Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

We have history with this ref - Mick Russell

Apr 2009 at home when a David mooney ''equaliser'' was astonishingly ruled out. The players were even celebrating near the snake pit. Clearly remember it, as it was massive at the time... Grrrr!!

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_0_sheffield_wednesday_1_1_644719

Absolutely shocking display from the referee. As bad a display since Eddie Ilderton against Tranmere in the League 1 season. Not only that, but he was smiling, winked and laughed at the Barclay. I''ve never seen such goading from a referee and I don''t know how he gets away with it.

The fact he has turned up periodically at Carrow Road since the mid 2000s at Football League level proves he is a referee who is not destined to move on to the Premier League. The equivalent of the journeyman footballer & a not very competent one.

I think the club should complain to the FA as that was as a blatant case of match fixing as we will ever see from a ref and his assistants, go the whole hog tell the police as well,

[quote user="pete_norw"]I think the club should complain to the FA as that was as a blatant case of match fixing as we will ever see from a ref and his assistants, go the whole hog tell the police as well,[/quote]Libel alert!

[quote user="pete_norw"]I think the club should complain to the FA as that was as a blatant case of match fixing as we will ever see from a ref and his assistants, go the whole hog tell the police as well,[/quote]

Just got off the phone to NATO... they are livid too!

For such a claim to be libel the claim would have to be false but with ninety five minutes of filmed coverage it''s fair to say a closer analysis of his performance would I''m entirely sure reveal an entirely nefarious and underhand individual who to twenty five thousand of us must have had his briefcase filled in the quiet.

The sly chats with the opposition, the arrogant posturing at the crowd, missing two absolute stonewall penalties, the list could go on and on as I really couldn''t recall a worse performance from a ref in a very long time.

Surely when it''s a free kick you point to the spot where the offence occurred and if you give a goal you point to the centre spot. He clearly did the latter, the whole crowd and ALL the players thought he had given it.

Last night we saw much that is wrong with the methods employed to referee a football match. It is ludicrous to think that one man can control the game , but when that man is a clearly unfit individual and bereft of any form of athleticism the whole process has to be called into question.

What we witnessed was a man who would never have anything to do with any professional sport , unless for some bizarre reason the regulators give him access as a referee. To openly mock the fans, run to the assessor in the directors box to demonstrate a shirt pull, give the clear signal that he had awarded the goal ( when in fact he should stand still , point to the “infringement” and signal the direction of the restart)  all seemed to be lost on the hapless Mr Russell. When Norwich kept the ball after CAFC had kicked it out, told you just how much respect the game had for the ref. As we all know , this situation is now “managed” by the referee and not left to the players discretion. In this case of course Russell was AWOL , not for the first or last time.

At half time he grabbed the ball and legged it towards the tunnel, leaving his equally squalid linesmen to trot behind him.

Lets assume he didn’t see either of the penalties, or the elbow on Olsson, or the trip on Whittaker etc etc. Of course this might be because he was up with play and well placed to interpret what he saw. More likely it was because he was miles away and had to guess.

What really makes my blood boil is that this tool , who is never going to go anywhere, will be back again. Promotion is not an option, but that doesn’t matter to Russell,  will regard himself as a minor celebrity in his putrid world, and will have an ego that will allow himself a quiet pat on the back for yet another season on the Football League.  As he headed straight to the KFC last night he probably thinks he got away with it. And in many ways he has.

Nothing to do with losing , or sour grapes, this was truly a dreadful performance and one that begs the question of why ex pro’s are not encouraged to become referees.

This muppet has previous

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/a-staggering-error-referee-mick-russell-books-sheffield-wednesdays-jeremy-helan-twice-but-fails-to-send-him-off-8433196.html

https://twitter.com/Only1Argyle/status/454996793395527680

as stated with 25,000 other fans last night……………..YOU''RE NOT FIT TO REFEREE!!

Off topic, but reading the link in the OP mentioned that we haven''t beaten Sheff Wed for a while and sure enough they''ve beaten us the last 8 times we''ve played them! A dreadful record.

We play them at the end of this month so let''s hope Mr Russell isn''t reffing then!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255004/Graham-Poll-Huddersfield-Sheffield-Wednesday-referee-Mick-Russell-sympathy.html

i''ve been trying all day to think exactly what he was conveying to the crowd when he turned and laughed when he was rightly getting abuse?

the only thing that I can think is that he was basically telling us that the more stick he was getting, the less likely he was going to give us any decisions......which was certainly demonstrated in the 2nd half

I dont think I''ve ever seen this before from a referee......I''ve certainly noted his name mentally for future encounters...

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Surely when it''s a free kick you point to the spot where the offence occurred and if you give a goal you point to the centre spot. He clearly did the latter, the whole crowd and ALL the players thought he had given it.[/quote]I don''t want to stick up for the guy, because he was an arrogant idiot, but if you watch the highlights again you can clearly hear the whistle go before the ball goes into the back of the net.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="CANARYKING"]Surely when it''s a free kick you point to the spot where the offence occurred and if you give a goal you point to the centre spot. He clearly did the latter, the whole crowd and ALL the players thought he had given it.[/quote]

I don''t want to stick up for the guy, because he was an arrogant idiot, but if you watch the highlights again you can clearly hear the whistle go before the ball goes into the back of the net.
[/quote]

if you point for a free kick you point towards the opposing goal of the team that have the free kick.

you could even hear the whistle on Radio Norfolk

Barclay seats 48/49 the 3rd wrote the following post at 02/10/2014 4:40 PM:

Can we see the highlight somewhere ? As this happened in real time , a few yards in front of me , it seemed he pointed to the centre circle then changed his mind .

That is the point. What the ref got wrong was not being clear. He did not indicate what the infringement was, or where it occurred. Simply blowing his whistle is not correct.

Watch Howard Webb give a free kick. Where there is doubt, he indicates the position on the pitch where the infringement takes place, by either pointing to the occurrence OR moving to stand where the infringement occurred. Therefore the players (and the crowd)  know where the restart is. Then he indicates the direction of the restart and at the same time indicates whether the free kick is direct or indirect. What this Clown appears to have done was blow his whistle and then run towards the halfway pointing.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Howard Webb is a World Cup Final referee. Mick Russell is to refereeing, what Jim Royle is to marathon running[/quote]

I think that''s a bit harsh on Jim Royle, but I take your point. [;)]