Sign in to follow this  
coops

Right back- a genuine concern

Right back is going to be a serious problem this season as it was last season with Whittaker and Martin both not good enough. Neither has any pace which is what is required from a right or left back. We need to look at this via a loan or give Elliot Bennett a go there as at least he is quick and can get back in position. It is so laboured down that side and with the left side looking imbalanced due to wes cutting in and trying to affect games from the middle of the park I think changes need to be made.

Thought Whittaker played well last night. Martin is plenty good enough at full back too.What I do find strange is this sudden craving for Elliot Bennett to be selected for virtually every position on the pitch when in reality he has shown very little when he has been given the opportunity.

I was more bothered about left back last night, Olsson had a very ordinary game and either failed to control the ball or just got in the way.

Does concerrn me that we now have a number of central defenders yet still choose to play Martin there, doesn''t say much for those that we brought in. Can only assume he out him in there to combat the pace of Vetokele or whatever his name was?!

Thought Whittaker played quite well last night and generally I don''t think many clubs in this league will have two right-backs as good as Whittaker and Martin to choose from.

Bennett''s out so Martin has to play at CB as Hooiveld is too slow against a counter attacking side like charlton (there''s a reason they''ve got so many home draws), Cuellar hasn''t played well in the reserve games that he''s played and Miquel is backup.

One of the problems with four fullbacks, all four, is that they are good in attack, but not quite so good in defending, and all except Olsson lose out to pace, and consequently tend to stand off. With Turner and Hooiveld also slow, we are vulnerable when attackers run at our defence, and this has not been missed by other managers.

I suspect that little can be done now, although I remember reading that Iggy can play at (left?) back, and Bennett (E) would not let us down at RB. Certainly, if we gain promotion we would have to invest in one or two right backs.

Whittaker is nowhere near good enough. He''s decent going forward, but can''t afford to have players like him in our back 4 if we''re going to play so attacking minded.

our defence is a strange one - I would agree that neither right back is looking great at the moment - both look good attacking  (martins assist count is impressive and better than whits)  but slow and positionally poor too often when defending.    

I do not think E Bennett is an option here and we should be looking to sign a RB - especially if promotion continues to look a strong possibility.

As others have commented Olsson is certainly not the player from last season (just a form dip yearning for the prem?) and at the mo would prefer to start Garrido - at least both are more than capable at this level.

Yet at CB we have signed  a plethora of options and still none can force their way into the starting line up ahead of a poorly performing right back - that simply does not feel right.   Hooiveld was a littkle unlucky to be dropped  - based on blackpool he was the better of the two cbs and turner has always been better when paired with Martin - thats starts to form an order of capability....   Its not as if we have brought martin back in for his pace is it??..

Perhaps this is Adams second big challenge - improve the functioning of the back four - and perhaps the challenge is realising that perhaps it may not include Martin?  (His first challenge is getting the wes option right,   chosing between starting wes centrally or with two strikers - you cant have both) 

[quote user="Salopian"]One of the problems with four fullbacks, all four, is that they are good in attack, but not quite so good in defending, and all except Olsson lose out to pace, and consequently tend to stand off. With Turner and Hooiveld also slow, we are vulnerable when attackers run at our defence, and this has not been missed by other managers. I suspect that little can be done now, although I remember reading that Iggy can play at (left?) back, and Bennett (E) would not let us down at RB. Certainly, if we gain promotion we would have to invest in one or two right backs.[/quote]

I keep hearing this from Norwich fans all season, our defence is slow and loses out to pace.

I can recall only 2  incidents this season that our defence has been caught out by pace and that was Wolves away when Olsson (our most over rated player) got done for pace and subsequently got sent off and against Bournemouth at home when Redmond didn''t track his runner and the guy ran through and played the ball across our defence.

Whittaker once again is getting unfair criticism despite in my opinion being one of our best players yesterday and was far far more effective than Olsson.

Considering how attack minded we are it''s clear with our goals against column that our defence is very good. Teams that have conceeded less than us defend in big numbers, we don''t.

Olsson is getting unfairly criticised imo.    In the system we have adopted in recent games, he is left isolated, with a huge gap in front of him when Wes goes wandering, unless Redmond comes over to the left.   He cannot risk getting forward under those circumstances and is restricted as a result.    If we play with a left sided player who stays on the left as Lafferty did earlier in the season, the team is better balanced.   An on form Lafferty may be the answer, with Jerome or Grabban making way.   4231 looked exceptional earlier in the season and since we have gone more like a 442, it has posed questions on overall team play.   Olsson is a good player and when he is properly supported on the left he will show it.   Whittaker too is a good player when on form, well up to the demands of the division imo.   His confidence looks to be improving which is good.    Martin seems to get flack just for being on the pitch from some people.   Some say he isn''t up to being a RB, others say he isn''t up to being a CB.  B*ll*x to all that.  He is perhaps one of the most versatile players we have at the club and could play virtually anywhere on the pitch imo.  Turner is doing well and doesn''t seem to attract much criticism - because he is good at what he does. The rest of the defenders at the club are there to compete with those in the team atm - and they will get their chances.   We''re top for a reason - we don''t let many goals in and we score plenty.    Last night was one of those that got away, perhaps lessons can be learned from it in terms of personel and/or formation, but defensively?   On the whole ok - can improve of course, but no real issues imo.