Sign in to follow this  
WesHoolahansDefendant

The game

In a nutshell:

I thought we were actually brilliant tonight, second half (obviously) particularly.

Can''t quite understand how John let that one squeeze in but many, many positives from tonight.

Wes was good, Redmond I thought was excellent.

Jury''s out on Grabban..

We were allowed the time and space, was a game made for Wes and we failed.

It was in viewing a great game and yes we can all say we were unlucky, it was a penalty and the dissalowed goal was rightly so by accounts on the radio......but we knew what Charlton were about and in truth we failed tonight and the previous 2 home games. Playing the same team each time (Whittaker the only change) just sends the wrong message, for me Josh deserved his chance to start. Who knows had he started we might have been two up.

If''s buts and maybe the truth is 2 poins from 9 at home is not really good enough is it?

We are 1 defeat from 7th so yep 20 points is great, but we can''t keep chasing games, we need to score and control games.

It''s been a great start but should have been 4 points better off IMO.

Still loving this league more than last seasons boring football though :-)

I can''t deny there are niggles but we have to take the positives. You''d expect the players to remain positive so why shouldn''t we.

I would change the starting 11 for Saturday. I think Howson/Ojdjidjdjaidjdiija perhaps to come in. I''m not entirely sure who I''d drop but I think we need a bit more bite in midfield.

I think Howson needs to be put back in the team. Tettey and Johnson are a good defensive screen that have performed well this season, but if teams are going to play so defensively at Carrow Road then we need a player that can improve our transition from defence to attack and make late runs into or onto the edge of the penalty area. Tettey could do this, but is quite cautious and prefers to stay deeper and pass the ball and Johnson doesn''t really have the mobility or technique to perform in that role. Howson has great mobility, stamina and is an excellent dribbler and finisher. He would be perfect in the ''Lampard role''; a midfielder who makes late runs into attacking positions to apply the finishing touch. Against teams that sit deep, it''s often those kind of moves that develop late that can lead to a breakthrough.

I''ve been thinking the same thing about the Tettey Johnson combo. Its fine if your front four are really doing the business, but should we really be playing 7 defensively minded players?

Howson would indeed bridge the gap perfectly, but then again, we do seem to be conceding a few at the moment, so maybe something needs to be done to strengthen the back four. We have a lot of CBs, especially if Bassong is coming back into the fold, and he is the only one with a turn of pace (not sure about Miquel?) Keeping possession better might just be the answer, which Howson would help with.

My summary from a different thread-

''Charlton came looking for a 0-0. Norwich, for all their effort, couldn''t quite find the final touch and eventually tricked Charlton into having a shot that accidentally went in.''

I think for Saturday something needs to change. Nothing major, I just think a bit of rotation might pep us back up a bit as we have been bordering on ponderous recently.

[quote user="WesHoolahansDefendant"] Jury''s out on Grabban..[/quote]

Not in my opinion.

He''s worth his place.

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]2 from 9 at home against very average Championship sides and a cup exit against a League 2 side . Not good enough by a long way .[/quote]

You must have been praying for this so you can start spouting your bile against Adams again. Last few weeks must have been hell for yiu

I don''t think Grabban really looks all that good. Yes he''s scored goals but in reality he''s been extremely wasteful in front of goal and his touch is often dreadful.

That''s not to say he''s not a threat as he has good pace and movement but his game definitely needs a lot of work, in my opinion.

[quote user="Clint"]I don''t think Grabban really looks all that good. Yes he''s scored goals but in reality he''s been extremely wasteful in front of goal and his touch is often dreadful. That''s not to say he''s not a threat as he has good pace and movement but his game definitely needs a lot of work, in my opinion.[/quote]

Who played better tonight, Grabban or Jerome?

Johnno and Tettey have served us well so far this season but If Howson is now fit he is better than either and should start.

The system we are playing also does not best suit Wes so a bit of squad rotation is perhaps due there too. Still well worth a place on the bench though. Josh is probably not ready yet to start. VOO has been playing left midfield, and although that may not be his best position perhaps worth a go. He has been with us for a month so surely must be close to being up to speed. We have paid a big fee for him, so lets use him.

I think NA has been adopting an if it aint broke dont fix it approach. Well tonight if not a bad performance is a set back. So time for him to show a bit of steel and rest some of his favoured players.

Not sure he got the timing of his substitutions right tonight. I think he thought the players on the pitch could win it so he stuck with them. Perhaps should have let that play out to the end. Possibly one late substitution to change it up, but three in quick succession with little time for the team to adjust did not make much sense to me.

What relevance is that GJP? Tonight is one game and I''m not comparing our strikers, just saying I think Grabban is far from the finished article, in my opinion.

But as you''ve asked, I''d say Jerome. Most people around me agreed with taking Grabban off. No one suggested Jerome should be subbed.

What did Jerome do better than Grabban? What made it clear to you and those around that he was the man to keep on?

Grabban? Jerome? Hoolahan? Johnson?

We all know why we''re really narked off about tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URlB0TRHzmc

Everything! Put it this way, from what you''ve seen from both in a Norwich shirt, who would you want a chance to fall too in the last 10 mins of a match? I''d say Jerome and I''m assuming Adams would as well, which is why he kept Jerome on.

[quote user="Clint"]Everything! Put it this way, from what you''ve seen from both in a Norwich shirt, who would you want a chance to fall too in the last 10 mins of a match? I''d say Jerome and I''m assuming Adams would as well, which is why he kept Jerome on.[/quote]

Hmm. Interesting.

Yes, I would agree. Jerome appears to be a better finisher and probably a tidier player. So I can see that maybe that could have been behind NA''s thinking to keep him on - if that chance was going to come. Though I''d still have rather have Grabban than Loza (that weakened us).

I thought it was quite clear that Grabban had played a better game of football and contributed more to the team than Jerome, who was on the periphery.

Imagine you''d never seen either of them before, take away this perception of Grabban being wasteful and Jerome being a better finisher and I very much doubt anyone would have seen Jerome play better than Grabban tonight.