Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

A bit of recognition for Hooiveld

Just a quick observation on him from the weekend. That block he made when Blackpool were still in the game to block a goalbound shot was class. Hopefully people noticed as he seemed to get a bit of bad press recently from some on here saying he is slow etc. He may not be waltzing round full backs or smashing in goals, but his game is equally as important. He seems to have fitted in seemlessly. Another astute buy in my book.

Yep, fantastic block, but the big question was how the Blackpool forward even came to the chance in the first place.

That is were Hooifeld and Turner failed on that occasion. He should never have got as far as having the chance in the first place.

As for Hooifeld partnering Turner...they are almost unbeatable in the air, but both are rather slow, and it may cost us in games were we are expected to boss it with high pressure (lots of grass to cover for the centrebacks when playing a high line against quick forwards).

All in all a decent player, but not Premiership material, due to lack of pace.

It really was a very good block. The chance came from Turner being uncharacteristically outmuscled and Hooiveld reacted so quickly to nick the ball off Miller''s toe. Hooiveld may not be the quickest, but I think it''s a bit harsh to say he has a poor touch. He looks incredibly comfortable with the ball at his feet and for a guy who hasn''t played a great deal of competetive football over the last year or so, to come straight in and play as well as he has is excellent. I don''t necessarily think he isn''t a Premiership player, rather he and Turner are not a Premiership partnership. The lack of pace between them being the issue.

I think it might suit us having 2 big lads at the back. A lot of teams will be limited to hoofball and won''t stand a chance vs them 2. We know he is not a premiership level player but he''s doing an okay job at this level.