Sign in to follow this  
St Georgey

Hoiveld

Really didn''t fill me with confidence today. In fact I thought he was poor. Looks slow, and doesn''t read the game well.

A rather average Donaldson was made to look a much better player because of who was marking him.

I''d rather see someone else alongside Turner against Blackpool.

If Miquel is fit then I''d rather we give him a go at centre back and keep Martin at RB. He was excellent was pushing forward in the second half today.

Perhaps Miquel will get a game against Shrewsbury.

But I''d rather have Martin at centre back and Whitaker at right back than play Hooiveld.

Yeah hope we get to see Miquel against Shrewsbury. To be fair to Hooiveld, he was great with Turner in the second half v Cardiff and has great passing range. Only his second game, for me the juries still out.

If he gets a game in the cup then hopefully Miquel gives Adams something to think about.

Or I hope Hooiveld was just having an off day.

Wes certainly had an off day. Credit to Adams for taking him off at half time. He kept inviting needless pressure onto us by giving the ball away.

2 things went wrong with the defence today.
The first thing was tactical. Playing Wes out wide was a defensive disaster, as his tendency to drift centrally meant that Olsson was required to push forward and provide width on the left hand side, regardless of where the ball was. Most of the time, Norwich use the very standard tactic of the full-back looking to overlap/support his winger when the ball is on his side of the field, whilst the other full-back adopts a position that, whilst more advanced than his centre-backs, still allows him to offer protection on the counter (by either delaying an attack down his side or by allowing the defence to shift over to the opposite side). Olsson having to try and provide with all the time meant that it was often just Hooiveldand Turner at the back, neither of whom is particularly mobile, leading to issues when playing against a 3 quite fast forwards from Birmingham (Donaldson, Grey and Cotterill). Also, Wes drifting central often meant that he wasn''t covering Olsson when he looked to overlap, again causing problems on the counter.
The second thing was that all our defenders seemed to risk commtting themselves too easily. Rather than trying to delay an attack or force forwards into less desirable positions the defenders consistently tried risky interceptions and tackles, often leaving us exposed.

I don''t know about ishooooooooosbut the second goal wasn''t that the defence commitedt themselves, but that they didn''t close down quick enoughwe had this problem (and problem is what it is) under Hughton where defenders would sit off attackers allowing them time on the ballwatch to see how there were two Brum players unmarked when one took the ball and scored

Well hopefully VOO,HOWSON,HOOPER,MIQUEL,LOZA,CUELLAR will all give NA something to think about.

All could feature in Blackpool game if fit.

Not too upset about today

The fact we didn''t hardly get a mention on the Football league show means we can keep playing without the media pressure.......... unless you are from Norfolk of course

There was too much space between our defence and midfield for their second goal when the cross came in, but everyone looked a bit lazy in that first half.

Noticed Adams called them over in second half and appeared to give them a right rollicking about not closing down quick enough on several occasions.

Donaldson is a far better player than many will give credit for, just because he isn''t a ''name'' - but I''ve seen him at Brentford several times and he is a handful. Maybe Jos didn''t have his best game defensively yesterday, but he certainly adds a threat at set pieces and some of his passing out of defence was excellent.

Hooisveld wasn''t that bad!

I though he looked assured and his only faults was the 3-4 headers he put over their bar from corners!

The midfield yesterday was to blame for putting the defence under more pressure than needed cause they were giving away the ball to much!

City 1st has it spot on and this is my issue with playing Turner.

Great at reading and reacting to long high balls and good at dealing with crosses but has a slow reaction and lakcs pace.

A ice to have is a pacey CB alongside, additionally I hate the way we sit so deap when Tettey & Johnson drop deep.

Let''s not be too critical but our defence isn''t as good as it could be and will be soon when Miquel gets his match fitness.

No doubt Swindon but it''s when we are on the back foot that we look poor not while we attack.

the last 4 games we have been out played by each team (was not as bad against brum) but our second half is when we up our tempo and fight back.

We need to learn our lessons that we don''t have to sit so deep and allow so much time and space in the first 45 minutes.

we are fantastic at stepping it up and our squad is geat, maybe time to give the others a look in so keeping things fresh and all players on their towes, Wes was awful this weekend and cost us a goal.

but a great cimeback and another fine display by the team to get back.

you can''t really say that tbh swindon because the opposition always score in the first half where we always look as if we are trying to feel our way into the game but not succeeding, we look lazy and disinterested in the first halves, not because we are attacking, but because we are not closing down enough.

[quote user="kingsway"]

Hooisveld wasn''t that bad!

I though he looked assured and his only faults was the 3-4 headers he put over their bar from corners!

[/quote]

I don''t think it was really what you''d call an assured performance. Not when you consider the trouble he had dealing with Donaldson and the number of times Donaldson beat him to the ball.

Yes he had about 4 headers at goal on Saturday.

Professional footballer - I think Ryan Bennett or Bassong would eventually get one on target.

Our defence is the weak point - he makes it weak ! Wasn''t impressed when we signed him. First time I watched him "live" was a couple of seasons ago against Southampton in that game when it poured down & Holt missed a last minute penalty. I thought for a big guy he was pretty easily knocked to the ground or was always on the ground complaining.

Big deal if he gets over excited celebrating - he''s a hopeless player.

We need defenders like Leon Barnett. Someone who can stop attacks - we don''t need people that lives off the back of our attacking players, does nothing & looks for a piggyback ride into the premiership.

You maybe right, but he''s only had two games so far, Southampton fans rate him highly in this league and Ryan Bennett is also our and Whitts is worse (to shift to the right). Surely the jury is still out?

He is not ''BAD,'' he''s been bad in one of the games he''s played, he was phenomenal in the second half v Cardiff but was pretty woeful v Birmingham. It''s stupid to label a player ''bad'' after 3 games, you could be right but it''s a stupid thing to say, especially when he''s so highly rated in this division.

stupid ??? Highly rated in this division ???

I don''t care if he''s got a triple A rating - those headers need to go in before you gain any rating around here !

Look at what''s going on in front of you on the pitch !

High ratings ??

Even RVW came with a rating didn''t he ??