Sign in to follow this  
pete

Neil use the squad

Yesterday Wes complained he was tired and had a problem during the week. Wes is 32 and three games in a week is too much. Neil should therefore have recognised he needed to make a change a perfect opportunity to give Vadis OO a start.

Is this the first error of the season by NA or was that the diamond at Wolves which was brought about by personnel missing. I am sure it will not be repeated.

Oh my goodness, how to write a reply message without it being seen as negative or anti Adams.

Having read that he was struggling before the game and seeing that we now have an absolutely terrific squad, I was genuinely surprised Wes played.

That said, if the Manager had a game plan all week and Wes was part of it, then I can understand the decision and risk he took, but it was not necessary and possibly cost us the win (?).

As for his first error? Well, I am sure he has made more than one or two to date.....BUT, he is a rooky Manager and appears to be learning very quickly indeed! It''s actually great seeing what''s happening as the team and management get used to being in this league....more mistakes top come I''m sure, but that''s how you learn! So much more to come from this team/squad, so much more!

I wouldn''t really call it a mistake, Wes has been our most influential player thus far. Even if he was only half fit anybody in their right mind would''ve been looking to start him if at all possible.

It didn''t work, Adams realised this and replaced him at half time. No complaints from me.

Yes wes has his limitations and positives.

But for me he should be on the bench as the player to come on to change the game. I cannot believe after so many years we still rely on hoolahoops as our creative edge.

We need more balance and hoolahoops for me is not ideal in the 442 and therefore should be on the bench. But Adams, as other managers, see him on the training field.

Up until yesterday Wes had been immense! 1 bad half and he shouldn''t be in starting 11? Crazy.

Adams is using his squad - but he also wants to win matches - that''s why he''s playing Hoolahan.

You got to be brain dead if you don''t realise by now that Hoolahan is our most creative player. Any manager worth their salt would play him. Adam''s is astute enough to play him but not in the correct position on Saturday. Grabbon should have started on the left wing to give us balance.

Yes we do have Howson & Vardis who will be pretty effective against championship sides from "open" play. But what about teams that park the bus and put 11 players behind the ball. How do you turn 1 point into 3 then? Probably only one person in the entire championship that can unlock that kind of defensive strategy - luckily he plays for us - (a genuine top 6 premiership player).

Saturday was a prime example - about 27 shots - only 4 on target - lucky Jerome had 2 of those. Hoolahan on an average day would have unlocked that defence and setup the 3rd goal. Unfortuately he wasn''t up to even average on Saturday but that shouldn''t put Adams off. He knows full well you need something "special" to get out of this division. Yes - he''s got a squad of very talented players -but he''s only got one like Hoolahan - as shown in the last 3 season''s - you can have money but you just can''t buy a like-for-like replacement.

In my opinion the midfield of BJ - Tettey - Hoolahan would not be where you make changes.

My impression of Hoolahan, rightly or wrongly, is that he is an excellent player in bursts and in the right games. We seem to go round this cycle quite regularly: Hools is great, annointed our creative saviour, then struggles for a couple of games, gets blamed for not covering and losing ball etc, gets dropped then fed up, replacement in the team not the right answer either, Hools gets his chance again; and so on.

It is indeed a squad game, and I would prefer it if Hools is in the starting line up regularly but not all the time, this keeps the opposition guessing too. He is undoubtedly talented but there must a reason no one has thrown mega bucks at us to get him.

Hoolahan can only play in the hole.  Otherwise he drifts around.  Watching the first half on Saturday, with him drifting in and Redmond doing the same, we lacked width, which stretched our full backs.Hoolahan in the hole or on the bench should be the rule.

He''s a great player for the championship but at 32 he will not be able to play every game and will need resting from time to time.

If promoted he will have to be replaced.

(Top 6 premier league player is way off!)

[quote user="Shyster"]Neil''s one mistake at present is playing Hoolahan on the wing.[/quote]No. He also made the quite poor mistake of believing that Russel Martin was good enough to be a starting centre back at this level. The fact our right back had a number 5 on his shirt on Saturday highlighted this mistake and will continue to do so until the end of the season.It must be said though that he did identify the mistake he had made at half time and corrected it bringing on Josh Murphy. I think many of the poorer managers we have had in recent times either would have stuck to the failing system well into the second half or have brought on the currently poorer Elliott Bennett as the safe experienced option rather than giving our on form youth prospect a run out.He''s also corrected the CB issue by bringing in Hoiveld who fits what we needed there very well being both comfortable playing the ball out and left footed.

Whatever he''s doing pregame to get the team ready to play seems inadequate based on too many weak first half performances so that makes playing Hoolahan not his first error.

By he works it out at halftime, so no biggie.

He is not exaggerating a bit, he is exaggerating a lot. At his best Wes is a mid table EPL player, but his overall contribution is not premiership standard at any level. If he could harness his ability to produce consistently high performances he would be a valued member of a mid table team. Unfortunately I cannot see him being a consistent starter for us when Howson and Odjidja are fully integrated and match fit unless he manages more consistency.

Star_manic wrote this garbage:

He is not exaggerating a bit, he is exaggerating a lot. At his best Wes is a mid table EPL player, but his overall contribution is not premiership standard at any level. If he could harness his ability to produce consistently high performances he would be a valued member of a mid table team. Unfortunately I cannot see him being a consistent starter for us when Howson and Odjidja are fully integrated and match fit unless he manages more consistency. 

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I''ll tell you what - when we get someone better than Hoolahan - I''ll tell yah. Cos there''s no way you''d be able to work it out yourself - you wouldn''t know a good player if they were right in front of you !

Also you better pray (for the club''s sake) Hoolahan is fit for most of the matches  - or you may get your wish - Howson & Odjidja !