Sign in to follow this  
havemyhowsonit

Adams done nothing wrong tonight

He picked a side that was plenty good enough to win tonight.

Chance for these so called second string players to shine. He have them the chance and they blew it in a big way.

We shouldn''t be surprised it''s a common thing. We get no further than a 4th round in any cup competition. No matter what team or manager we''ve got.

Don''t like Redmond. Get over it!

Where in that mentions Redmond?

You obviously want an arguement. Not in the mood tonight but do try another time. Probably Saturday evening. I''ll book it in for you

It depends on what way you look at it I guess. Sure we can all understand the need to play as many of the squad as possible right now, and can agree that as individuals and squad members these players are of a good quality. BUT.....its high risk for any team to play eleven players together for the first time away in a cup match, regardless of it be Shrewsbury, and to expect everything to work out. In addition, then not to have at least one big gun on the bench to bring on just in case its not working out, is also high risk.

NA certainly cannot be blamed for taking a huge risk with the team and bench last night, it was simply a decision that he got wrong, and all manager''s do that at every level from time to time.....there, I said it, and now I will be classed as an Adams hater, which I am not.

He played what on paper looked like a strong squad that should be capable of performing, however the lack of effort by the entire tea m with the exception of Howson was nothing more than disgraceful!

On this evidence we do not have enough depth in the squad to be considered serious promotion contenders as some of the reserves clearly are either not good enough or do not care enough to help us maintain our good start,

He took a gamble with a squad that was put together for the first time. Some were unfit, some haven''t played for a while and a few inexperienced youngsters. Against a team that sounded far more up for it. The gamble didn''t work.

Nothing to get too worked up about.

[quote user="Herman "]He took a gamble with a squad that was put together for the first time. Some were unfit, some haven''t played for a while and a few inexperienced youngsters. Against a team that sounded far more up for it. The gamble didn''t work.

Nothing to get too worked up about.[/quote]

I hope you''re joking!!

"He took a gamble with a squad that was put together for the first time. Some were unfit, some haven''t played for a while and a few inexperienced youngsters."

It didn''t just not work, it''s completely unprofessional and totally disrespectful of the supporters who trekked over to Shrewsbury.

I know its a common attitude among managers nowadays (and a lot of fans) but it is completely wrong headed and somewhat disappointing that we have yet another manager who doesn''t have any interest in winning cup competitions.

Creative Midfielder wrote the following post at 24/09/2014 9:00 AM:

"It didn''t just not work, it''s completely unprofessional and totally disrespectful of the supporters who trekked over to Shrewsbury."

A lot of us on here predicted the team (more or less) and we were all confident of a comfortable win whilst expressing the lack of playing time together as maybe a negative. The fact that it failed was not unprofessional or disrespectful on the Manager''s part but down to (some) of the players.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Creative Midfielder wrote the following post at 24/09/2014 9:00 AM:

"It didn''t just not work, it''s completely unprofessional and totally disrespectful of the supporters who trekked over to Shrewsbury."

A lot of us on here predicted the team (more or less) and we were all confident of a comfortable win whilst expressing the lack of playing time together as maybe a negative. The fact that it failed was not unprofessional or disrespectful on the Manager''s part but down to (some) of the players.[/quote]

Precisely. Most were expecting a ''B'' squad so to speak, and on paper it did look quite strong. Well, the midfield and forward line anyway. If fans went along expecting a full first team then they were sadly deluded.Yes it would be better if we take this competition seriously, as we could do reasonably well, but we have a greater priority and i have no problem with Neil giving ''fringe'' players valuable game time.

Can only agree with the OP - this was an experienced set of players that failed to perform.   That they had not played competitively together before should be irrelevant as thats what the training ground is for and certainly does not account for the underwhelming application to the task.

This was a chance for all 11 players to push a case for a first team spot,  esp the front 6;   none shone and will at best be on the bench when we visit the seaside

When I saw the squad list last night I was damn well pleased that so many first team players had been left out. I don''t want us to go on a good cup run, as it can be a huge risk with the league.

I just want automatic promotion this season, not a good cup run.

In recent years Leeds, Birmingham and Wigan have all shown us what a good cup run can cause to smaller teams. It gives more chances for injuries, fatigue and suspensions.

It also provides a distraction for the players - Look at Leeds in our League One season for example: we had a poor cup run whilst they had a good one including a win at Old Trafford, but our league form rose and their''s dropped

I agree with the OP. I was very happy with the side Adams put out. Hooper and Howson are held by many to be our best striker and midfielder. Quality players who needed game time. He used the squad well and took the opportunity to rest players who needed it whilst giving game time to the immediate second string. All of whom could easily find themselves in the starting 11 on any given matchday. That they failed to perform was really down to them. Laffs missed a couple of decent chances in the first half. At risk of stating the obvious, I''m sure had they gone in it would have been a very different game all round. It''s not like he just went over there with the under 18s is it!

Hmm, if a few of them didn''t perform to standard then we can blame them but if it applies to all except 1... sounds like a management issue.

But I wouldn''t blame Neil personally. Maybe he changed too much at once, and will learn for the FA cup so we stay in one more round than this one (!).

Ultimately this is clearly a strategic decision which comes from the board, as it happens year in, year out - regardless of the players or managers involved.