Sign in to follow this  
Craig Brown

My Thoughts on today's game - Norwich 1-1 Rotherham

I am delighted that Norwich managed to earn a point to stay top of the league and in the top two automatic promotion spots.

Norwich should have won the game - 27 shots - 6 on target - 21 off target. Rotherham had 6 shots - 2 on target - 4 shots on target. To be honest the fact that Norwich had that many chances means we should have won the game.

Unfortunately when we nearly scored in the first half. Rotherham got bodies on the line to stop the ball going in. We had chances to take the lead.

Johnson missed a good chance after Redmond set him. Jerome should have scored in the first half with the chances he had. poor finishing let us down. Grabban also could have scored himself.

Ruddy must take responsibility for fouling Derbyshire. If he is going to come rushing out of his goal - he needs to make sure he gets the ball. Rotherham didn''t deserve to score - the way they played. The goal came totally against the run of play. They hit us on the counter attack.

But again - just like Charlton - Rotherham only needed one chance to punish us. To be fair to Norwich they did respond well and kept attacking and kept creating chances. They never gave up and they got their reward when they got the equalising goal.

How many times have we seen that this season? Norwich have gone a goal down and yet they didn''t give up - they kept fighting. Well done to Neil Adams for bringing on Lafferty for Hoolahan. Lafferty made a big difference to Norwich getting back in the game.

I have to say I was questioning his decision to take off Hoolahan - as I always thought Hoolahan could create a goal. But perhaps Hoolahan was getting tired and we needed some fresh legs and somebody with energy.

Lafferty did well. He nearly scored with his attempts on goal and he set up Jerome who hit the post. So Lafferty offered us creativity. It was his shot which hit the post and Jerome put the rebound in.

Seven goals for Jerome. I am so pleased for him - because he had a tough time trying to take his chances today. Murphy made a good contribution when he came on. He set up a chance for Redmond!

I can''t believe Johnson didn''t score with the chances he had! Lafferty once set up a chance - this time for Johnson - who couldn''t convert. Murphy also could have scored - but his attempt missed the target - credit to Howson for the assist. Lafferty again in stoppage time - set up Grabban - but he couldn''t take his chance.

I think Neil Adams needs to start with Lafferty. We need his creativity. The problem Norwich have is do they drop Grabban and go with one striker up front?

Perhaps Norwich should go with one striker up front - but I would play Lafferty in a central attacking role. I personally would have Hoolahan and Lafferty just behind Jerome.

Fantastic post Craig. You describe the game I watched. I think Lafferty has done enough to earn a start maybe with Grabban making way. It''s not about dropping players, just using the squad.

I know Lafferty has been criticized before - because has talked himself into the referees book by being stupid and maybe that is why Neil Adams took him out of the side. But the way Lafferty played today - his performance - he caused Rotherham problems by being direct and by creating chances and yet he nearly scored himself. If Lafferty can stay disciplined - he will have no problems - because make no mistake he has ability and will cause many championship defences problems with his creativity.