Sign in to follow this  
NCFC198

lessons from last night

Adams has said we will aim to win every game and I totally agree with that ethos. It''s also worked very well for us so far this season.

I just think yesterdays subs cost us dearly. Three in such quick space of time really seemed to disrupt momentum. Loza and Murphy had no impact and I think these were the wrong subs at wrong time.

It became clear that Grabban prob wasn''t going to score. I thought he looked good but lacked that final bit of quality. The change I would have made would have been to swap him for Murphy and pushed wes closer to jerome.

All in all last night was a gutting defeat but we can take heart from the fact we battered them and teams wont usually be able to hold out.

Adams will have learnt that a point is better than none. Although I dont think this will alter his attacking approach, obviously a good thing. He will have also learnt from the substitutions made.

confident for the weekend and the season

Take your chances.

That was surely the biggest lesson from last night.

Jerome should have scored from Redmond''s cross, Redmond then wasted a glorious chance when one-on-one with the ''keeper and they (Hoolahan, in particular iirc) should have got the rebound from that over the line.

Lessons should be learned from the last 3 home games.

It''s not as easy as some thought it would be. :-)

I agree about the late (Hughton-like) substitutions, and struggled to see the point.

I also agree about the need to take our chances. Jerome is a much more clinical finisher than Grabban . The latter makes some glaring misses nearly every match. I like his ability to run with the ball and pass defenders with good ball control, but he seems to lack the finesse of Jerome. One of his failures is to bring the ball under control initially, and often needs two touches. He is probably a little old to improve on his weaknesses, but even a minor improvement could reap benefit.

Peeters'' comments were interesting. He said they''d identified Tettey as the mainspring of our midfield, so concentrated on shutting him out. He suggested they took advantage of our loss of shape after he was replaced.

I can understand why Adams brought Howson on, but, unless Alex was injured, for the life of me I cannot see why he went off rather than BJ.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Peeters'' comments were interesting. He said they''d identified Tettey as the mainspring of our midfield, so concentrated on shutting him out. He suggested they took advantage of our loss of shape after he was replaced.

I can understand why Adams brought Howson on, but, unless Alex was injured, for the life of me I cannot see why he went off rather than BJ.[/quote]

Me neither.   I just think that Adams is still learning as a manager and was trying to be positive.  It didn''t work this time and hopefully he will have analysed what happened and realised he may have made a mistake this time.   Substitutions are a hit or miss affair, but there is an element of caution needed sometimes to protect what you have while still making positive substitutions.  The last manager could never seem to get the balance right, I think Adams will, generally, but he will make mistakes too - all managers do.