Sign in to follow this  
funny old game

Marvellous

Nothing NCFC related, just wondered if anyone watched the BBC 2 drama Thursday evening about Stoke city''s famous kit man Neil Baldwin, really moving story & a great watch, have to say how well Lou Macari comes over, if you get the chance on catch up or iplayer treat yourself, just proves you should never judge a book by its cover

Really enjoyed watching this and would recommend it to all.Best quote I have heard in years, genuinely think that Neil has life sussed.“I’ve always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.”

I went to Keele uni and remember Neil as part of the furniture. He was also there it seemed and mainly in the sports centre. I trained with his football team sometimes and also played against them once in a proper match. I remember him shouting out a few expletives to encourage the players in the true managerial fashion. He had a pretty good following and they were celebrating his 45th year there or something and everyone turned up for him. He really was a character

Have just watched this programme on catch-up.A must watch for everyone, not just football fans.Did anyone just hear the Stoke fans singing ''There''s only one Neil Baldwin''at tonights game, ''cos I''m sure I did.A truly MARVELLOUS  story about a great guy.Not ashamed to say that at the end there was a tear in my eye.

Les said........"Did anyone just hear the Stoke fans singing ''There''s only one Neil Baldwin''

at tonights game, ''cos I''m sure I did"

The real life Neil Baldwin was paraded in front of the fans just before the start of tonights game. Marvellous!

The programme was really good I thought and I found it really moving. It showed that no matter what your mental / physical capabilities are, there''s always a place in this world for you. I have to say, when his mother passed away, I found it incredibly moving how he dealt with this sad part of his life. "I''m doing well aren''t I?".

It''s a must watch for anyone I''d say!

Something we''ve no doubt all heard is; ''Start with the end in mind.'' a quote by Stephen Covey. Why does Mr Covey suggest this, because it works, 100% of the time, no, because we don''t control the world, but it makes suuccess far more likely. Neil Baldwin started with the end in mind as was made apparent by his words;

"When did they offer you that?" "Tomorow"

"I always wanted to be happy, so decided to be."

It appears our own Neil and the lads have a similar mantra to Neil Baldwin, "I always wanted to win games, so I decided to."

Setting yourself goals makes success so much more achievable. OK, one of Neil Baldwin''s goals, which he fervently believed he could achieve, was to be the Manager of Stoke City, did he become Manager, no, but he forged a lifelong relationship with the club, played in a game and managed his own team, with Gary Lineker and Kevin Keegan amongst its Presidents.

Would all that have happened if he had not set goals he fervently believed in, I very much doubt it, so as Stephen Covey says, Start with the end in mind. It worked for Neil Baldwin, so it will work for all of us, the problem is so many of us find reasons not to!

[quote user="York Canary"]I went to Keele uni and remember Neil as part of the furniture. He was also there it seemed and mainly in the sports centre. I trained with his football team sometimes and also played against them once in a proper match. I remember him shouting out a few expletives to encourage the players in the true managerial fashion. He had a pretty good following and they were celebrating his 45th year there or something and everyone turned up for him. He really was a character[/quote]

*always there it seemed

[quote user="funny old game"]Nothing NCFC related, just wondered if anyone watched the BBC 2 drama Thursday evening about Stoke city''s famous kit man Neil Baldwin, really moving story & a great watch, have to say how well Lou Macari comes over, if you get the chance on catch up or iplayer treat yourself, just proves you should never judge a book by its cover[/quote]Actually FOG, I can make this a little bit Norwich related.The writer, Peter Bowker was taught by my dad at the UEA. He''s a big Man Utd fan, so happily accompanied me and my old man to Elland Rd when we beat Leeds 4-0 and Jerry Goss scored this goal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6IThe director, Julian Farino, by coincidence is also a big mate of my dads. He''s a massive Palace fan and we met him at the pub before the game at Selhurst Park last year. He''s been to Carrow Road a few times with us too.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"][quote user="funny old game"]Nothing NCFC related, just wondered if anyone watched the BBC 2 drama Thursday evening about Stoke city''s famous kit man Neil Baldwin, really moving story & a great watch, have to say how well Lou Macari comes over, if you get the chance on catch up or iplayer treat yourself, just proves you should never judge a book by its cover[/quote]Actually FOG, I can make this a little bit Norwich related.The writer, Peter Bowker was taught by my dad at the UEA. He''s a big Man Utd fan, so happily accompanied me and my old man to Elland Rd when we beat Leeds 4-0 and Jerry Goss scored this goal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6IThe director, Julian Farino, by coincidence is also a big mate of my dads. He''s a massive Palace fan and we met him at the pub before the game at Selhurst Park last year. He''s been to Carrow Road a few times with us too.

[/quote]

Nothing NCFC related, just wondered if anyone watched the BBC 2 drama Thursday evening about Stoke city''s famous kit man Neil Baldwin, really moving story & a great watch, have to say how well Lou Macari comes over, if you get the chance on catch up or iplayer treat yourself, just proves you should never judge a book by its cover

Actually FOG, I can make this a little bit Norwich related.

The writer, Peter Bowker was taught by my dad at the UEA. He''s a big Man Utd fan, so happily accompanied me and my old man to Elland Rd when we beat Leeds 4-0 and Jerry Goss scored this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6I

The director, Julian Farino, by coincidence is also a big mate of my dads. He''s a massive Palace fan and we met him at the pub before the game at Selhurst Park last year. He''s been to Carrow Road a few times with us too.

Small world!! Excellent piece of work

[quote user="Splendid Rush"][quote user="funny old game"]Nothing NCFC related, just wondered if anyone watched the BBC 2 drama Thursday evening about Stoke city''s famous kit man Neil Baldwin, really moving story & a great watch, have to say how well Lou Macari comes over, if you get the chance on catch up or iplayer treat yourself, just proves you should never judge a book by its cover[/quote]Actually FOG, I can make this a little bit Norwich related.The writer, Peter Bowker was taught by my dad at the UEA. He''s a big Man Utd fan, so happily accompanied me and my old man to Elland Rd when we beat Leeds 4-0 and Jerry Goss scored this goal:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6IThe director, Julian Farino, by coincidence is also a big mate of my dads. He''s a massive Palace fan and we met him at the pub before the game at Selhurst Park last year. He''s been to Carrow Road a few times with us too.

[/quote]

Actually FOG, I can make this a little bit Norwich related.

The writer, Peter Bowker was taught by my dad at the UEA. He''s a big Man Utd fan, so happily accompanied me and my old man to Elland Rd when we beat Leeds 4-0 and Jerry Goss scored this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6I

The director, Julian Farino, by coincidence is also a big mate of my dads. He''s a massive Palace fan and we met him at the pub before the game at Selhurst Park last year. He''s been to Carrow Road a few times with us too.

Small world!! Excellent piece of work