Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Was that the Nice side?

Have been told by an old codger in the queue today that last night we played a "Nice Invitational" side rather than the genuine club side.  This would mean our only "proper" friendly thus far has been Bastia.True, or just an old codger with a glass half empty?

Comparing it to the side they put out last season there only seem to be half a dozen players who were in both lineups so there may be some truth in it...

Just went on their official site and looks like they consider it a Nice vs Norwich friendly, doesn''t say anything about being an invitational side.

They played two games in two days though, Brentford and then us, so probably didn''t play a full strength team in either, or were knackered.

They were all Nice players all right. We played a tough match against Bastia on Friday and then travelled home. Any excuses don''t wash for me, Just an excellent performance played up tempo with a lot of pace they just couldn''t handle.

A mixture of seasoned Pros and lads from their B team;

MOUEZ HASSEN - 19 yo - £250k

ROMAIN GENEVOIS - 26 yo - £1.76m - 32 games in Ligue1 last season

MATHIEU BODMER - 31 yo - £1.78m - 27 games in Ligue1 last season

GAUTIER LLORIS - 19 yo - From OGC Nice B

GRÉGOIRE PUEL - 22 yo - £1.1m - 29 games in Ligue1 last season

NAMPALYS MENDY - 22 yo - £4.84m - 35 games in Ligue1 last season

JORDAN AMAVI - 20 yo - From OGC Nice B

NIKLAS HULT - 24 yo - £1.58m - From IF Elfsborg

PAULIN PUEL - 17 yo - From OGC Nice B

DARÍO CVITANICH - 30 yo - £3.96m - 31 games in Ligue1 last season

VINCENT KOZIELLO - 18 yo - From OGC Nice B

Thanks for the detailed replies.  Looks like a 1st team/reserves mix, i.e. typical friendly - better than I was told was the case. Cheers.

Looking at that, there are some internationals in that line up. Bodmer has played for France I think. I dunno why people read so much into pre season tbh.

It''s so we can have exactly the same ''debate'' at the same time every year, Jimmy.

"Pre season friendlies are meaningless {unless we lose / win / concede loads / score loads / play a small club / play a big club / have a popular manager / have an untested manager}"

(delete as appropriate to your level of positivity x boredom)

How many people since the 13-0 thing are going to bring this up... "Did we play the team or someone else"

It''s just like when we signed RVW and we had a load of people giving it "I don''t think anyone''s noticed this, but our new signing, ricky van wolfswinkel sounds a little bit like a willy hawhawhaw! Guffaw!!!"

And I''m just like "...."

Obvious jokes and Norwich fans go together like Ipswich town and being totally s4it at everything...

[quote user="Buh"]How many people since the 13-0 thing are going to bring this up... "Did we play the team or someone else"

It''s just like when we signed RVW and we had a load of people giving it "I don''t think anyone''s noticed this, but our new signing, ricky van wolfswinkel sounds a little bit like a willy hawhawhaw! Guffaw!!!"

And I''m just like "...."

Obvious jokes and Norwich fans go together like Ipswich town and being totally s4it at everything...[/quote]hopefully it will happen a lot as it will mean we''ve dished out a few drubbings [:D]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Decent pre season work out, that''s all it is. You can never ever read into friendly''s.

However, as I said previously, their keeper was awful! Quite comical really.[/quote]''Friendlies'', lincoln; ''friendlies''. Plural form of ''friendly''.Friendly''s = belonging to a friendly.

I agree with your point, though.

:-)

"Van Wolfswinkel sounds like a willy"

I honestly had never noticed that.

I had been pronouncing it Volfsvinkel, which made me feel like a cast member from Allo Allo. That was enough to make me happy.