title winners do not take part in play off finalsand having a paper thin squad will show the strain once the toll off injuries and suspensions kick in

i always use ipswich as a barometer as to the strength of this league.....the higher they are ,the poorer the division.

the fact that they''re 4th really bares out the fact that this appears to be a very ordinary division.

I''ve yet to see a good side so far, either from those we''ve played or on TV. We''re top ,yet I''m slightly dissapointed that we''re not further clear due to dropped home points.

if we have to go through playoffs it would mean that we have failed massively in getting a top 2 place considering our squad and finances.

I''d really be tempted to hide in a cave somewhere for 2 hours during a norwich v ipswich playoff final rather than be there as the occasion would just be too big for me.

it would either be one of the best or worst days of your life...and no inbetween

Sign of the fact there is nothing to fear in this league and also benefitting from a run of 3 home games in 4 games all against pretty average sides.

We now have two similar home games and if we win them I expect us to be a few more points clear of that lot than we sit tonight.

it should be remembered that at this stage (9 games) in L1 we were 15 points behind Leeds they had 25 points, we had 10it is still early days

Derby look next best but the rest are much of a muchness.Ipswich have little depth to their squad but luck with injuries may allow them to bag a top six spot. They haven''t beaten anyone above 16th yet and only 3 of their games have been against top half.

Can''t help but agree with the comments so far regarding the quality of the league on what we have seen so far, sure early days, but not what I expected.

Also, regarding Ipswich...where they are regardless of the quality, is in fairness testimony to their manager, who on very limited resources is at least giving them some hope.

It took me years to get over the last play off, still blame Worthington for making that substation at a free kick. sure we would have gone on to win.

Living where I do the thought of playing them would be too much, I''d have to go on holiday where there was no internet or phone or tv.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]i always use ipswich as a barometer as to the strength of this league.....the higher they are ,the poorer the division.

the fact that they''re 4th really bares out the fact that this appears to be a very ordinary division.

I''ve yet to see a good side so far, either from those we''ve played or on TV. We''re top ,yet I''m slightly dissapointed that we''re not further clear due to dropped home points.

if we have to go through playoffs it would mean that we have failed massively in getting a top 2 place considering our squad and finances.

I''d really be tempted to hide in a cave somewhere for 2 hours during a norwich v ipswich playoff final rather than be there as the occasion would just be too big for me.

it would either be one of the best or worst days of your life...and no inbetween[/quote]

It would be horrendous wouldn''t it.

Credit where credits due though, they''ve been decent since we beat them. Daryl murphy continues to impress. I think they''ll push a play off place.

judge them when they''ve played some top half teamswhen the injuries and suspensions kick in - as they will with usimagine if all we had were those who played on Saturday with three from the bench .... and that was it, bar some of the fringe youth playersand no money to do anything about it either

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Before shouting about how poor the Championship is, look how close it is at the top !
Norwich 9 12 20
Nottm Forest 9 10 19
Wolves 9 5 18
Watford 9 7 17
Ipswich 9 6 17
Derby 9 7 16
Middlesbrough 9 6 16
Charlton 9 3 15
Sheff Wed 9 3 15
Blackburn 9 0 14
[/quote]

youve probably backed up the argument that it is poor there....a much of a muchness.....we havent even hit top gear yet , yet are still above everyone

Incredible.

We''re top of the league and yet one of "ours" elects to start a thread about how good the scum are?

One of ours my foot. Obvious binner is obvious, Lincoln Binner.

That''s a bit harsh. I noticed with surprise that they are in the top six.

I think that it''s too early to make a judgement on the quality of this league.

Brentford and Brum have run us close and Wolves of course beat us. Perspective chaps.

However we have the squad and they don''t

Binners are hugely reliant on McGoldrick. If they hadn''t been so greedy and wanted £8m he would be at Leicester  I think Mad Mick put his parts on. It''s just as well for the Binners that he did, without him they are toast.

I find the not selling of McGoldrick quite an odd choice, for me he is not worth £8m, but I believe they were offered £5m+.

So is there thinking that they can sneak in to the playoffs with him in the team and hope to get lucky?

I would be amazed if he signed a new deal with Scum so is value is just dropping every transfer window.

They should have sold and gone again, Peterborough have been doing it brilliantly.

They were awful against us so they''ve either improved a hell of a lot or this division is weaker than we thought.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]1 up at forest. Like it or not I think they are going to be in the promotion race.[/quote]

You have a strange way of looking at life Lincoln. I know Norwich is your team but far too often your posts convey a negative slant regarding your own team. However, you can only see positives when you look outside of Norwich. I think you operate your football life in a world of fear. Be brave, hope for the best, see the best, walk with your chest out. After a while you will find yourself being this way naturally. After all, your team is still top of the division at the moment.

As a pure one off, I wouldnt begrudge the a win today (prefer a draw) if it means we stay top for another fortnight.

It does mean that we will have to reverse our terrible record at Fulham otherwise we face the unpalatable possibility of them going above us in the next round of games.

For those saying it''s not a poor league....I don''t know which is the biggest indication that it is...us still being top after the poor week we''ve had...or a side like Ipswich potentially being level on points with us tonight?

Conceded in the last minute, aww.

As for being promotion contenders , still think it''s too early to say. Top 8 separated by 2 points at the moment. Squad size will tell at some point (you''d think, and hope!) and no matter what the doomsayers think and say, we''ve been unlucky this week and will work out ways to beat teams at home. All positives for me so far this season. Bring it on.

Good old Henri Lansbury with a couple of assists. Top of the league for a couple more weeks at least.

McCarthy''s done well to construct that team within the restraints of FFP, but one has to wonder just how much players such as McGoldrick are rewarded for staying there and just how close to the wind they are sailing. Attendances remain nothing special.

Currently they are creaming themselves that Johny Williams has briefly returned to Portman Road. They actually refer to him as "Joniesta," but one has to wonder that if he is that good then why have Palace loaned him out again or indeed just how long before they want him back?

We cannot be too critical of this manouvre though as I recall us once building a promotion side with the likes of Huckerby and Crouch borrowed for a while. Not entirely satisfactory to a certain extent, IMO, as it essentially means buying points whilst avoiding the risks of the transfer market, the reason why the use of such loanees is a very expensive business. it is also another counter against the binmen''s claims that McCarthy is building a promotion side on a shoestring.  

One or two decent players have come to the fore there now, particularly in defence but their strength in depth will be tested once injuries begin to take their toll during the long hard hampionship winter

I hope they win today as essentially I see Forest as the greater threat, in the long run,  to our own  aspirations. Besides, as has been pointed out, we will bestride the table for two more weeks at least.

If we''ve learned anything so far it''s that this is a tough league and anybody can beat anybody, especially when you''re least expecting it.Furthermore, it''s not exactly been plain sailing for anyone.Yes we''ve had a few slip ups & disappointments but we''re still top & with a tad more good fortune we would have a handy lead by now. I would have taken this at the start of the season and even though there is room for improvement in a couple of areas we''re doing ok.A couple of weeks now to sort a few things out and then get back to winning ways.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]1 up at forest. Like it or not I think they are going to be in the promotion race.[/quote]

You have a strange way of looking at life Lincoln. I know Norwich is your team but far too often your posts convey a negative slant regarding your own team. However, you can only see positives when you look outside of Norwich. I think you operate your football life in a world of fear. Be brave, hope for the best, see the best, walk with your chest out. After a while you will find yourself being this way naturally. After all, your team is still top of the division at the moment.

[/quote]No, that''s Norwich.Reading are 13th.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

It''s not that. It''s more to do with the fact most people on here have the warped opinion that we are light years ahead of every team in this division, including Ipswich, when clearly we are not. We''re a decent side in a tough division. There''s too much arrogance towards the opposition on here. This leads to over expectancy.