Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Charlton

I was going to write about how much I enjoyed night matches but I think that idea must have been a hostage to fortune because fortune is what was missing in massive chunks for a City team who did just about everything we could have asked for in that second half.It looked to be a nice night for football with a pleasant temperature more akin to mid August than late September as City took the field with just one change , Hooiveld out for Martin and Whits coming in at right back. It all started well with City pinging the ball about and Redmond testing Henderson in the first minute at the expense of a corner. It soon became clear that Charlton had set their stall out to defend in numbers and flood the midfield with the result that City found it hard to get going.Grabben fizzed one wide after 6 minutes but the packed Charlton defence were snuffing out most of the danger. In consequence we saw almost nothing of their attack. It was frustrating stuff for a while as when a rare opening occurred there was all too often a slack pass from City at the vital moment. Once again the ref didn''t help matters being seemingly blind to several nudges in the back when the dangerous Redmond was dispossessed. We all thought the deadlock had been broken three minutes before the break when the Charlton keeper flapped at a cross and fell in a heap. Martin, I think it was, stabbed the loose ball home and I swear that the ref pointed to the centre circle for a goal only to change his mind and give a very dubious free kick for a foul on the keeper.Adams obviously got the boys to move the ball quicker second half and after a couple of over hurried mistakes they were soon pushing Charlton back with wave after wave of sweeping attacks. The crowd were in full voice and surely a goal would come at any instant we all thought. Jeromes low shot was saved by the keepers legs then a superb cross from Redmond had us waiting to cheer the opener as three City players lined up to nod in. Amazingly nobody could connect as a gilt edged chance went begging.Redmond was soon at it again, flying past his back and this time Grabben completely missed his kick. Shots rained in but everytime it seemed like a defender got enough of a block and a Charlton boot relieved the danger. With twenty minutes left Charlton were hanging on like a punch drunk boxer using every trick to slow things down and waste time.It looked like a certain goal when Redmond went clear in the box only for his shot to come off the keeper and spin invitingly to Wes on the penalty spot. Somehow his effort was blocked on the line and there was a right old melee before the ball was hacked off the line.With ten minutes left I had that awful feeling that creeps up on you when you remember that you''ve seen this game many times over the years and you know what''s coming next. It took another five minutes but come it did as in a rare Charlton break a speculative shot from 25 yards deflected past Ruddy. Football is indeed a funny old game but unfortunately it wasn''t Ricardo who was laughing.All that remained was for Loza, Howson and Murphy to come on. Howson sprung a couple of attacks but Murphy wasted two good opportunities to deliver and in spite of five minutes added City were never really able to threaten an equaliser.I name Wes as my MOM but in truth they all played well and could not have dominated any half more than they did in the second half tonight. Sometimes you just have to swallow the pain but in truth although Charlton defended well they were very lucky and all I can suggest is that Neil Adams must have kicked a black cat or walked under a ladder.

Spot on Ricardo.

It''s a funny old game. We have, and will again, played worse than that and won games at a canter.

Still top. Onto the next game. A bizarre result really and very unfair.

The ref gave us little all night.

As is often the case you saw the same game as me Rickyyyy. We''ve seen them before and kind of knew what was on the cards before Charlton scored that ridiculous goal. If we can win on Saturday against Rotherham it will soon be forgotten. It''s hard to criticise because we did nothing very wrong.

You called Wes right too. He was awesome tonight. As good as I''ve seen him for a long time. He lost the ball at times but won it back as much if not more. Redmond was good too. And we had our best two strikers on the field. Which brings me to my only criticism. Which was the subs and the need to do it? I bet Charlton were pleased with those subs and their manager would probably have made them if he could have made them for us! In Adams defence I think Tettey was probably injured because he''d recieved treatment earlier. But taking Wes off took the wind out of our sails. Clamouring for subs every game seems to be a modern thing. But if by making the subs you weaken the team they''re probably best not made. Positive substitutions don''t always have a positive effect. I''d be interested to see some stats but I''d guess they have a negative effect nearly as often which is what happened tonight.  

Good report, Ricardo, although you get the timing of the subs slightly wrong as the goal was scored after those were made.

The match turned on those subs IMO, which were too many in a short space of time, causing disruption to team cohesion. I would have gone for one or two much earlier, to allow them time to get into the game.

We could have done with Lafferty last night as a bigger physical presence was needed at times up front.

Still top of the Championship though and as long as we can get a result against Rotherham which I believe we will, then not too much damage has been done. I am one of the few that has always backed Adams for the job, and so far my confidence has been vindicated.

Thanks as usual Ricardo, and from where I was watching summed up the match nicely. Amazingly for me, as I usually very critical of him, I too would give MoM to Hoolahan and agree that this was one time when perhaps he shouldnt have been replaced. IT was actually a very good performance just a shame Charlton had borrowed Chelsea''s bus for this one!

That''s exactly how I saw it - a fantastic performance that on any other night would have brought in several goals & 3 points.Put it down to experience & hammer Rotherham

I beg to differ, we did play well but so could Kings Lynn against that lot last night!

They offered nothing but defence and two shots with ine lucky corner! The first team not to come here and close us down, they gave us 60% of the pitch and time on the ball, so we could play well.

They defended very well and we didn''t take any of the chances created.

I know people saw the same game as me it was defence agaibst attck and defence won.

I agree with the report Ricardo but we played well because Charlton allowed us to, we didn''t score nore have we scored first in many games, I hate to say Rotherham will be as tough a test, so I hope the team & manager come up with a win.

Not being negative just not getting carried away as some are thinking we played very well when we didn''t, we played OK and have only taken 2 points from three winnable games where most of us would have expected at least 5 points.

Thanks Ricardo, once again spot on...I was gutted after that game...hope Charlton get pounded next match....

It''s a cruel game isn''t it?

A good report as ever Ricardo, the only point I would make was that the goal was scored after the substitutions and not before them.

I would agree with Nutty that the need and the constant calls for substitutions isn''t always warranted.

We were playing well, creating chances and well on top. And we had a point.

I know we wanted three but patience may have given us that. I did not think Josh improved upon Wes, who I thought was easily our MOM, I did not think Howson improved upon Tetty and definitely did not think Joza improved upon Grabban.

[quote user="Indy"]I beg to differ, we did play well[/quote][quote user="Indy"]

I agree with the report Ricardo but we played well because Charlton allowed us to[/quote][quote user="Indy"]Not being negative just not getting carried away as

some are thinking we played very well when we didn''t, [/quote]So that''s 2 x we played well & 1 x we didn''t play very well in the same post

Had the game of finished 0-0 with the starting 11 we''d all be asking why no subs had been made. Adams took a gamble, it didn''t work. That happens, but I''d much rather him give it a go instead of sitting on his hands. You can''t argue about what Wes brings to the team, but he needs to be more disciplined at times and not try to hold hands with Redmond. At times Olsson had space to move forward in to, but had to hang back as he had zero cover.

[quote user="paul moy"]Good report, Ricardo, although you get the timing of the subs slightly wrong as the goal was scored after those were made. [/quote]You are correct Paul. It was all a bit hurried last night due to my internet playing up and I didn''t pick up that mistake when I quickly proof read it. It sometimes happens that I get things out of order because I don''t make notes during the match and rely mostly on my memory.[Y]

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Indy"]I beg to differ, we did play well[/quote][quote user="Indy"]

I agree with the report Ricardo but we played well because Charlton allowed us to[/quote][quote user="Indy"]Not being negative just not getting carried away as

some are thinking we played very well when we didn''t, [/quote]So that''s 2 x we played well & 1 x we didn''t play very well in the same post[/quote]

We did play well to a point but only because of time and space Charlton allowed us is my point. But we didn''t get that vital goal.

[quote user="ricardo"]

all I can suggest is that Neil Adams must have kicked a black cat or walked under a ladder.
[/quote]

I think this is the problem when you employ a rookie manager, anyone with experience would''ve kept well clear of cats and ladders, you can''t leave anything to chance. [;)]

Is there any significance in Charlton''s goal coming just 2 mins after the Norwich subs?

Furthermore, how does one get 3 points against a team that parks the bus?

Arguably, Charlton came for a draw and got a win, so their game plan worked better than they had planned.

I thought Adams got the subs wrong last night. tettey was he dominant force in midfield and against a team packing their defence and putting men behind the ball you need Wes for his ability to operate in congested areas and thread a through ball.

I think its absolutely no coincidence at all that their goal came shortly after Tettey was removed and one of their midfielders ventured across the half way line for probably the first time in the second half. If we were going to take a midfielder off it should have been johnson and it worries me that he appears almost undroppable/unsubbable. Thats not to slag off Bradley but Tettey is better and against teams that are going to come to Carrow Road and get men behind the ball we do not need both Johnson and Tettey in the side. We need to get a better passer/more attack minded player in alongside tettey whether that be Howson or VOO. Unfortunately though if Howson comes into the team I fear it will probably be at the expense of Tettey rather than Johnson.

Overall we played well enough to have won comfortably so not too down. i would have been disappointed with a point so to lose was gutting. i don;t really accept that they "did a job on us." Teams that do a job generally frustrate and prevent the opposition from creating good chances. We had plenty of good chances and with a bit more luck and a decent referee on another night would have wpn. For anyone who has not seen it check out the youtuibe footage of Wes''s shot being "blocked" after Redmond''s shot. An absolutely blatant handball and the ref was perfectly placed to see it.

As a final point last night in my view shows why all those who appear to have written off Hooper or think we don''t need him are misguided. Grabban is a good player and i know this is harsh with him having scored 6 already but he is very wasteful and i think had he been presented with the same chances Grabban has had in some of our games Hooper would have buried them. l

It was one of those games where we could have played all night and still not scored!!

Charlton have always been a bogey team, one that you just have to take and move on to the next game. Otbc.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]. We had plenty of good chances and with a bit more luck and a decent referee on another night would have wpn. For anyone who has not seen it check out the youtuibe footage of Wes''s shot being "blocked" after Redmond''s shot. An absolutely blatant handball and the ref was perfectly placed to see it.  l[/quote]As clear a case of a ref influencing the result as you are ever likely to see.You can''t legislate for a dodgy ref. The second one couldn''t have been more obvious had the defender picked up the ball and autographed it. In the context of the game it was very predictable what would happen next.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Had the game of finished 0-0 with the starting 11 we''d all be asking why no subs had been made. Adams took a gamble, it didn''t work. That happens, but I''d much rather him give it a go instead of sitting on his hands. You can''t argue about what Wes brings to the team, but he needs to be more disciplined at times and not try to hold hands with Redmond. At times Olsson had space to move forward in to, but had to hang back as he had zero cover.[/quote]

This totally illustrates my point about the subs. The eleven on the field were working. It was not a case of "it''s not working so let''s change things" In this case not using subs most certainly wasn''t sitting on his hands. When Howson was ready to come on me and Duncan wondered who would make way. The best suggestion I heard was one of the full backs. As it happened Tettey went off. Maybe an injury? Then our most influential player was taken off and then one of our best forwards. It was like gambling a winning hand for a losing one. Surely in some cases it can still be pro-active to keep eleven men who are playing well on the field? Especially when you consider that the substitutes have as much chance of having a negative effect as a positive one.

No criticism of Adams, changes have worked wonders over the past few games, rescued us from losing positions in a number of games.

No one knows if he hadn''t of made the changes if we would have won or lost.

My criticism is of over playing it round a packed penalty area most of the time. Even when we had a free kick in a dangerous area we tried to be clever and ended up getting a corner.

There were times when a shot was on and the players tried to pass!

Funny that a poor shot won the game when this was something we lacked the confidence to do.

It was a frustrating and one which could be repeated Saturday.

Still top until tonight maybe so not all bad.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"]No win situation - damned if he did, damned if he didn''t[/quote]

Bit like the last manager really. 

[/quote]Except that in Chris Hughton''s case after 18 months of total dross it was fully deserved.

[quote user="Indy"]No criticism of Adams, changes have worked wonders over the past few games, rescued us from losing positions in a number of games.

No one knows if he hadn''t of made the changes if we would have won or lost.

My criticism is of over playing it round a packed penalty area most of the time. Even when we had a free kick in a dangerous area we tried to be clever and ended up getting a corner.

There were times when a shot was on and the players tried to pass!

Funny that a poor shot won the game when this was something we lacked the confidence to do.

It was a frustrating and one which could be repeated Saturday.

Still top until tonight maybe so not all bad.[/quote]

Can''t go along with that Indy. We were patient when attacking and tried to create openings. We made enough chances to win the game 5 times over. But a combination of good defending, poor finishing and a poor ref scuppered us. I think Charlton would have found it a lot easier if we''d been more direct.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"]No win situation - damned if he did, damned if he didn''t[/quote]

[/quote]Except that in Chris Hughton''s case after 18 months of total dross it was fully deserved.[/quote]

Smiffy... get over it....

I''m sure if you were on Bondi beach with Jennifer Lopez you''d still be thinking of a miserable day on Wigan pier with Nora Batty[;)]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"]No win situation - damned if he did, damned if he didn''t[/quote]

[/quote]Not at all - give me one instance, when still at 0-0 with 10 minutes to go, Hughton brought on 3 subs to try & win the game

Not direct Nutty but take a shot or two rather than over playing it....we did over play it at times.

I can''t remember us taking a shot outside the box!

[quote user="Indy"]Not direct Nutty but take a shot or two rather than over playing it....we did over play it at times.

I can''t remember us taking a shot outside the box![/quote]Johnson fizzed one wide from outside the box, put his boot through it - thought he''d learned!