Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Where is the new all singing all dancing Pink Un forum ?

A few weeks ago when a forum that cannot be mentioned got up and running Sports Desk Pete popped up and said Archant were working on upgrades and additional features for this site but since then it has all gone quiet. The reason I ask is that at the weekend in Blackpool I bumped into someone involved with the unmentionable site and they said it just took a few days and about £300 to set up. With the greatest of respect to those involved surely Archant have more technical knowhow, financial clout and resources.

When you bumped into this person did you say "out of the way be11end" while he apologised and said "My fault entirely old chap.. after you"

I wonder if they''ll get the ok before you take another point off us. April 2009 seems sooo long ago. Have you still got those tenners you were wetting yourselvers about as you waved them? Talk about years of failure....

To be honest apart from the like button I dont use any other extra functionality that the "other" site offers - I read and write on both - sometimes coherently,  others not - but have not once thought oooh I wish I could do that on here.

Its all about choices Yellow - I am glad you enjoy and prefer there - my post was all about my preference so not really looking for anyones approval or agreement. 

I enjoy both sites as both are facilitate what I want to do which is talk about our club - I just dont actually use the extra modern functionality.

I only really read forums so edit buttons and the like don''t really affect me but I have to say Im leaning more towards the other site atm. Although no doubt i''ll continue to read both whether this site upgrades or not.

I met a nice young lady on that chat site bit over there, only she stopped chatting with me after I sent her that picture of my John Thomas that she wanted. Now I''m scared to buy a tabloid newspaper.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I met a nice young lady on that chat site bit over there, only she stopped chatting with me after I sent her that picture of my John Thomas that she wanted. Now I''m scared to buy a tabloid newspaper.[/quote]

I''m sure you are because then you would have to fork out money for a magnifying glass too.

I hate edit buttons.

I visit forums that have them, don''t have them or in some cases have a mixture of both.

By the way TL, with the right know how a forum site can cost a lot, lot less than that to set up.

For those that are wondering, I disslike edit buttons on discussion forums like this because people (you know who I mean) would be editing their posts every time people disputed it and would then claim innocence or that someone had misunderstood etc.

The best compromise I have seen is only being able to edit a post until someone replies to it or for a time limited period eg 1hr.

Otherwise the onus is on people to think before they type and to take ownership and responsibility for what they have written.

[quote user="chicken"]I hate edit buttons.

I visit forums that have them, don''t have them or in some cases have a mixture of both.

By the way TL, with the right know how a forum site can cost a lot, lot less than that to set up.

For those that are wondering, I disslike edit buttons on discussion forums like this because people (you know who I mean) would be editing their posts every time people disputed it and would then claim innocence or that someone had misunderstood etc.

The best compromise I have seen is only being able to edit a post until someone replies to it or for a time limited period eg 1hr.

Otherwise the onus is on people to think before they type and to take ownership and responsibility for what they have written.[/quote]Well you will be pleased to know that on that site that shall not be mentioned, the edit time is a lot less than an hour, so as to be able to correct spelling mistakes etc.Too often here, if you are typing something you notice a stupid spelling mistake just as you press "post" and then have to make another post apologising for it before the spelling nazis see it.

I built it.

It actually cost me a lot less than £300.

I''ve probably spent a bit over £200 total including three lots of monthly server + license costs at $30 per month. That monthly expense will rise with the database size and (hopefully) traffic. Some of that cost relates to third party code which I''ve paid for and have yet to even use.

And including £25 in facebook ads, which proved a waste of money.

But I''ve put a serious number of hours into it. And that''s my true cost, because I could have made a lot of money with those hours if I''d invested them in my business rather than my hobby site, and I''m now playing catch up. Somebody is getting paid every month for those hours at Archant.

It did only take a couple of days to set up and get populated, but I''ve done a lot of stuff since then - such as the custom forum icons and the member map, so that probably isn''t a fair reflection of the time invested.

You don''t need much "technical knowhow, financial clout and resources" to simply download and install forum software to a server, and then mess around with a stylesheet to change the colours and customise the design a little.

I elected to go with a decent paid cloud hosted option because I need more than just a forum, but a complete CMS (content management system) to build out the site, and because I get a free upgrade to IP board 4.0 when it is ready (which is what I really wanted from the start). The Pink''un only need a forum, the rest of their site uses a different CMS.

But there is also some decent free open source software which Archant could use. Presumably their server costs would remain fairly constant, so in terms of their outlay it could be as little as £0.00 + whatever they pay their technical bloke, who if an employee would be getting paid already.

So perhaps as little £0.00 additional cost to their business.

Simple Machines is completely free software. This forum uses Simple Machines and does all the stuff you expect to see on a forum: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/

phpBB 3 is free and open source. Here is an example of a site running that:

http://forums.gameservers.com/

Although don''t discount my "knowhow" completely, I once built and managed a site which saw just shy of 1 million hits a month for almost two years, I''m no coder but I''m not strictly an amateur when it comes to building and managing sites. Neither am I an expert.

The challenge that the Pink''un have after they have installed their software (looks like it is going here on this subdomain http://forums.pinkun.com/default.html) is migrating all posts from this forum to the new one.

That is a massive headache. I don''t actually know what software are using for this forum right now, but because it is so old any new software may not have a tool to quickly and easily migrate content from this forum to their new one.

Of course, if the Pink''un haven''t even started their new forum and need a helping hand.... they can always throw me a couple of hundred quid and give me a few days, and I''ll build it for them. Not sure I''d be able to migrate 1.5 million posts from this one to that one though, and that may be the stumbling block. If there isn''t a way to push a button to do it then that may require somebody to custom code a program to import/export.

[quote user="CanaryboyNT"]I built it.

I''ve probably spent a bit over £200 total including three lots of monthly server + license costs at $30 per month. That monthly expense will rise with the database size and (hopefully) traffic. Some of that cost relates to third party code which I''ve paid for and have yet to even use.

But I''ve put a serious number of hours into it. And that''s my true cost, because I could have made a lot of money with those hours if I''d invested them in my business rather than my hobby site, and I''m now playing catch up. Somebody is getting paid every month for those hours at Archant.

It did only take a couple of days to set up and get populated, but I''ve done a lot of stuff since then - such as the custom forum icons and the member map, so that probably isn''t a fair reflection of the time invested.

You don''t need much "technical knowhow, financial clout and resources" to simply download and install forum software to a server, and then mess around with a stylesheet to change the colours and customise the design a little.

I elected to go with a decent paid cloud hosted option because I need more than just a forum, but a complete CMS (content management system) to build out the site, and because I get a free upgrade to IP board 4.0 when it is ready (which is what I really wanted from the start). The Pink''un only need a forum, the rest of their site uses a different CMS.

But there is also some decent free open source software which Archant could use. Presumably their server costs would remain fairly constant, so in terms of their outlay it could be as little as £0.00 + whatever they pay their technical bloke, who if an employee would be getting paid already.

Simple Machines is completely free software. This forum uses Simple Machines and does all the stuff you expect to see on a forum: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/

Although don''t discount my "knowhow" completely, I once built and managed a site which saw just shy of 1 million hits a month for almost two years, I''m no coder but I''m not strictly an amateur when it comes to building and managing sites. Neither am I an expert.

The challenge that the Pink''un have after they have installed their software (looks like it is going here on this subdomain http://forums.pinkun.com/default.html) is migrating all posts from this forum to the new one.

That is a massive headache. I don''t actually know what software are using for this forum right now, but because it is so old any new software may not have a tool to quickly and easily migrate content from this forum to their new one.

Of course, if the Pink''un haven''t even started their new forum and need a helping hand.... they can always throw me a couple of hundred quid and give me a few days, and I''ll build it for them. Not sure I''d be able to migrate 1.5 million posts from this one to that one though, and that may be the stumbling block. If there isn''t a way to push a button to do it then that may require somebody to custom code a program to import/export.[/quote]I understood the first sentence...

I was 17 when this forum was launched and Chris Llewellyn played for us at the time, so I wouldn''t have the foggiest idea what software this is.

At a guess I''d say phpBB 1.0 which was released in the year 2000.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I met a nice young lady on that chat site bit over there, only she stopped chatting with me after I sent her that picture of my John Thomas that she wanted. Now I''m scared to buy a tabloid newspaper.[/quote]

I''m sure you are because then you would have to fork out money for a magnifying glass too.

[/quote][:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s not for the likes of us be11ends and miscreants left on here to understand anyway...

[;)]

[/quote]I''m still waiting to hear whether I''m in the inner circle[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s not for the likes of us be11ends and miscreants left on here to understand anyway...

[;)]

[/quote]I''m still waiting to hear whether I''m in the inner circle[;)][/quote]

I think you''re only a usual suspect Rickyyyyyyyy.........

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[;)]

[/quote]I''m still waiting to hear whether I''m in the inner circle[;)][/quote]

I think you''re only a usual suspect Rickyyyyyyyy.........

[/quote]Well when the new site comes along I will be starting my own.[Y]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="CanaryboyNT"]I built it.

Of course, if the Pink''un haven''t even started their new forum and need a helping hand.... they can always throw me a couple of hundred quid and give me a few days, and I''ll build it for them. Not sure I''d be able to migrate 1.5 million posts from this one to that one though, and that may be the stumbling block. If there isn''t a way to push a button to do it then that may require somebody to custom code a program to import/export.[/quote]I understood the first sentence...[/quote]bit likeyour rambling posts about accounting ... each to there own [:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Any news on progress yet Pete ?  [/quote]Wishlist is with the developers for the build. Anything you would like added then please post below or email me.

Pete, will Arrdee''s section still be included? I know few people look at it now that over 5 years have passed but it''s still a good read and full of great forum memories.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Pete, will Arrdee''s section still be included? I know few people look at it now that over 5 years have passed but it''s still a good read and full of great forum memories.

[/quote]I shall insist on it NN.