Sign in to follow this  
Canary101

Canary Player

Its good 101, but as a subscriber to it what hacks me off is how a lot of video content which use to be exclusive to that site is now free via YouTube.

I shall not re-subscribe.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]You could move to norfolk?[/quote]I could do. An option I hadn''t considered, but don''t think I could organise a new job / house prior to the season starting.It is more the ability to listen to the games live I am looking for rather than exclusive video content etc.

[quote user="Wiz"]

Its good 101, but as a subscriber to it what hacks me off is how a lot of video content which use to be exclusive to that site is now free via YouTube.

[/quote]Is the in game commentary actually any better than you would get on the BBC or twitter?It seems that as an internet medium, things like this are getting a bit left behind.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Is the in game commentary actually any better than you would get on the BBC or twitter?

It seems that as an internet medium, things like this are getting a bit left behind.
[/quote]

Bear in mind I''m hearing through a hearing aid morty but normal Radio has the edge imo and it doesn''t suddenly vanish for a few minutes!

For a period from May until mid July Canaries World posted nothing at all, and, as others comment, highlights pre-season are available on the PInkun Website. I discovered that I was too late to cancel my standing order, so I was a little peeved.

In the past I thought it was good value, because they showed the manager''s press conferences on Thursdays or Fridays. The match highlights were longer than those on the BBC, and after each game there were interviews with the manager and with a player, for what these were worth. There were also occasional interviews with McNally, and clips of the annual awards dinner, etc. Above all there were the match commentaries, and a scrolling match postings. There were also clips of junior squads, both matches and interviews.

I can never get to home matches, and I am reduced to away games in the Midlands. Unless the traditional contents is restored fully, I shall not renew my subscription next year.

I''m going to give the service a try as it appears about the only way I can get a live feed with any certainty over here. Even if it is radio only.

I''ve not made much use of my subscription over the last few seasons, but with less streams available can see it being used a lot more back in the Championship for games I can''t get to.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Is the in game commentary actually any better than you would get on the BBC or twitter?It seems that as an internet medium, things like this are getting a bit left behind.[/quote]

It is if you want live audio commentary and don''t live in Norfolk. In fact, it''s the only way to get blow by blow account of whats going on. Reading it in text format just doesn''t have the same appeal as hearing the Barclay roar.

Just so you''re aware you can gift yourself for 6 months for 21.49 if you want to save some money.
That works out almost quid cheaper than pay as you go (4.49) per month without having to pay £40 ish for a year.  And you get to send yourself a purty card. ;)
And of course, the radio commentary is great as it''s BBC Norfolk, you can then switch to the Tune-In radio app on mobile for canary call afterwards too, to get the full ''Local'' experience when away ;)

Used to love watching the highlights of matches with the Radio Norfolk commentary attached to it, but sadly they seem to have stopped doing that now. 

Last time we were in the Championship you used to be able to watch the Championship matches via the popular betting sites, simply by opening an account and leaving £1 as your balance

I''ve not bothered to look as yet if this is still the case but worth exploration I would suggest

You could do it on the betting sites but not in the uk, although you can go through a proxy to spoof location.

There should be a bit more content for Canary Player subscribers next season, as I hear that the club have hired a former Radio Norfolk football commentator.

I use Canary Player because I live outside the area. You can get radio Norfolk on-line but not the match commentary as the BBC has an agreement not to allow that. Thus Player is the only way to get it. You also get live match stats (ie. shots/on target/corners etc.) which I find useful. Given that there will be fewer streamed matches, this becomes more valuable. You also get player and manager interviews as well as match highlights, which I find is worth it for what it costs.

I really liked the McVeigh interviews where he sits in a bar, or in the players house and just chews the fat.

Wish there was more like that, than the generic interviews which we could all sit and write a script for.

I''ve subscribed for a few years now as I''m in the Midlands too and it is well worth it if you want to listen to the live commentary.

I''ve found that the stats part of the sight is a bit bit and miss but the radio element is very reliable these days.

I don''t think it does work on an iPad or iPhone or atleast it didn''t last time I asked the Canary Player Administrator.

[quote user="flake district canary"]Does it work on iPad?[/quote]

As a fellow exile I have relied on the radio via CP for many years. You can listen to it on iPad, you need to use puffin browser.

You can try the app for free and buy it for £3ish if you like it. Puffin browser plays flash content and enabled me to listen to radio commentary on my ipad last season.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Bot that the McVeigh bar interviews with players evoked a much more natural interview. The Holt one was a classic!

Yes, the match stats can be dodgy at times, but they provide a useful indicator during the match which can be corrected by official stats after the match, if need be.

Thanks everyone for the input.I will definitely give it ago for a month at least anyway to see what it is like before taking out a larger subscription.It is the ability to listen to the live match audio that I am after and this certainly does seem to be the only way to achieve this living outside of Norfolk.

I emailed them regarding working on iOS devices and got this response

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that a customer services representative will respond to your email as quickly as possible.

If you are experiencing technical issues please refer to the FAQ/Help pages available on the website.

Please do not respond to this email.

Best regards

Customer Services

My bad, try this instead,

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

You can get Live Audio Commentary in Norwich City FC iTune app.

In order to access our services through iTunes app, you need to download the app from iTunes store and subscribe to our services through the app.

You can download the Norwich City FC iTune app at:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/official-norwich-city-fc/id454973236?mt=8

Best regards,

Robin

Customer Services