Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Is Adams being 'found out'

New managers to the game go through a purple patch whilst their players adjust to the managers way of thinking.

After poor defensive displays v cardiff and Birmingham and tonight''s shut out against a league two side has Adams been found out?

We have had a great start to the season but I think the honeymoon period is over now. Time for some realism, mid table mediocrity to follow.

I hardly think our scrubs losing to a jacked up lower league team looking for a big scalp in an early round, and therefore fairly meaningless game is the end of the honeymoon.

The honeymoon was last spring when he took over. While we did play better, the results ddidn''t come mainly due to the level of competition and their need for points. Nobody phoned it in as happened at the end of the previous season.

I think "found out" is too strong but I do think there is a legitimate argument to say that our superior firepower and ability to win matches has perhaps masked some issues in other areas of our game and the fact that we have maybe not played as well as our league position might suggest.

This is not an Adams out rant by the way but i think what we have seen so far is indicative of the fact he is far from the finished article as a manager and nor should we expect him to be after just 14 games in the job.

What we do know is that he is a quick learner, can change things during the game and seems to be able to motivate the players and get a reaction at half time. These are all huge positives that will benefit us throughout the season. On balance he is doing well.

Having said that I am unconvinced by the defence (Hoiveld in particular at present - please hurry back RyBen) and we are not controlling games and getting our noses in front often enough. We have better players than most in the championship and we will have too much going forward for most but the fact is that we should have been two down against Blackburn, we quite possibly could have been two down at half time at Brentford and we were two down at half time against both Cardiff and Brum. Even though we dominated the sc*m they could have got back in it with Murphy''s chance so there remain areas for improvement both in terms of the amount of chances we give opponants , Adams getting things right in the first half and the team''s first half showings/concentration.

I also have some nagging doubts about how we will maintain morale with so many "first team" players not getting any regular game time and see that as a major challenge for Adams. I find it a bit of a worry that we have bought VOO for £4m yet he has not had a single minute playing in his proper position yet and Mcgrandles didn''t even get on the pitch in the Carling Cup. We arguably have too many senior CM''s and CB''s (I don;t think we needed both Miquel and Hoiveld) for a championship club and man managing those who are not playing so they do not become frustrated will be important but with no reserve team and us out of this cup will be tricky.

We now have Blackpool away and Charlton and Rotherham at home in the space of a week. What a great chance for us to really cement our place at the top of the table by taking 7 or 9 points from these games. I think we will do that because the simple fact is we have a better team than these other clubs but wouldn''t it be nice to do so with a couple of really convincing 90 minute performances rather than just relying our our firepower to overrun teams in the second half (even though that uis hugely enjoyable at the time!),

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/DoubleFacePalm1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/DoubleFacePalm1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

We''re 2nd in the league, haven''t lost in the league since the opening day, scored 17(!) goals (joint top), creating more chances than any other team, are watching exciting, entertaining football, have adjusted to championship football better than anyone could''ve expected, are showing some passionate and committed performances from all and as the chants are going, we (finally) have our Norwich back.

A completely different 11 lost to Shrewsbury. Being found out is your strongest 11 being nullified by the oppositions tactics and formation. Opposition may be working out how to play against us but Adams has already proved he can change formations, during a game if necessary, to regain the initiative.

The OP question is for if and when we go through a rough patch and our plans a,b,c etc aren''t working. More importantly, it''s not for after a cup game without one of our regular starting 11 in it.

Yep, you''re right. He''s been found out.

I only hope he is found out in the way Lambert was when we crashed out in the cup under him.

0 - 4 against MK Dons wasn''t it?

Robo-binner, we get it. You posted this at 1am because you saw the score and had a little ex-pat paddy about it. Bless.

With a slight worsening of luck we could easily have been 2 or 3 points worse off at this stage. I expect Derby to get going sooner or later and displace one of the present top two, then we''ll see if Adams can keep us in the playoff positions. I don''t think he will, because sooner or later teams will sus out our direct approach.

Didn''t realise the bins got emptied at the EDP on a Wednesday.

Is it black or green bin this week binners?

Dirty, dirty binners.

And with a slight improvement in luck we could be 3/4/5 points better off.

We are where we are.

[quote user="I.S."]And with a slight improvement in luck we could be

3/4/5 points better off.

We are where we are.[/quote]It''s a truism to say we have the points we

have, but in relation to the football I''ve seen I''d be surprised if we

finished in the top 2. I''d say there are at least three genuine

contenders for the automatic places this season, including a couple of

sides which play far better football than we do.

Then you''ve seen fu4k all of the football we''ve played then

Don''t worry, you are in good company, binner.

Which sides play far better football than us Boss Drum? Forest arguably have superior stats, but have played several of the bottom teams.

Other than that, we have outscored every other team in the Championship haven''t we?

A daft debate? No not really, we deserve to be where we are, but it''s not all rosy easy football.

We have been outscored in the first half of games and I would ay outplayed in most of those league games, thanks to Ruddy we have been in a position to recover and well.

Last night was more about fringe players finding match fitness and proving a point, they failed. It''s a cup game which would have been nice to win but not a disaster to lose.

The next three games are key for pushing on and in reality Charlton is a hard game so 7 points from tge next 3 will be a good indicator to where we are.

We do have a good squad and it should be used when needed.

[quote user="I.S."]Which sides play far better football than us Boss Drum? Forest arguably have superior stats, but have played several of the bottom teams.

Other than that, we have outscored every other team in the Championship haven''t we?[/quote]I''m going on the quality of the football rather than things like goals scored as I believe that it will bring longer-term success. I was very impressed with Derby last season and can see Middlesborough doing well. Neither are top-notch in a footballing sense, but both play better and more varied football than Norwich.But each to their own, some people enjoy plenty of crosses and a battling midfield that is good at head tennis rather than decent football played on the deck.

Erm I think you will find that goals scored actually comes pretty high on the factors that determine how successful we are table.

I don''t think Adams has a quality of football clause in his contract. His job is to win games not to play pretty football. Would you really be more satisfied if we played pretty football but we''re sitting in the bottom 3?

How do you measure quality of football if it isn''t on goals scored and chances created? Defensive stability? Or are you simply a troll?

[quote user="I.S."]How do you measure quality of football if it isn''t on goals scored and chances created? Defensive stability?[/quote]That''s like asking how do you measure the attractiveness of a woman. Most plastics on here seem to like a ugly tart and a casual thrill, but us non-plastics want to take the gorgeous girl to the dance.

[quote user="Brightside"]His job is to win games not to play pretty football.[/quote]This is a typical plastic attitude. I remember Dave Stringer saying that he didn''t get his team to play attractive football just for the sake of it, but in order to win games.