Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Gary O'Neill

Howsons on crutches, possibly missing first 2 league games. Surely not bad on a free probably a 1 year deal.

He has a decent playing record at a good level and played 29 games for a promoted QPR side last season, so if he''s a free agent we could do a lot worse than have a look.

didn''t he get sent off the the playoff final?....in which case presumably he''s suspended for the first game.

If Howson''s injury isn''t long term, I wouldnt see the point in this, he''s certainly no better than what we''ve got and if we were to sell Fer for substantial money ,I''d hope we''d reinvest it on a better standard of midfielder and one that can contribute double figures in goals from midfield.

Think it was 2 yellow anyway. You only get 3 game ban for a straight red if its for dangerous play. Not for hand ball line

Or for fouling when your last man.

If there was some last minute movement away from the club, which left us short in that department, it could be useful cover.

Without anyone moving out we really do not need him do we?

Makes sense to me. He''s never going to set the world alight but he''s a hard working, decent, experienced pro who will bolster a CM area likely to be weakened by Fer''s probable departure, Howson''s knee injury and Tettey''s long term fitness concerns, and he''s free and been left without a club so he''s probably not in the strongest negotiating position with wages either.

I can''t see us letting Fer go atm if Howson is missing the first few games unless we get a top quality player lined up to replace him. Gary O''Neil seems a pretty similar player to Surman anyway just a bit older.

Didn''t NA say that if any player went they would replace him with someone better? If Fer goes that must rule out O''Neill and Henry.

Get rid of a young international with 3 years on his contract and replace with has been. Don''t think that will happen. Now if Fer goes and we get someone like Adam Clayton I would have no objection

Stanton Canary wrote the following post at 29/07/2014 9:46 AM:

"I think an older experienced head is what''s needed. These players often bring more than just their ability on the pitch."

Ridiculous statement. We have just come down from three seasons in the Premiership, we have Internationals playing for us, even the youngsters have spent time out on loan. We don''t need ''older, experienced'' cast offs!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]He is a free agent.[/quote]

Totally agree.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Stanton Canary wrote the following post at 29/07/2014 9:46 AM:

"I think an older experienced head is what''s needed. These players often bring more than just their ability on the pitch."

Ridiculous statement. We have just come down from three seasons in the Premiership, we have Internationals playing for us, even the youngsters have spent time out on loan. We don''t need ''older, experienced'' cast offs![/quote]Agree with this.If we brought him in extremely short term to cover for injuries, fair enough. But nothing more than that.

Rather than the experience angle, could he be another leader to assist on training ground and particularly when matters get tough on the pitch.... we desperately needed someone with that kind of character last year.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Stanton Canary wrote the following post at 29/07/2014 9:46 AM:

Ridiculous statement. We have just come down from three seasons in the Premiership, we have Internationals playing for us, even the youngsters have spent time out on loan. We don''t need ''older, experienced'' cast offs![/quote]

At his age he''s likely to only get a one year contract at most. He played 29 games for Qpr last season in a promotion winning campaign. We have to get real! We''re a championship club now, which means we might need to sign a free transfer every now and then. Because these internationals you speak of want out from all accounts anyway!

[quote user="rock bus"]Rather than the experience angle, could he be another leader to assist on training ground and particularly when matters get tough on the pitch.... we desperately needed someone with that kind of character last year.[/quote]Completely agree with the premise.But he is an Aldi player at best, and whilst we may no longer be able to shop in M&S, we should, at least, be browsing in Sainsburys.

I guess the thing is, we have no idea as supporters what players are actually available to us. We say we should sign this player or that player, but finances, players desire to come to Norwich etc we just don''t know. I''d rather have GO''N than Tettey anyway. The guy seems to have been fishing for a move ever since we went down!

I think the view on this signing depends on how it happens.

If it is replacing an out going Fer then yes this is a bad replacement.

If it is to add experience, a player who has been in the premier league for the majority of his career and enjoyed promotion last season then I think its a great signing.

If we are 1 nil up away at Derby with 10 mins to go, O''Neil on for Murphy could be the difference between 3 points and 1

[quote user="itriv"]I think the view on this signing depends on how it happens.

If it is replacing an out going Fer then yes this is a bad replacement.

If it is to add experience, a player who has been in the premier league for the majority of his career and enjoyed promotion last season then I think its a great signing.

If we are 1 nil up away at Derby with 10 mins to go, O''Neil on "for Murphy could be the difference between 3 points and 1[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more!

It''s amazing how some people write off a player who Boro paid £5m for a few years back. ONeil can play CM or RM and would be good on the right side of the diamond with Surman on the left. There is no squad limit, so this would make sense on a free.

So let me get this right, he''s a free agent, and isn''t in a position to negotiate a decent salary. he''s getting on a bit but used to be a well respected pro.....now if this guy doesn''t end up at Ip5w1ch I''ll be amazed.

Even if nobody else left he''d still be a handy player to bring in to the squad, though I appreciate it''s not an "exciting" type of signing.

It was a mistake having such a small pool of midfielders to pick from last season (especially one a bad injury record and another with no experience of the English game).

I know it''s difficult to keep people happy when everyone is fit but going through the season players are going to pick up knocks.

With Howson out for the start of the season if we were to sell Fer before the big kick-off we would be looking a bit light. Who knows if Tettey will be fit or not.

Going into the Wolves game with the central midfield that started last night wouldn''t fill me with a lot of confidence.

Stanton Canary wrote the following post at 29/07/2014 10:30 AM:

"At his age he''s likely to only get a one year contract at most. He played 29 games for Qpr last season in a promotion winning campaign. We have to get real! We''re a championship club now, which means we might need to sign a free transfer every now and then. Because these internationals you speak of want out from all accounts anyway! "

Which Internationals want out?

We have five CMs, only Tettey and Fer have a national career. Where is the proof that they are angling for a move or that anyone is actually (realistically) interested in them?

Experience doesn''t always mean he will do any good for us, why do people always think that it will.

Remember Sibierski?