Sign in to follow this  
pete

Hughton in positive talks

With Fulham talking positively about negative football no doubt. Suppose he has mentioned those clowns which form his backup team. He needs Bassong on board bet he hasn''t mentioned that.

It''s a shame that they got rid of Felix, it looks like they''re giving themselves a chance of staying up. I think January will be a big month for them, they need to buy some serious quality.

Regardless of the poor season he had with us, my guess is that CH will be a good choice for Fulham and that he will do a very decent job for them.

As for Bassong, if he too goes to Fulham, then they will have potentially signed the best CB in the Championship, playing for the manager he knows and respects and with some bad times put behind him.

I''ve never really understood the unpleasantness towards Hughton and his backroom staff.   He inherited a difficult situation, yes he struggled, but I would prefer to remember that it was the board who picked him knowing his philosophy,  the players who weren''t up to playing his style of football (which was never intended to be how it appeared), that there were fans who were negative about him from day one, the fact that the new players could not affect the situation, the fact that the more difficult it got, the more the pressure got to him and the players.   All in all it was a mixture of things that led to the problems - yes he was the manager and took the responsibility, but the nastiness that appears from time to time from some people about him is uncalled for imo, after all, we all knew that whoever followed Lambert was going to find it difficult, didn''t we??   

Whilst I agree with Lakey about the nastiness towards Hughton I do find his post very blinkered. Hughtons failure was nothing to do with having to follow in Lamberts footsteps or negative players it was his defensive style and his inability to change a game ala Neil Adams style. His refusal to use subs when it was blatantly obvious to everybody what he needed to do during games to rescue a result was so frustrating to all watching including the players who became negative towards him because of that.

Hughton was the author of his own downfall.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Regardless of the poor season he had with us, my guess is that CH will be a good choice for Fulham and that he will do a very decent job for them.

As for Bassong, if he too goes to Fulham, then they will have potentially signed the best CB in the Championship, playing for the manager he knows and respects and with some bad times put behind him.[/quote]

You''d rather have Bassong than Turner? Bassong is too many ifs and maybes. You know what you''ll get from Turner. We need consistency and reliability in the championship - am I describing Bassong?

Remember Bassong in his first season with us. Remember Turner in his first season with us. Who would you rather have had in that first season? - Bassong. However things have changed and for many reasons I''m sure Bassong is not likely to feature for us, especially after a poor season. One thing we do know is that if Turner is as much of a beast as he is in this league, then a fit and motivated Bassong will be the best CB in the league when playing at his best. We won''t see him play for us again though I suspect.

Actually, I think Bassong has always been pretty consistent. 95% great defender, 5% liability,

Turner had a difficult start, but has been extremely consistent since his first few games.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve never really understood the unpleasantness towards Hughton and his backroom staff.   He inherited a difficult situation, yes he struggled, but I would prefer to remember that it was the board who picked him knowing his philosophy,  the players who weren''t up to playing his style of football (which was never intended to be how it appeared), that there were fans who were negative about him from day one, the fact that the new players could not affect the situation, the fact that the more difficult it got, the more the pressure got to him and the players.   All in all it was a mixture of things that led to the problems - yes he was the manager and took the responsibility, but the nastiness that appears from time to time from some people about him is uncalled for imo, after all, we all knew that whoever followed Lambert was going to find it difficult, didn''t we??   

[/quote]I think you need to explain that.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve never really understood the unpleasantness towards Hughton and his backroom staff.   He inherited a difficult situation, yes he struggled, but I would prefer to remember that it was the board who picked him knowing his philosophy,  the players who weren''t up to playing his style of football (which was never intended to be how it appeared), that there were fans who were negative about him from day one, the fact that the new players could not affect the situation, the fact that the more difficult it got, the more the pressure got to him and the players.   All in all it was a mixture of things that led to the problems - yes he was the manager and took the responsibility, but the nastiness that appears from time to time from some people about him is uncalled for imo, after all, we all knew that whoever followed Lambert was going to find it difficult, didn''t we?? [/quote]I think you need to explain that.[/quote]

The good run in the first season pre-Christmas, had us in competitive mode and with a momentum that saw us doing pretty well under Hughton.    That we lost that momentum and appeared to struggle for the rest of the season was imo more due to the players having lost a bit of confidence, than Hughton''s tactics imo.  The style of play we had after that run appeared rigid and static - but it is clear to me that the intention was to keep a shape, yes, but the creative players were then to express themselves within that. But the key players in midfield never regained that confidence/momentum of pre-Christmas and we struggled for the rest of the season.   If they had been able to keep possession better, create chances, things would have looked a lot brighter, confidence would have improved etc etc.    

In the second season, the new players came into a situation where confidence was not that great, midfield was not radically changed - Fer didn''t really live up to his billing and of course there were injuries too.   So even with all the money spent, the midfield was not radically different to the previous season, with all it''s issues.   Add to that two new strikers who couldn''t get going, some rampant form of other teams and we all know the rest.   It just didn''t work out and although of course Hughton takes the responsibility, his ethos is not to be defensive/negative - ideally he goes for a balanced approach - its just that the worse things got, the more he tried to tighten things up and that just made things worse again.  It all looked a bit inevitable by the end.   

Hughton was never going to be an attacking manager, but the picture painted of a negative/cautious/defensive manager is not the whole story - he tried to create a balanced team and for many reasons it didn''t work out.   It didn''t work out as he and we had hoped, but the type of team we saw at Norwich under Hughton we would not see if he takes on another club in a different situation imo.  If he does take on another club, personally I hope he does well - he was on a hiding to nothing coming to Norwich after the messianic manager we were used to - much like Moyes was at MU - and I think he deserves credit for taking us on in those circumstances. 

" Hughton was never going to be an attacking manager, but the picture painted of a negative/cautious/defensive manager is not the whole story - he tried to create a balanced team and for many reasons it didn''t work out. "

OK I''ll buy that argument, but my impression of football under the man was formed right from the outset - the game against Ajax. Travelled half way around the world, introduced my kids to the mighty yellows - who then played in all black for some unfathomable reason - just to see Norwich defend the 18 yard box with 9 players after taking an early lead. No attacking allowed and the one or two players who did appear to try to impress the crowd were soon on their way out - notably Vaughan.

So total boredom and "whatever" are my memory.

I have always understood LDC''s views on Hughton and again found myself nodding my head in agreement.

You know there were certainly a few times when we did witness, although few will agree, some very decent performances under CH and where it really looked like he had just about cracked it....and then, it kept tumbling down again...often due to injuries and often as a result of players just not giving enough.....then he lost his way and as I think many will agree, should have gone a little earlier than he did or.......at the end of the season (fewer will agree on that).

I stopped reading LDC''s posts on this thread at - "I''ve never really understood the unpleasantness towards Hughton and his backroom staff. He inherited a difficult situation."

Really? He inherited a difficult situation?

[quote user="Shyster"]I stopped reading LDC''s posts on this thread at - "I''ve never really understood the unpleasantness towards Hughton and his backroom staff. He inherited a difficult situation."

Really? He inherited a difficult situation?[/quote]I think he meant "he left us in a difficult situation" Shys, heading for the trapdoor.He inherited a Premier League team with money to spend......

[quote user="Shyster"]I stopped reading LDC''s posts on this thread at - "I''ve never really understood the unpleasantness towards Hughton and his backroom staff. He inherited a difficult situation."

Really? He inherited a difficult situation?[/quote]

There is no easy answer as to who could have managed us after the three year run that Lambert had. Even a Lambert clone would have had difficulty in that second season and many have said that is one of the main reasons Lambert left at the end of the season he did - because he couldn''t see where we could go from there.  Its so glib to pretend that all the next manager had to do was come in and spend money and everything would be ok.  There isn''t one manager out there who would not have found taking on the job difficult.

I think Hughton would do reasonably well should he go to Fulham. Same with Bassong if he joined him - great player from which to build play from the back. I''d love to see Bassong playing in yellow again, but it seems Neil Adams is making an example of him - which may well be necessary.

A move back to London would probably suit Hughton well too...

Lakey from Dec 2012 the results under Hughton were abyssmal he would have gone sooner if City acted like Fulham, Cardiff or WBA. Your support of the clown is pitiful. I suggest you go back to that other place where you can post your negative comments to this place.

[quote user="lake district canary"]...who could have managed us after the three year run that Lambert had. Even a Lambert clone would have had difficulty in that second season...[/quote]No-one can deny he did well in his first season Lakey. If we had been relegated then, nobody would have been too surprised or disappointed. However, having survived AND having a transfer kitty the likes of which we''ve never known before, expectations were naturally raised.As the season wore on it became obvious we weren''t scoring enough goals and he failed to correct the problem even in the January transfer window. His dogged resistance or inability to change his style of play meant that naturally gifted attacking players were virtually playing with a ball and chain around their ankles. Time and time again we saw good balls put into the box with just a lone striker attacking the ball with four or five defenders around him. Nobody following in, no support, no chance. Once we went behind we knew it was all over. Chris Hughton just didn''t have an answer to the problems that he himself created.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]...who could have managed us after the three year run that Lambert had. Even a Lambert clone would have had difficulty in that second season...[/quote]No-one can deny he did well in his first season Lakey. If we had been relegated then, nobody would have been too surprised or disappointed. However, having survived AND having a transfer kitty the likes of which we''ve never known before, expectations were naturally raised.As the season wore on it became obvious we weren''t scoring enough goals and he failed to correct the problem even in the January transfer window. His dogged resistance or inability to change his style of play meant that naturally gifted attacking players were virtually playing with a ball and chain around their ankles. Time and time again we saw good balls put into the box with just a lone striker attacking the ball with four or five defenders around him. Nobody following in, no support, no chance. Once we went behind we knew it was all over. Chris Hughton just didn''t have an answer to the problems that he himself created.[/quote]Absolutely spot on Lapps, I''ve tried, but I can''t disagree with a single word of that.[;)]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]...who could have managed us after the three year run that Lambert had. Even a Lambert clone would have had difficulty in that second season...[/quote]No-one can deny he did well in his first season Lakey. If we had been relegated then, nobody would have been too surprised or disappointed. However, having survived AND having a transfer kitty the likes of which we''ve never known before, expectations were naturally raised.As the season wore on it became obvious we weren''t scoring enough goals and he failed to correct the problem even in the January transfer window. His dogged resistance or inability to change his style of play meant that naturally gifted attacking players were virtually playing with a ball and chain around their ankles. Time and time again we saw good balls put into the box with just a lone striker attacking the ball with four or five defenders around him. Nobody following in, no support, no chance. Once we went behind we knew it was all over. Chris Hughton just didn''t have an answer to the problems that he himself created.[/quote]Absolutely spot on Lapps, I''ve tried, but I can''t disagree with a single word of that.[;)][/quote]Well I can certainly disagree with the bit in red.  I would say - "time and time again we waited for a good ball into the box and when it finally arrived after much dithering, defences were back and organised"  Its all past history and I guess people will  never agree on the details, but out of the mire, we''ve been treated to some fantastic entertainment and goals so far this season.  Hughton will probably get a chance - probably at Fulham most likely - and a bit like past players, I hope he does ok, except against us of course.   Whenever we play a team with past players or managers involved, it always adds a little spice and a match against a Hughton team this season would certainly add something to that occasion.........

[quote user="lake district canary"]Well I can certainly disagree with the bit in red.  I would say - "time and time again we waited for a good ball into the box and when it finally arrived after much dithering, defences were back and organised"[/quote]And who coached them to play that way then?

[quote user="OldRobert"]Absolutely spot on Lapps, I''ve tried, but I can''t disagree with a single word of that.[;)][/quote]When OldRobert agrees with me it''s a real worry! [:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]...who could have managed us after the three year run that Lambert had. Even a Lambert clone would have had difficulty in that second season...[/quote]No-one can deny he did well in his first season Lakey. If we had been relegated then, nobody would have been too surprised or disappointed. However, having survived AND having a transfer kitty the likes of which we''ve never known before, expectations were naturally raised.As the season wore on it became obvious we weren''t scoring enough goals and he failed to correct the problem even in the January transfer window. His dogged resistance or inability to change his style of play meant that naturally gifted attacking players were virtually playing with a ball and chain around their ankles. Time and time again we saw good balls put into the box with just a lone striker attacking the ball with four or five defenders around him. Nobody following in, no support, no chance. Once we went behind we knew it was all over. Chris Hughton just didn''t have an answer to the problems that he himself created.[/quote]Absolutely spot on Lapps, I''ve tried, but I can''t disagree with a single word of that.[;)][/quote]Well I can certainly disagree with the bit in red.  I would say - "time and time again we waited for a good ball into the box and when it finally arrived after much dithering, defences were back and organised"  Its all past history and I guess people will  never agree on the details, but out of the mire, we''ve been treated to some fantastic entertainment and goals so far this season.  Hughton will probably get a chance - probably at Fulham most likely - and a bit like past players, I hope he does ok, except against us of course.   Whenever we play a team with past players or managers involved, it always adds a little spice and a match against a Hughton team this season would certainly add something to that occasion.........

[/quote]Regardless of who is correct between the two of you, both represent conspicuous tactical issues that could have been rectified were a more clear offensive gameplan installed in the team.Perhaps the coaching staff could have done a better job in drilling the players in these scenarios, or perhaps our scouting network could have found better players to execute our manager''s tactics, but what is inescapably clear is that consistent failures happened under Hughton''s supervision and these failures endured for almost a year and a half. As the main arbiter behind the club''s well funded on-field performances he is responsible for those appalling decisions (or lack of having made a decision when necessary) that led to our downfall.

On the contrary, history shows that he actually inherited a very good situation, one that a whole host of Managers would bust a gut to takeover.All the difficulties were entirely of his own making. And, when it was obvious to all and sundry that his dreadful tactics weren''t working he failed to make the changes required to rectify the situation, be that during an actual game or during the last 50 odd games of his time in charge.

If you are sending your team out each week to play for a draw then you will never win a game other than by accident, simples.

You really have to wonder if some people on here have ever played football other than on a computer given the limited grasp of reality. Playing a computer game does not mean you know better than a professional.