Sign in to follow this  
The Polar Bears Made Me Do It

The League Cup

We''re out of the cup. And I the greater scope of things you may say "so what"? Yes, the league is important but I think its a great shame the way our domestic cup competitions are treated. If the FA Cup has lost its lustre, the League Cup has become a sideshow. And given that it represents our club''s only notable silverware that''s a real shame.

Given the two games a week nature of the Championship players do need to be rested and the squad used to its best potential. But do we really need to rest the entire first team starting XI?

The Milk Cup final at Wembley is one on my favourite memories. Personally, I''d like to go to another cup final. If we teat these competitions with such disdain, that''s not going to happen.

I''ve been thinking about this, as I loved our League Cup runs in the 70s - apart from both trips to Wembley, but in those days there wasn''t much financial difference between being in the First or Second Divisions.

How things have changed. Now being in the Premiership is akin to the Holy Grail and this has devalued both domestic cups for clubs like us. Add in the fact that winning a cup can lead to the poisoned chalice of the Europa Cup and it makes sense for us to try and get out of the cups asap.

A sad situation, but just one side effect of Sky''s mega money.