Sign in to follow this  
Canary Wanderer

Where is Sebastian Bassong

We are never going to really know what Bassong''s motivations are, but sticking out for wages that he is on will be important to him, as money is something he is desperately aware of because of his family and relatives in the Cameroon being so incredibly poor.   I don''t know if he sends money home, only he will know that, but it is said he feels very deeply about that and  to see him only in the light of a greedy mercenary is not fair imo.    Understanding the motivations of people who come from a different background in a poor country is difficult for most of us brought up in this country.   Bassong is lucky, his talent has enabled him to get wealth beyond most of his countrymen''s dreams - he may even feel some guilt for earning so much - but he won''t want to go anywhere else while he can pick up the wages he is on at Norwich.

I think the pressure of being captain got to him last season - he has said he likes to be relaxed when playing - and that is not always a good thing - you can be too relaxed..............      

I don''t think football is the most important thing to him by a long way, because of his backround,  so he may be quite happy not being involved and picking up the money.  Plenty of money to send home, no pressure in his career, a nice lifestyle, what''s not to enjoy?  He may be out in the cold, but I don''t think that with his religion and his family issues abroad, he will be that bothered.  There''s more to life than football...........

How do you know that his family are poor, if I may ask? Was there an interview or something because I wouldn''t like to think you just made the assumption that everyone in Cameroon are poor.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]How do you know that his family are poor, if I may ask? Was there an interview or something because I wouldn''t like to think you just made the assumption that everyone in Cameroon are poor.[/quote]

Its well documented about his family and relatives in the Cameroon.  There was a tv programme done a few years ago which followed him around for a couple of days, documentary style, explained quite a lot. 

I''m sure they do live in Cameroon, but the point I was making was that we don''t know what''s going on behind the scenes so the point you made about his family being really poor could be fabricated.

Well as far as I''m aware Bassong was actually born in Paris, France. Of course that''s not to say that he doesn''t have family in Cameroon. But I think regardless of the financial situation of his family, wherever they are in the world, he is not doing his chances of earning more in the future any good by sitting on his contract and letting it wind down, whilst doing the bare minimum to ensure he can''t be dismissed.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I''m sure they do live in Cameroon, but the point I was making was that we don''t know what''s going on behind the scenes so the point you made about his family being really poor could be fabricated.[/quote]

LOL missus. Most of this thread is fabricated.

It''s a fact that Bassong was really close to Hughton, which is why I posted the link to that interview. But it''s conjecture to say that''s the reason for the current situation.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I''m sure they do live in Cameroon, but the point I was making was that we don''t know what''s going on behind the scenes so the point you made about his family being really poor could be fabricated.[/quote]

LOL missus. Most of this thread is fabricated.

It''s a fact that Bassong was really close to Hughton, which is why I posted the link to that interview. But it''s conjecture to say that''s the reason for the current situation.

[/quote]

So, perhaps ourbest chance of moving Mr Bassong, who does not seem to have a Norwich future, off the wagebill would be for Mr Hughton to get himself another job.

[quote user="El Asesino"]Supposedly Bassong questioned the appointment of NA and didn''t want to play for him, so NA instructed the board not to sell, but to run his contract down and let him rot with the kids until his contract has been run down![/quote]

And where did you get this gem? I am pretty certain NA works FOR the board and therefore is in no position go "instruct" them on any subject whatsoever. Pay his wages for two years without having any product from him and then let him leave for free or try and get him off the wage bill and recoup a decent fee for him. Now, which option makes most business sense?

Quick Google reveals this quote:

"I''m from a really poor family in Cameroon, so for them it''s a blessing to have someone who can bring a bit of sunshine to the family to get them out of where they are. So I''m working for myself and my close family but also people in Cameroon, because if I''m not doing it, who''s going to do it? God gave me the chance to be able to play a sport that generates money. If at a certain stage I''ve got to share it, then it''s a blessing for us. I enjoy giving. But pressure comes with it."

Why would we let an ex-POTS rot with the kids, when presumably he is on a massive wedge, just out of spite? I could understand it if they were doing it until they could move Bassong on, but can''t see a well run club like Norwich being unprofessional.

Ideally we need the differences to be resolved, because he is still a quality defender on his day.

My understanding is that the club is trying everything to get Bassong off the books, be it transfer loan or negotiating terminating the contract. Unfortunately if someone doesn''t want to lose their big contract there.''s not a lot you can do. As for letting him rot for spite..can you honestly see DM paying out money if he didn''t have to?

"Wherrrrs Bassong!!?" Is now a bone-fide canary call statement

Up there with "wherrrs coooody buh!!?"

[quote user="star_manic"][quote user="El Asesino"]Supposedly Bassong questioned the appointment of NA and didn''t want to play for him, so NA instructed the board not to sell, but to run his contract down and let him rot with the kids until his contract has been run down![/quote]

And where did you get this gem? I am pretty certain NA works FOR the board and therefore is in no position go "instruct" them on any subject whatsoever. Pay his wages for two years without having any product from him and then let him leave for free or try and get him off the wage bill and recoup a decent fee for him. Now, which option makes most business sense?[/quote]Exactly.I reckon NA agreed to give NCFC say a £1m or two as a '' transfer fee '' then pay Bassong''s wages for the remainder of his contract so he can make a point.Back in the real world.....

What LDC says seems to be possibly the closest to reality. Bassong is on a footballer''s sabbatical. He enjoys the decent training facilities that helps to keep him fit, happy not to get injured, and is looking forward to picking the best offer when his contract runs out, thus maximizing his his profit.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="chrisr1606"]I just saw him trying to get into the rock shop on regent road in yarmouth[/quote]Why didn''t he use the door like everyone else ? [:D][/quote]He''s currently in my sock draw having a fondu party with Peter Beardsley and Efan Ekoku.

Would I be right in thinking Grant Holt is similarly placed at Wigan? I guess this, whatever this is, happens more often than I thought..