Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Charlton 2nd half match thread

We played ok, but sometimes we don''t go for the obvious pass or get the ball out of feet quick enough. I think its time Hooly was dropped as he seemed so ineffective today to me. We were a little toothless upfront too, and someone mentioned Grabbs not holding down a place in a Prem team, and I think thats true. He did all the hard work in the second half on a chance, cut inside, and could''t apply the necessary bend/finish to put it in the far corner and just shot horribly wide. We need a Prem standard striker in the team to stay top. Hope Hooper pulls his thumb out of his backside, and improves upon last nights showing.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]Fair enough but not in the last 30 minutes.You are right that we played an expansive game in the first half but not so in the second.

I will not slate our players as they have done superbly thus far. Tonight though we f''ed up against a park the bus side.[/quote]
We shouldn''t of lost, that much is obvious. I just think that luck wasn''t on our side tonight. Norwich created some good chances and had a disallowed goal and a shot cleared off the line. Norwich didn''t struggle to break this side down, they did that often enough, but when Norwich did get past the defensive screen you could question whether they were clinical enough.
No one will be more disappointed/angry then Adams and the team. They''ll be furious that they didn''t get anything out of this game. Sometimes you just have to accept that bad results happen and try and move on to the next game.

Think if I remember right they won last time with a deflection. But you have to say they set up to defend and we got hit with a sucker punch. Even so we should''ve been able to break them down.

I know Wes played quite well but this was crying out for another winger. Murphy should''ve been on earlier!!

[quote user="zippy23255"]Think if I remember right they won last time with a deflection. But you have to say they set up to defend and we got hit with a sucker punch. Even so we should''ve been able to break them down.

I know Wes played quite well but this was crying out for another winger. Murphy should''ve been on earlier!![/quote]
Based on what logic? Wes was having a good game and was heavily involved in the few times Norwich were able to get behind the defence (because of how deep they were playing, we had to play in front of them alot), and what exactly did Murphy do when he came on? He didn''t beat his man, he was too slow on the ball and the few times he attempted a cross they were horrible. I don''t necessarily blame him, it''s alot to ask of someone with such little experience to come on and break down a side at such a crucial time, but he didn''t prove himself any more worthwhile than Wes.

A promising performance in a lot of ways, but there are naturally rising concerns about our home form. The problem seems to have been breaking down these well drilled teams - there seems to be a formula, among lower to medium able Championship sides (in terms of talent), that''s effective at getting results at Carrow Road.Asking Adams to figure out a counter formula seems demanding when oneself can''t even think of a clear one (since i find i always have a strong opinion in situations such as these, when the hill we have to climb seems that much steeper). My main doubts stem from the lack of action that came with Adams'' predecessor, so i''m more accustomed to a (lack of) expectation when the going gets tough, but then again Adams has seemed proactive and clued up from day one.

bit of tactical naivety tonight from adamswas clear after 30 minutes what charltons plan was and we played right into itsubs were too late and desperate

hoolahan was better but if we are going to play two strikers we need two outright wingers to feed them

nevermind, we arent playing man city next time out.........

[quote user="lincoln canary"] We''ve definitely been hyped up to be much better than we actually are. This result has been coming.[/quote]
I have to agree with the result comment. Too many games we have shown to either fall behind and have to scrape our way back, or not take our chances. I feel after Brum, Cardiff and a few others this season this loss has been on the cards for a few weeks.

"Phillip J Fry""the bristol nest"Fair enough but not in the last 30 minutes.You are right that we played an expansive game in the first half but not so in the second.

I will not slate our players as they have done superbly thus far. Tonight though we f''ed up against a park the bus side.We shouldn''t of lost, that much is obvious. I just think that luck wasn''t on our side tonight. Norwich created some good chances and had a disallowed goal and a shot cleared off the line. Norwich didn''t struggle to break this side down, they did that often enough, but when Norwich did get past the defensive screen you could question whether they were clinical enough.No one will be more disappointed/angry then Adams and the team. They''ll be furious that they didn''t get anything out of this game. Sometimes you just have to accept that bad results happen and try and move on to the next game.

Fair point.We played well but we short in attacking quality for some reason. Let''s move onto the Rotherham game.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]So, do we persist with the 4-4-2 against Rotherham or go back to a 4-2-3-1? I''d definitely bring Howson into the first team regardless.[/quote]442drop hoolahan, play murphy, its rotheram not arsenali actually dont think it will be long before we see redmond switched to the left wing again (not that i agree) grabban put out right, and hooper and jerome as the strikers

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]So, do we persist with the 4-4-2 against Rotherham or go back to a 4-2-3-1? I''d definitely bring Howson into the first team regardless.[/quote]442drop hoolahan, play murphy, its rotheram not arsenali actually dont think it will be long before we see redmond switched to the left wing again (not that i agree) grabban put out right, and hooper and jerome as the strikers

[/quote]
TBH, I''d prefer to switch Redmond over to the left and play E.Bennett on the right if we were to play two out-and-out wingers. Murphy''s not ready to start in this league, that''s obvious.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]We''ve definitely been hyped up to be much better than we actually are. [/quote]But we''re still top of the League so we ain''t doing too bad

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]So, do we persist with the 4-4-2 against Rotherham or go back to a 4-2-3-1? I''d definitely bring Howson into the first team regardless.[/quote]442drop hoolahan, play murphy, its rotheram not arsenali actually dont think it will be long before we see redmond switched to the left wing again (not that i agree) grabban put out right, and hooper and jerome as the strikers

[/quote]
TBH, I''d prefer to switch Redmond over to the left and play E.Bennett on the right if we were to play two out-and-out wingers. Murphy''s not ready to start in this league, that''s obvious.
[/quote]

why do peopke still go on about E Bennett, he''s not a patch on Murphy and fourth choice behind Laff so tells you all you need to know.

Sad when the Pinkun forum''s football intelligentsia can''t seem to get their heads around the fact that we were plain crap. Formations and tactics get quoted in order to make excuses for a shoddy Tuesday night defeat against a smaller club that was recently competing in League 1. We''re not nearly as good as some of the stream-watching self-professed  soccer boffins would have us believe.

[quote user="Indy"]why do peopke still go on about E Bennett, he''s not a patch on Murphy and fourth choice behind Laff so tells you all you need to know.[/quote]
On what logic do you assume that Murphy is vastly superior to E.Bennett? Please explain, I really want to know.

[quote user="92 vintage"]Sad when the Pinkun forum''s football intelligentsia can''t seem to get their heads around the fact that we were plain crap. Formations and tactics get quoted in order to make excuses for a shoddy Tuesday night defeat against a smaller club that was recently competing in League 1. We''re not nearly as good as some of the stream-watching self-professed  soccer boffins would have us believe.[/quote]
Hey Waveny!

Goals, pace, potential and tallent.....neex I say more?

OK with every game & minute Murphy gets he will get better with experience.....now your turn on a very overrated player loved by the fans for little return.

Yep bad luck on injuries but never really had the impact to our team. One season of half decent performances IMO.

Please expand on Bennett.

[quote user="Indy"]Goals, pace, potential and tallent.....neex I say more?

OK with every game & minute Murphy gets he will get better with experience.....now your turn on a very overrated player loved by the fans for little return.

Yep bad luck on injuries but never really had the impact to our team. One season of half decent performances IMO.

Please expand on Bennett.[/quote]
More than Murphy''s ever shown...
Look, Murphy is a player with fantastic potential but he is clearly not ready to start in this league yet. His decision making is far too slow and often he makes the wrong choice anyway. Murphy''s biggest asset at the minute us his raw pace, which is useful either very early on or quite late in a game. To suggest that Murphy should start based on one league goal against the worst side in the division and because he is fast is quite ludicrous. 

Utter tosh.....at 19 the same age as redmond was last year and ready as proven.....raw maybe but proven goal scorer in league and cup and a game changer, again proven this year.

Bennett this year has shiwn he lacks the pace & brain for this level. Should be out on loan to regain fitness and match sharpness.

[quote user="Indy"]Utter tosh.....at 19 the same age as redmond was last year and ready as proven.....raw maybe but proven goal scorer in league and cup and a game changer, again proven this year.

Bennett this year has shiwn he lacks the pace & brain for this level. Should be out on loan to regain fitness and match sharpness.
[/quote]
You''ve decided this on the 1 league came he started? You should be a scout if you can make a decision that quickly.
And Murphy is anything but proven. He scored 3 goals against a league 1 side and the worst team in the division. Murphy has amazing upside and an unbelievable amount of raw talent, but there''s a reason he''s been restricted to the bench so far. He''s not ready to start games yet, but he can have an impact of the bench in the right situations and the more appearnaces he makes from the bench, and the more time he spends with the first team, the more he will learn and develop. 
Josh Murphy will be a regular starter by the end of the season, I''m fairly confident about that. But he''s not there yet and it''s unfair to, essentially, set him up to fail.

You''re not making any case for Bennett.....whats he done to warrant a place ahead of Murphy....?

And yes Bennett needs to be playing but it won''t be here so a loan move for a month or two would only benefit him. Hes not anywhere near good enough on his minimal time in a city shirt this season.

Murphy should be managrd and start some games, starting this week along with changing it up in other areas too....we have a squad use it, the current starting 11 has not got the points over the past three games.

We will see what Adams does.

[quote user="Indy"]You''re not making any case for Bennett.....whats he done to warrant a place ahead of Murphy....?

And yes Bennett needs to be playing but it won''t be here so a loan move for a month or two would only benefit him. Hes not anywhere near good enough on his minimal time in a city shirt this season.

Murphy should be managrd and start some games, starting this week along with changing it up in other areas too....we have a squad use it, the current starting 11 has not got the points over the past three games.

We will see what Adams does.[/quote]
In his 2 premier league seasons he was the clubs 3rd and 2nd highest assister and would''ve achieved something similar if he hadn''t got injured in his 3rd year.

And this year? Why do ypu think Laff & Graban have bern played in his role ahead of Bennett?

Even strikers are ahead of Bennett.

We will see what happens but Murphy is way ahead of Bennett at the mo and will only get better with experience, just look at the bench over the past 10 games and ak Adams ahy.