Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Is Lafferty a liability?

First of all, i''m not doubting his quality or ability. Although he''s struggled lately, he started the season as one of our best players.

But whenever things don''t go our way he looks like a constant threat of elbowing someone in the face or two-footing someone. Surely when you''re a goal down, the last thing you need is a player who could reduce us to 10 men which usually means game over.

Or do you just seem him as a player with a lot of passion who, like every NCFC player should, hate losing a game regardless of the opposition?

I can''t decide

Think it could be frustration,has stated he started the season well but without scoring but Grabbon was ,he''s lost his place now because Jerome''s come in and started to score .He missed a reasonably easy chance early in the game last night .Think he needs to get that first goal but can''t see him getting another start if the team continues with the league form.

He needs to keep his aggression and use it wisely. We missed having players with the passion he has last season and you know you''ll never get a quiet game out of him.

I couldn''t really care if he gets booked as long as that''s it.

I feel Rooney is a worse player since he lost his edge.

Liability is too harsh. A risk, yes. But as with most risks you take, there''s an upside to it. Yes he will get sent off one day, and will probably miss a few games when he gets 5 yellows, but if you took that aggression and bite out of his game he''d far less effective and we''d lose more points than we gain with him.

[quote user="MancCanary"]Liability is too harsh. A risk, yes. But as with most risks you take, there''s an upside to it. Yes he will get sent off one day, and will probably miss a few games when he gets 5 yellows, but if you took that aggression and bite out of his game he''d far less effective and we''d lose more points than we gain with him.[/quote]A fair assessment.It''s good to see a bit of '' bite '' up front again. Skill-wise I don''t think he''s the long term answer but he certainly puts himself about and makes his presence felt.

Nobody complained when Grant Holt did it, did they?And before you blah blah on about "club legend" and goals, maybe just give the guy a chance.In these situations I always point to Iwan''s first season.

[quote user="morty"]Nobody complained when Grant Holt did it, did they?And before you blah blah on about "club legend" and goals, maybe just give the guy a chance.In these situations I always point to Iwan''s first season.[/quote]This. And I don''t recall Iwan ever being played on the left, either. Kyle''s bite, along with his all-round game, will be vital for us over the course of the season.

I actually feel sorry for him a bit. Earlier in the season we seemed to be crossing the ball more but playing with a formation where he was providing width and cover. Grabban was scoring but was perhaps getting chances that Lafferty would prefer, such as headers etc.We have now moved to playing two up front, which I think would suit Lafferty more, as whilst he has played well down the wing, I think this is probably more Grabban''s flexibility than his.Last night, he was teamed up with an unfit strike partner, and one he hasn''t played a competitive match alongside yet. It was always going to be a bit tough last night.I know yellow cards build towards suspensions but I like his passion. His response to a poor tackle on a team mate that wasn''t given was good in my eyes. If you allow teams to do that without response or reaction, they''ll do it more. He went a bit far and carried it on a bit - and that''s where he will need to learn to curb it. You just don''t get away with things like that in modern footy, especially in the prem.

I remain impressed with lafferty if you accept what he is and is not.

He works hard,  is not afraid to tackle or commit a professional foul and is showing great committment,  which has not always been present in his career (see martin O''Neils comments about his usual standard of performance for his country) who regularly see a red mist.

He is a talented footballer at this level,  when played as a wide attacker,   what he is not is neither a striker who will notch us 20 goals a season (something he has never achieved),  nor a target man nor strong in the air.

I have been impressed so far, and will happily continue with him as a regular appearer or starter despite one allegedly poor game....

It''s not encouraging to see him do his riverdance routine every time he receives the ball with his back to goal. He still has to prove that he can play at this level.