Sign in to follow this  
Yarmy Charlie

Grabban, Hooper, Lafferty or Loza...

Who would you play up front with Jerome on Saturday and who would be on the bench?

It''s a tough choice! I can''t help but feel that if some of Grabban''s chances fell to someone else they would''ve buried them. I know he''s scored a few but some of them have either been second attempts or a lucky deflection, whereas some clear chances have either hit the corner flag or been miss-hit. (No he''s not the latest scapegoat before someone asks). But he does work hard so I think he will probably start again.

Hooper didn''t look great in the U21s the other night and didn''t threaten against Shrewsbury the other week, but could that be a confidence thing? If he''s thinking he''s our 5th choice striker it must be disheartening. I think he probably would''ve hit the target more than Grabban with his chances but would he have put the graft in to create those chances?

It''s a hard choice and I''d even be tempted to start with Loza just to mix things up a bit, but I think it will be either him or Hooper on the bench Saturday.

Grabban. Played quite well and better than Jerome did last night. Jerome did little but waste the best chance that came to either of them.

Hard to see Hooper being fit enough to start a game. Not sure what the deal is with Lafferty but guessing he''s not going to be in a position to start.

Loza isn''t good enough.

This is beginning to drive me up the wall with people thinking you cannot change a winning team. Every top team that has a squad rotates and even if the winning teams starting Lin up is broken up usually a substitution brings on that player.

I am happy to see grabban slip back, lafferty maybe does deserve chance but I want a more direct threat.

I would like to see us play with the one big forward with Redmond and Murphy closer to he forward line and be able to drift out wide.

Howson, tettey and Johnson in that midfield.

I just think grabban is showing what the Bournemouth fans noted. He will score goals all season but he will also struggle when confidence is low.

I ginkel we need to freshen it up. To be honest, just need homages... Somehow hoolahan came to the party but he will need to score goals. Quite simply he needs to score goals, for someone so creative he rarely carves open an opportunity for himself.

The key is that we have a squad that should be played throughout the season, VOO, o''neil, hooper, Howson will all have some important times in our squad with the experience and quality they have.

But I do think grabban can take a seat on the bench and be that sub who can come on and score from hat position it may make him a little fresher after a long start to the season.

Personally, although I think Grabban is doing fine I think a bit of rotation might refresh things a bit- aside from his deflected goal against Blackpool he hasn''t been hitting the target enough with good chances recently.

If it was me, I would take Grabban out and put E.Benno in with Jerome up front on his own. The three of Bennett, Hoolahan and Redmond can then essentially interchange the 3 attacking-mid berths with the option of Murphy later or switching to 2 up front.

I am not sure it''s the strikers that need freshening up although I beg to differ about Loza. NA obviously thinks he''s ready.

Grabban was scoring when played as the main striker and has struggled since Jerome has come in. Hooper does not seem ready yet.

I am not sure about starting with two wingers as this may make us predictable although it''s Rotherham not Chelsea on Saturday.

Lafferty needs to avoid the rash challenges to be trusted with a start Imo. He has forced an unplanned substitution twice already.

So

Ruddy

Martin Hooiveld Turner Olsson

Redmond Voo Tetty Howson Murphy

Jerome

Re Hooper I don''t think it''s too indicative that he didn''t do much in the cup and in an even more inconsequential development game. He needs to get up to fitness and i also get the feeling he''s maybe a bit like Holt i.e. needs to be in a real blood and thunder competitive game before he reaches his level. Make no mistake, he is a goal scorer and a fully fit Hooper, for me, would have a better conversion rate than Grabban. Grabban has done good, i like his attitude and application, but Hooper is going to be the more clinical. I also think Grabban and Jerome as a partnership are both a bit selfish - which is generally a good thing in a striker - but as a result are like two individuals playing together. You don''t see them looking for each other much or working together much. I can see Jerome and Hooper being a better partnership potentially.

[quote user="GJP"]

Loza isn''t good enough.

[/quote]

I''d edit that to say "Loza isn''t quite ready" but even then i''d obviously yield to NA''s view on that. It seems more likely that he''ll go on loan which would indicate that he''s not ready for a regular place on the bench for 1st team games just yet. Maybe.

But just saying "he''s not good enough", based on zero evidence by way of Championship games is silly. Is Murphy good enough? When does a young academy player like that become good enough? Murphy was in the exact position Loza was 6 months or so back. Was he good enough then? You have to blend them in to first team action carefully and gradually and then you start to find out if they''re going to be good enough. I would say we still don''t know with Murphy but he has certainly earnt the right to continue being given game time to show if he is.

It never makes you popular to write-off the prospects of a youngster but I just don''t see Loza doing it. Maybe in the lower leagues but not in the Championship and certainly not for a club wanting to be promoted.

Chris Martin for example, I could see it, I liked him from when I saw him playing before he got in the first team picture.

But from what I''ve seen of Loza, even only in brief glimpses, I''ve not seen anything to make me think he''s an exciting prospect. Not someone I feel is going to be a regular in a good Norwich team.

Josh could do it though, he''s definitely got a shot.

Well, to be fair, we''re invested in Loza and we have to give the guy a chance to find out if he can make the step up. And he doesn''t cost much in wages!

Somewhat different scenario with Becchio and RvW - decision already taken that it was best for them to move on. The thing about Loza is that we don''t know yet, so yes, i agree, it is a bit unfair to write them off before they''ve had a full opportunity in the first team! But if GJP already thinks he knows and is happy to make that call, that''s up to him i guess! I certainly haven''t seen enough of him to judge just yet.  

Personally I would revert to 4231 and leave jerome on his own.   This would move Wes back to his most influential middle,   its then a choice between Lafferty and Grabban on the left - if fit my preference is lafferty as he links up and works back better but would be happy with either.

Beyond that I do not count Lafferty as a striker so he really is not an option for me and there are doubts about hoopers fitness - if he is ready then he probably just squeezes onto the subs bench ahead of Loza.

Overall Jerome may have been quiet yest I wold still prefer him to start ahead of Grabban - who is usually poorer in the build up and has been more wasteful with his finishing.  

Ruddy

Martin Turner Hooiveld Olsson

Tettey Odjida

Redmond Howson Lafferty

Jerome

Rudd Whittaker Johnson Hoolahan Murphy Grabban Hooper

[quote user="a1canary"]

Well, to be fair, we''re invested in Loza and we have to give the guy a chance to find out if he can make the step up. And he doesn''t cost much in wages!

Somewhat different scenario with Becchio and RvW - decision already taken that it was best for them to move on. The thing about Loza is that we don''t know yet, so yes, i agree, it is a bit unfair to write them off before they''ve had a full opportunity in the first team! But if GJP already thinks he knows and is happy to make that call, that''s up to him i guess! I certainly haven''t seen enough of him to judge just yet.  

[/quote]

I am happy to make that call. And I will stand by it.

If in years to come Loza is doing this business for Norwich (or another club) at this level or in the Prem then please feel free to remind me of all this. I''ll hold my hands up to it.

But yeah, in my opinion, he''s nothing much to get excited about.