Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

move the away fans

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Beard"]FYI the away fans were herded into the left hand side of the Barclay (when viewed from the pitch) when all the great battles took place, such as against Leeds, Manure, Arsenal and Millwall

I say "Great" because i was standing in the River End at the time, so got a good view, and at times the fighting was more entertaining than the football.[/quote]in the early 80s when i started going reguarly im pretty sure the away fans were on the right of the barclay when viewed from the pitch or to the left when stood in the barclay, you must be talking about the great battles of the 70s man u fan through the roof and all that [:D]

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="andgreen"]Seat them inside your head, there''s obviously plenty of spare room[/quote]newbie , binner, w@nker, go fu(k yourself  [:D][/quote]

Haha....not a newbie at all sonny, that''s you in comparison......early 80s.....wow....air head

Moving to the infill with extra spaces for larger away fans into the N&P seems a good place to me. Would fill that area most games and free up better places for our own fans. We always seem to have the worst seats at away games so why should we give them good seats when they visit us.

And of course ,, without reverting to childish insults , the logistics , of getting away fans in and out of the ground from the station have always meant that the section of the " South stand " ( Jarrold) where they are specifically located now , is the best place to put them .

I might also suggest that "you" think that the away support is noisy , simply and only because you are right next to them ,, from where I am in the Barclay ,, you can barely hear them ,, just see their arms waving about .

Now just stop it !

If my memory isn’t playing tricks on me, I’m sure that when the Barclay was redeveloped the plan was for away fans to go in the upper tier. The first game was a pre-season friendly against Spurs and their fans smashed up a snack bar and lobbed various objects and bodily fluids down onto the home fans so plans were hastily changed and away fans went into the South stand.  

[quote user="Mr Grumpy"]

If my memory isn’t playing tricks on me, I’m sure that when the Barclay was redeveloped the plan was for away fans to go in the upper tier. The first game was a pre-season friendly against Spurs and their fans smashed up a snack bar and lobbed various objects and bodily fluids down onto the home fans so plans were hastily changed and away fans went into the South stand.  

[/quote]Although it was before my time, I have heard people talk of this, so you could well be correct.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Grumpy"]

[/quote]

Although it was before my time, I have heard people talk of this, so you could well be correct.
[/quote]

It was another one of Robert Chase''s fantastic ideas.

Yes, it was proposed that the away fans be located in the Upper Barclay and I think it was tried for two matches (including the infamous Spurs match referred to above).  Was never going to work.  Where they are now is the best option without causing disruption.  As for the level of away support, where I sit/stand in Block B of the Lower Barclay all you can hear is the Lower Barclay or the Snakepit - hardly ever hear much from the away fans unless its a big contingent or a noisy bunch like Man City.

(On an aside note, I remember attending matches at Old Trafford in the 70''s when the away fans were located on the Lower Tier of the Scoreboard End with United fans in the Upper Tier.  My what fun was had by all when Leeds were the visitors!!!!)

[quote user="Lord Horn Returns"]

Yes, it was proposed that the away fans be located in the Upper Barclay and I think it was tried for two matches (including the infamous Spurs match referred to above).  Was never going to work. 

[/quote]

I seem to recall M''Lud that the other game was a mid week cup replay against Coventry. RTC had been warned about putting away fans in the upper tier but he was having none of it and it took Plod putting a report on the problems being experienced in front of Norfolk County Council ground licensing authority before things changed.

As for the odd poster who suggests putting the visitors in the N&P infill not such a bright idea with exit and entry virtually outside the club shop and Yellows.

Stick them at the top of the N&P were they can''t be seen/heard. At the moment they have FAR too much influence on the assistant referee.

They are where they are because logistically that is probably the only realistic place to put them. Plus the Jarrold is designed to have flexible points of segregation so attendances are maximised.

Any proposal that places away support above home support is asking for trouble and should be filed under bonkers.

If the crowd does have an influence on officials then surely the overwhelming greater numbers of home support should have far greater influence.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]They are where they are because logistically that is probably the only realistic place to put them. Plus the Jarrold is designed to have flexible points of segregation so attendances are maximised.

Any proposal that places away support above home support is asking for trouble and should be filed under bonkers.

If the crowd does have an influence on officials then surely the overwhelming greater numbers of home support should have far greater influence.[/quote]

I think the last couple of home games emphatically prove otherwise!

For the record, can anyone remember where away fans were located in our very first PL match?

The first correct and accurate answer will win the title of Pinkun Statto!

Yellows whilst I would agree that the standard of officiating has left something to be desired I am struggling to think of decisions that were influenced by the positioning of the away fans.

But on the other hand I can see that our own chants of You don''t know what you are doing do have the potential to be counterproductive!

[quote user="flecky76"]For the record, can anyone remember where away fans were located in our very first PL match?

The first correct and accurate answer will win the title of Pinkun Statto![/quote]We were the away fans in our first premier league game so .......... West Stand at Highbury?

Haha, good point Molly! I''m referring to our first PL home game by the way.

PS, Arsenal away fans were housed in that corner between clock end and west stand. Though I watched the game with the junior canaries (yep, I was one!) in the main stand next to the norwich dug out!!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Lord Horn Returns"]

Yes, it was proposed that the away fans be located in the Upper Barclay and I think it was tried for two matches (including the infamous Spurs match referred to above).  Was never going to work. 

[/quote]

I seem to recall M''Lud that the other game was a mid week cup replay against Coventry. RTC had been warned about putting away fans in the upper tier but he was having none of it and it took Plod putting a report on the problems being experienced in front of Norfolk County Council ground licensing authority before things changed.

As for the odd poster who suggests putting the visitors in the N&P infill not such a bright idea with exit and entry virtually outside the club shop and Yellows.

[/quote]

Definitely right with Coventry there Officer Tilly!