Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Beeb article : Hidden resistance' to hiring black managers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29333826

Thought this was an interesting one, after a quick scan you will be pleased to know no mention of Hoots or Norwich City. But it raises interesting questions.Im unsure what to think, personally I feel the only thing we should be looking for in a manager is "Can he do the job" rather than this "Rooney Rule" they are looking at from the NFL.I do feel that we owe it more to our youth system and need to invest better in the kids. This will not only help our National team but also the quality of our footballers. I do feel a rule regarding 50% of the first named team to be of Great British nationality would be a fantastic step. But money talks walks and controls.I have lived in a multiculturial society and have been part of a cultural and racial minority in my time so can see both sides of the argument. Sometimes I feel these sort of points are a little silly in regards to race and football. Although it is interesting to regard our Asian population / Asian footballer ratio. I cant think of any players in the Prem of Indain, Pakistani or Bangledeshi nationality? Surely this is a higher cause for concern as like any British youth these lads play football, generalising or stereotyping them as cricketers is daft.Thoughts?

im not a fan of what i see as "positive racism" basically by inventing issues...

i think the population of the UK is 97% "white English" - so to be equal or "average" most occupations will contain 97% white english employees.... that surely is simple math(s)

I just wish the media would stop fishing for stories and grow up.

97% white british? I can''t quite believe that, have you got a source?

I do agree this ''positive racism'' thing is daft though. Perhaps if the black managers were good enough, they''d get jobs, up to now, there hasn''t really been anyone good enough to take the mantle and the colour of their skin is a complete coincidence.

There are more and more black players now, so I could see some good black managers coming soon. I thought Dion Dublin would have been a good manager.

ah sorry just checked wiki and it says:

White: Total 55,010,359 87.1

so 87% sounds much more accurate!! :-P

still, the media love inventing issues... i dont see a queue of black managers complaining they have been refused football manager jobs etc etc... :)

c85% of the English population is white.

figures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_England

So applying that logic, the number of black football managers should be well into double figures.

ill be honest ive had a few beers so am messing up on the maths, i just dont believe this type of story.. its like the complaint there are too many white police officers or too many men in government.. i think this country is very very fair and its just how the cookie crumbles- ie the best person gets the job.

I would be amazed if there are not several gay managers. They''re just not openly gay.

Difference is that, if you''re black, it''s not something you can keep in the closet

I agree with the comments about positive racism. As said surely its down to skill on the pitch or touchline that dictates if you make it or not. I think the whole sexuality thing is a different can of worms. Its pretty much been suggested (and rule of maths bloody obvious) that there are a lot of gay footballers and that will extend to coaching staff. The comment about being able to keep the fact your black in the closet made me chuckle. Sad part is if footballers did openly come out you can already imagine what some sections of fan bases would conjure up after a few beers. Also as Norwich fans tolerance of homosexuality in football should be something that we should support with regards to Justin Fashanu much less the ethical correctness of it.

Are 85% of the players white? What about restaurantuers? Or tube workers or bus drivers? Hotel managers? Those are good careers jobs too.

Why is it wrong to suggest South Asians are drawn more to cricket that football if South Asians are drawn more to cricket than football?

Is there any actually decent black managers out there?

Paul Ince cries wolf but he''s rubbish, Hughton is probably the only one half decent enough at championship level, Chris Powell is meh

I''m sure people would employ black coaches as managers if there were any worthwhile candidates but I seriously can''t think of any...

Naughty BBC as usual.Reading the article Gordon Taylor says that there is a "hidden resistance" from the Football League to discuss the "Rooney Rule"What he does not say is that there is a hidden resistance to hiring black managers.Find it hard to take Gordon Taylor seriously after the squirming interview and non answers he gave over the PFA`s "backing" of the Astle family.

There''s been an on going argument for a while about black managers in the English game - the media jump on it as a racist football society.

You can point the same argument at a lack of (for the sake of an example) Australian or American managers in the English game and call us prejudice against these nations as a result.

As a previous poster said, it''s media fishing, easy and lazy journalism.

"Paul Ince has been out of work since being sacked by Blackpool last season"

Its because he has been given chance after chance and proven to not cut it as a manager. That is why he is out of work, not because he is black.

"There are 192 Uefa Pro Licence owners in England and 14 of those are black coaches"

You dont get given a Licence, you have to work for it.

"Around 25% of players in the professional game are non-white"

So, by the same token, should we be setting a rule to make sure we have enough white people in the game? NO, because that would be racist!

You CANNOT tackle discrimination by discriminating!

When asked abotu how to tackle Racism in a recent interview, Morgan Freeman responded withy "The best way to tackle Racism??? stop talking about it"

the report is exactly proof of what Freeman meant.

yeah good shout that Jas.I think it is quite stupid, ok sure so Im a white British male, but I had never actually sat there and thought... Oh, not many Black managers are there?But I approached this in the same nonchalanse that I do when I hear about a new signing, my first question isnt, Is he Black , White, Asian, its... can the lad play football?

[quote user="Martin Bryant"]im not a fan of what i see as "positive racism" basically by inventing issues...

i think the population of the UK is 97% "white English" - so to be equal or "average" most occupations will contain 97% white english employees.... that surely is simple math(s)

I just wish the media would stop fishing for stories and grow up.[/quote]I wish we''d had a ''hidden resistance'' two years ago !!!!  We''d probably still be in the Prem.