Sign in to follow this  
Holtcantshoot

Jinny Howson to start against Rotherham?

I thought Howson added a useful amount of pace and drive in the middle of the park when he came on Tuesday. We would be better off with him playing in the centre of the park pushing forwards and have a more traditional left winger to help us keep shape a bit better. Playing Hoolahan on the left/centre leaves us too lopsided when attacking and defending and Johnson has dropped off form recently in my opinion as well.Definitely a good time for Jinny and Josh Murphy to get there first start of the season against Rotherham.

Agreed Holt, but can you see Adams dropping Hotlips? I can''t!

Personally I''d go with the same team except put Howson in for BJ. (for some reason people seem to think Howson is a replacement for Hoolahan, but he''s not, especially when we''re at home)

I would bring Howson in for Tettey. We don''t need 2 defensive midfielders in there. I would prefer BJ in there as in my opinion he''s a better distrubutor of the ball than Tettey and then we can have Howson making forward runs.

We need someone who can pass in midfield, so many attacking chances end with bj kicking the ball straight off the pitch

if howson is to come in he is the perfect box to box player - linking the from 4 with the back 6.

For me the only logical swap is Jinny for BJ - tettey is the far superior player of the two so far this season

If Jinny doesnt come in for Wis, then I personally would rather see Bridley keep his place and rest Tittey, but it is a close run thing as both are playing very well......a bit of rotation would not hurt right now after a couple of slightly disappointing results.

Holcantshoot wrote:

Definitely a good time for Jinny and Josh Murphy to get there first start of the season against Rotherham.

..............................................................................................

I agree Murphy''s goal against Blackpool was good - but have you lost all sense of reality ?

Do you think Rotherham are going to come here and stand toe to toe with us - trading blow for blow. Or do you think they will park the bus and put all eleven behind the ball?

We do have a quality squad to a point. If it''s "open" game where gaps appear all over the place, then a lot of our attacking players will come into their own. But it''s not going to be open - Rotherham will come with a plan of stopping us.

The inexperience Murphy will have no "dog" show of breaking them down. I''ll go with Hoolahan every time.

Would like to see Howson in for Johnson.

Also go back to a 4231 and bring Lafferty in on the left and put Grabban on the bench.

Put Martin back to right back and bring Hooiveld in for Whittaker.

Ruddy

Martin Turner Hooiveld Olsson

Tettey Howson

Redmond Hoolahan Lafferty

Jerome

Howson is still a bit of an enigma to me.   The Man City game where he scored showed his ability, but whenever I have seen him, either live or online, he has been coming back from an injury or hasn''t had a long run in the team so I always feel we are not seeing the best of him.  He shows some nice touches at times and knows where the goal is - but how many goals has he scored for us? There have been some games I''ve watched him in where he has looked quite poor and the game is passing him by.   Imo we need to see him in the team for a long spell before we get the best from him and if he doesn''t get a run in the team, he is in danger of becoming like Pilkington - a  player who has ability, but we hardly ever get to see it. I''d like to see him in for Johnson to see if he can get a partnership going with Tettey.   With a 4231 formation or 451, that would enable us to have our best ball playing midfield.   Tettey, Howson with Wes in front, or with Vadis, with two wide men and one of our in form strikers.  The formation at the start of the season looked terrific, with loads of movement off the ball, creating all sorts of problems for the opposition.  Today I would like to see Lafferty back in too.                   RuddyWhittaker  Martin Turner Olsson            Tettey   Howson Redmond  Hoolahan  Lafferty                   Grabban 

Jerome and Murphy to come on to step things up later in the game.  

Interesting how fans see this in so many different ways , it''s difficult to disagree with any one opinion , because all make sense . I believe this is down to the fact that we have a really good depth in the squad .

LDC is right in his comment about Howson possibly becoming another " lost" talent , but I see him as a replacement for the creativity of Wes , rather than the defensive capabilities of Johnson , who I think is too important to leave out .

I have to say I really struggle to see where people are coming from when they say Howson has never performed on a regular/consistent basis. I think if you''re saying that about Howson then you can say it about everyone playing for Norwich in the last few years.

Think about when he established himself and was a regular in the starting line up. From January of Hughton''s first season through to when he got injured around December last season, he was basically always in the team.

In that year who played well more often than he did? Especially in midfield.

[quote user="GJP"]

I have to say I really struggle to see where people are coming from when they say Howson has never performed on a regular/consistent basis. I think if you''re saying that about Howson then you can say it about everyone playing for Norwich in the last few years.

Think about when he established himself and was a regular in the starting line up. From January of Hughton''s first season through to when he got injured around December last season, he was basically always in the team.

[/quote]Yes, all very well to say that, but that coincided with a pretty poor run from the team generally.  Not blaming him for that, but I want to see him in a good team, dominating the ball more - and generally being more influential than we are used to seeing him.  That is his potential - and that is what we need to see from him.

hes just coming back from injury, the rest of the team is doing alright so far, he should have to win his place back not just be given it

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Yes, all very well to say that, but that coincided with a pretty poor run from the team generally.  Not blaming him for that, but I want to see him in a good team, dominating the ball more - and generally being more influential than we are used to seeing him.  That is his potential - and that is what we need to see from him.

[/quote]

But he was still our best or one of our best players and how much can he do if some of those around him aren''t coming up to the mark?

I don''t really see that there''s a strong argument for him having to prove himself more than anyone else. He''s probably got less to prove.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GJP"]I have to say I really struggle to see where people are coming from when they say Howson has never performed on a regular/consistent basis. I think if you''re saying that about Howson then you can say it about everyone playing for Norwich in the last few years.Think about when he established himself and was a regular in the starting line up. From January of Hughton''s first season through to when he got injured around December last season, he was basically always in the team.In that year who played well more often than he did? Especially in midfield.

[/quote]Yes, all very well to say that, but that coincided with a pretty poor run from the team generally.  Not blaming him for that, but I want to see him in a good team, dominating the ball more - and generally being more influential than we are used to seeing him.  That is his potential - and that is what we need to see from him. [/quote]

But he was still our best or one of our best players and how much can he do if some of those around him aren''t coming up to the mark? I don''t really see that there''s a strong argument for him having to prove himself more than anyone else. He''s probably got less to prove. [/quote]

Maybe, but I think he has more goals in him than we have seen from him at Norwich and I''ve never felt that we have seen the best from him, for whatever reason.    I''m not really criticising him at all, just that I feel that fully fit and with the confidence of a run in the team he will be much more influential at this level and score more goals.   As someone else said he could fill the Wes role and I agree, but my thoughts are that with Tettey in the team and with Wes in the midfield three we have enough defensive cover to allow any of the three to get forward.   Taking it on a stage further, I would hope that if Vadis is what we hope for, he could come in for Wes at times and the midfield three would be Tettey, Howson and Vadis - a potential powerhouse of a mifdfield in a 451 or 4231 with two wide players.