already had. Very rarely does a team dominate the whole game in the championship. Even when we won league one we probably totally dominated less than half a dozen games. The other points were picked up when inferior opposition tired.

It''s not luck that we''ve ground out these points in games like Tuesday at Brentford. It''s because we''ve matched them for effort and our extra quality has come through. Whether that be in goalkeeper''s saves, defender''s blocks, midfield passes and tackles or attacker''s goals. It''s not luck that we are better but being better is no good unless you match the oppositions workrate too.

Nah, we''ve been rubbish

I particularly hated it when we beat Ipswich and went top

Hi wiggy check out Neil Adams post match interview on youtube. He actually talks about how he thinks there are areas for improvement and he''s working on them all the time. A newspaper article will always use selective quotes depending on the perspective they want to create so should never be taken in isolation.

Nothing at all moany about wanting us to do better.   I love the fact that we are right near the top but have plenty of scope for improving - it shows that as long as we keep the focus, we will look stronger as the season goes on.   The "outstanding" label may be right at the end of the season - if we keep doing well.  For now we are doing well and its great to be winning matches, but it''s only September and there is a long way to go.

Sorry gref but in regard to football knowledge you''ve got it the wrong way round. You seem to be saying we haven''t played well purely on the basis that the opposition has had chances (plus the odd bit of luck) but as nutty says and I said already, no one team dominates another from start to finish. Both teams have chances and it''s neither arrogance or a lack of football knowledge to expect any team to get through a game without the opposition having chances.

The mark of a good team is in how they take those chances and how many they create. And of course how well they restrict the opposition but as I''ve said, the opposition will always have chances themselves and so far the opposition we have faced haven''t taken their chances as well as we have.

Nutty is also absolutely right to say if we do go up the games will look very much like the ones we have already seen.

Nutty Nigel and LDC sum it up nicely for me.

So, when is this ridiculous situation going to stop when if you don''t cream all over everything Neil Adams you get accused of being negative or, a Neil Adams hater or something similar, its getting very tedious and really is not clever.

[quote user="Wiggy1973"]As apparently quoted by NA. There seems to be a perennial issue that the view from dugout seemingly provides a significantly enhanced view of City''s performances. Whilst I am of course very happy with our results I think on reflection they might have been different. We were awful at Wolves and Blackburn, Cardiff and Brentford could all have been out of sight by the time we decided to start playing. I think the message should focus on where we can improve rather than being too self-congratulatory and complacent. OTBC[/quote]

Is that you Lincoln ? [;)]

Buh your spelling is as poor as mine, please provide some evidence where I have "moaned for the SAKE of moaning"?????? Please make it soon, I need a good laugh!

I can''t understand why people moan about other people moaning, Mark.I''ve only been going for 61 years so I''ve had a lot to moan about.Be honest, moaning is half the fun.[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"]I can''t understand why people moan about other people moaning, Mark.I''ve only been going for 61 years so I''ve had a lot to moan about.Be honest, moaning is half the fun.[:D][/quote]As long as you''re not moaning about people moaning about people moaning.[;)]

The Walker and Stringer comparisons seem to be a little over the top given the style of football is nothing like what they produced. It has been said that Adams will get the team playing in the manner of his fa youth cup winning side, and that''s what worries me. We ought to be trying to play a slick passing game rather than relying on punting the ball up to a big striker.

[quote user="Boss Drum"] We ought to be trying to play a slick passing game rather than relying on punting the ball up to a big striker.[/quote]

Do you actually think that''s how we''re playing?

[quote user="a1canary"]Sorry gref but in regard to football knowledge you''ve got it the wrong way round. You seem to be saying we haven''t played well purely on the basis that the opposition has had chances (plus the odd bit of luck) but as nutty says and I said already, no one team dominates another from start to finish. Both teams have chances and it''s neither arrogance or a lack of football knowledge to expect any team to get through a game without the opposition having chances.

The mark of a good team is in how they take those chances and how many they create. And of course how well they restrict the opposition but as I''ve said, the opposition will always have chances themselves and so far the opposition we have faced haven''t taken their chances as well as we have.

Nutty is also absolutely right to say if we do go up the games will look very much like the ones we have already seen.[/quote]

Sure, but the context of this thread is " have we been outstanding".

No, we have not. We have played very well in patches, and poorly in patches. Expected, yes, as no team will dominate totally in this division.

But I was answering the OP''s question, and imho we have not been outstanding.

On a scale from 1-10 we are on a solid 7

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Wiggy1973"]As apparently quoted by NA. There seems to be a perennial issue that the view from dugout seemingly provides a significantly enhanced view of City''s performances. Whilst I am of course very happy with our results I think on reflection they might have been different. We were awful at Wolves and Blackburn, Cardiff and Brentford could all have been out of sight by the time we decided to start playing. I think the message should focus on where we can improve rather than being too self-congratulatory and complacent. OTBC[/quote]

Is that you Lincoln ? [;)]

[/quote]

Afraid not.

Good to see somebody else has a more realistic view though. Continuous improvement requires you to evaluate all aspects, and in particular focusing on the not so good parts. We''ve had more than our fair share of luck already... So we just need to make sure we''re working on our weaknesses for when that luck runs out.

All in all though I couldn''t be happier with the start. But I know we can be even better with the players at our disposal.

This is great, we are 2nd in the league, unbeaten in six and there''s plenty to improve on......and we have the players to do it. What an excellent position to be in.

Not complaining. Cup final would be nice tho Neil.

Agree with this. We have been good and have picked up good results. Outstanding....... not yet but hey when these players get to know each other we will be

If anyone fancies a monumental bubble burst, we''re currently available at 150/1 for the drop to League One with Bet365.

If all this luck we''ve apparently been having suddenly dries up....