Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Grabban and VOO

Now, Grabban has, in general, been a revelation.

But in recent games, he has not been "hot" enough.

Today vs Brum, a needless yellow card for kicking the ball away, and he did not look dangerous during the game either.

When Hooper is fit, he is sure to get in the mix, and I think Grabban need to step up his game a bit if he is to keep the shirt.

Jerome is a certain starter now, while Grabbs is not at the moment.

Also found it a bit strange the VOO did not get a sniff today. Johnson was on a yellow, and he did not even come on in the second half. Rather strange to me, but there may be things in training which suggests he is not ready, maybe not fit enough, etc.

But he must be worth a 10 min cameo at least, especially when Johnson was on a yellow and did not have the best of games.

Grabban did ok, definitely should have started next to Jerome who''s also on fire. Both very good strikers and with Hooper coming back everything is looking very good indeed. No need to get on his back just because he didn''t score, he won us some vital games at the start of the season, when he hasn''t managed to score Jerome has come in and done the business.

I think Hooper will play on Tuesday and if he goes well might well start ahead of Grabbs next weekend alongside Jerome.

Wes was definitely off his best today and it would have been good to see VOO on for the second half, but it didn''t work out too badly so I guess Adams got it right! - would certainly be good to see both him and Howson get a run-out vs Shrewsbury.

[quote user="grefstad"]But he must be worth a 10 min cameo at least, especially when Johnson was on a yellow and did not have the best of games.[/quote]Just my opinion but I thought Johnson had an excellent game today

depends what the ''game plan ''the first half it was clearly a case heave it over to the opposite wing and lob a cross insecond half seemed to be a bit of running at the defencehad we had gone 3-2 I''m sure we would have seen O''Neill on rather than Laffertyit is not always about putting on your ''best'' players, but using those most suited to the needs of the game at that time

Agreed MP, Johnno didn''t disgrace himself at all in the PL, and now he is proving how good he is in the championship. I''ve said before on here that people don''t realise how much he does for the team, defensively in the midfield engine room but also going forward. He has been at the centre of many of our goal scoring moves so far this season and again today set Martin up beautifully for his assist to CJ.

I''m really keen to see VOO but it''s hard to know who to drop to get him in.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="grefstad"]But he must be worth a 10 min cameo at least, especially when Johnson was on a yellow and did not have the best of games.[/quote]Just my opinion but I thought Johnson had an excellent game today[/quote]

Johnson did have an the today - his right foot long pass out to the right wing enabled Martin to set up the goal.

Downside for me, was when Johnson squared up to Olsson like he was gonna nut him first half! I am all for seeing players having passion and emotions, but that was a step too far!

*** edit button ***

Johnson did have an excellent game today - his right foot long pass out to the right wing enabled Martin to set up the goal.

Downside for me, was when Johnson squared up to Olsson like he was gonna nut him first half! I am all for seeing players having passion and emotions, but that was a step too far!

thought grabban was poor today, shocking miss that would have secured us three points while still 0-0 and while I like a selfish striker some attempts to shoot through defenders were or from silly angles when players were better placed were simply too selfish.

No surprise he came off but I think he deserves to start again against blackpool

Grabban doesn''t appear to have a great first touch; probably makes up for it with tracking back, harrying and creating space for others. When fit, Hooper should easily displace him. Grabban''s yellow card for kicking the ball away shows he''s not very intelligent either.

Hooiveld wasted 3 or 4 chances to score with his head. Thought he was supposed to be a real threat from set-pieces? He certainly wasn''t in this match! Tettey blasted several wide several times from distance when better options existed.

We got away with it to scrape a point today - could have lost by 3 or 4 when frankly we should have had this game wrapped up in the first half!

Not 1 point gained; it was 2 points donated...

Grabban and Jerome are joint 3rd top scorers in this division so far with 5 goals each. Stop moaning because theres little to moan about, its all going to plan so far.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Grabban and Jerome are joint 3rd top scorers in this division so far with 5 goals each. Stop moaning because theres little to moan about, its all going to plan so far.[/quote]

It''s not moaning from the OP - I agree that Grabban is decent but isn''t as special as some make him out to be - misses loads of chances and a couple of the goals he has scored were very fortunate and needed two bites at the cherry (penalty and 3rd goal v Blackburn). I think Hooper will take his place when fit again and will score plenty. Good to have competition for places and hopefully that will make Grabban work on his finishing.

Yep.

From what I have seen of Grabban so far, I am not convinced he is the main striker for us going forward.

If Hooper is up to it, he will for sure grab (pun intended) the shirt.

Also wanted to see Lafferty get a chance up front (on for Grabs) instead of out on the wing, but it was not to be this time.

Regarding VOO, it seems Johnson will have to do pretty poorly to lose his place. I am not hiding that I have never been a fan of Johnson, a player I rate as being rather limited and one-dimensional.

I think VOO will give us more presence, more running power, and perhaps more box-to-box capabilities.

He can shot too...

Looks like Howson, Hooper, VOO, Miquel, Loza will start vs Shrewsbury now.