Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Vincent Tan - A RsEhole

"£50m to buy players so that we don''t get relegated. We

spent more money than Hull and Palace and we got relegated.

"People will say we got relegated because I quarrelled with him, but I

didn''t.

"He didn''t talk to me for a few months. I arranged to meet up with him, it

was nothing personal, but he refused to meet me," Tan continued.

"Of course, all the pundits in Cardiff, they love him because he got Cardiff

up after 51 years.

"They only think the manager got us up. They never think about the owner

giving him money, that''s not important.

"Maybe they should meet a poor owner then they would know. Try to get

promoted without any money, then they would know."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29423869

What a horrible little sh[t he is. Delia becomes more god like by the season, just by NOT being a total tosspot like the vast majority of owners!

Doesn''t really say anything too bad there. In fact, he''s right. They wouldn''t have gone up without him and they should have stayed up with what they spent.

Are you serious splutcho?

Tells you all you need to know about what sort of owner he is and how little he knows about football and running a football club. It scares me to think fans can''t clock a nightmare owner when they see one. 

He thinks he can throw £50m of his personal fortune at a manager and that guarantees survival. Nothing of the other aspects of what making a club work and be successful involves. What did we spend the year we came up? Swansea, Southampton?

QPR probably spent more than £50m and went down. He knows FA and the idea that fans would welcome or accept an owner like that at Carrow Road after M&D have moved on is a pretty scary one.   

Seems like fair comments from Tan.

I''m not taking sides in this but he does raise some very valid points.

Bottom line is, every club will look at what they spend Vs league position. It''ll be as basic a metric as a prof. & loss account for a shop.

Large egos with lots of money are bad for any sport.   Tan is possibly one of the most over inflated bags of wind that has ever owned a football club.    Everything good has to be down to him, everything bad is down to others.   Cardiff fans must be in despair.  We have a relatively older fanbase and if we ever got an owner like that, changing colours etc etc, imo a large part of the older fans would just say ok, if that''s the way you want it, you can have it all to yourself and then leave supporting the club altogether.   Ripping the soul out of a club that has taken may years, sometimes over a hundred years,  to build, is the road to nowhere.    If Delia leaves at any stage, I hope it is for another real fan who will not take us away from our roots.   Too much tradition is wiped out in the pursuit of money - and money does not always take you where you want to go.  Ask Cardiff fans.

The comments from Tan on Mackay that really were indefensible came in February, when he said Mackay had been lucky to get promotion, and Dave Jones had been the better manager. Jones did OK and got Cardiff to the play-offs, but he never got them promoted. Mackay won the league by eight points. Whatever was going on behind the scenes - much of which was plainly Tan''s own stupid fault - it was absurdly ungracious to try to downplay Mackay''s role like that.

...and as LDC says, he always wants to be front and centre at Cardiff, ahead of the manager, and that is just a recipe for disaster. And yet he''s now talking about selling Cardiff and about buying other clubs in Europe! Way to show your commitment to Cardiff, after coming in and changing the club colours - i''d be camping out on the pitch in protest day and night by now if someone came in to Norwich and did what he has done.

Yet some fans seem to just shrug their shoulders and think he hasn''t done much wrong. Ask what he has done right. He thew enough money at the club to make the step from play offs to promotion, giving them one (bad) season in the premier league. Apart from that he has made the club a laughing stock, messed around staff and managers, appointed work experience kids to scout player, interferred with transfer policy, ditched the club colours, mouthed off in the media constantly, and is now talking about selling up and bringing his particular brand of ownership to another poor club in Europe. I''m sure most fans would be delighted for him to sell up but that isn''t great to have a club being passed from owner to owner without ever knowing who you''re going to get next. It''s a mess and one i fear we could find ourselves in one day. At least we can enjoy the here and now at NCFC, knowing that despite our own season of turmoil and relegation, we''ve (McNally mostly) has managed to steady the ship impressively, in part because of sensible decisions in previous years. Long may that continue. I just hope it''s very long!

[quote user="a1canary"]Delia becomes more god like by the season, just by NOT being a total tosspot like the vast majority of owners![/quote]She may be likeable, but you seem to forget that she consigned Norwich City to the wilderness for over ten years with one hare-brained managerial appointment after another. She harmed the football development, failed to modernise and generally failed to keep up with the competition. God she isn''t.

I''m not talking about the past. Mistakes were made but show me a club where mistakes haven''t been made.

What is much more important is that these are learnt from and not repeated. Anyone who STILL wants to punish them for the Grant/Reader/Gun era is cutting off their nose to spite their face and is also failing to recognise the value of lessons learnt.

[quote user="92 vintage"][quote user="a1canary"]Delia becomes more god like by the season, just by NOT being a total tosspot like the vast majority of owners![/quote]She may be likeable, but you seem to forget that she consigned Norwich City to the wilderness for over ten years with one hare-brained managerial appointment after another. She harmed the football development, failed to modernise and generally failed to keep up with the competition. God she isn''t.[/quote]

Of course you are ignoring the financial plight that she had to deal with. Having gone up to the premiership on a shoestring in 2003, the return to the championship was easily  the hardest time financially, so how you expected her to achieve more success than we did with precious little money, I don''t know.  Her detractors only ever present half the story.   She may not be perfect, but she has given the club stability, helped ensure it''s existence with her money and presently is in charge of a vibrant and financially sound football club.  Likeable and effective.  There are always things that can be done better but football is not an exact science.  Overall with promotions and seasons in the top flight, we have achieved one heck of a lot as a club where others have continued with their years of struggle.  So all in all I think she is doing pretty well compared to most owners.

My view is that Cardiff, Tan & Mackay deserve each other;   all egotistical and unpleasant,  and  refusing to accept that none of them could have done the job without the other. 

As far as Tans comments are concerned I agree they probably did get promoted because of his investment (but need mackay to make it real) but to assume spending £50m would guarantee safety is proposterous.   Mind you if the supposed idiot bully manager and his posse contrive to overspend the designated budget by £10m any owners (fans) expectations are likely to be raised.

Simply unsavoury individuals all round.