Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Will St. Etienne fans be allowed to judge RvW on goal record?

Last season, for some reason, Norwich City fans weren''t allowed to judge our new striker and record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel on his goal record. We were forced to judge him by his "effort" and "work rate" instead.

Just wondering if St. Etienne fans will be allowed to judge RvW on his goal record next season. I hope so.

You see, it''s interesting. If Grabban or Lafferty score 1 in 46 league games this season, I''m pretty sure they''d be well and truly judged by their goal record.

Think everyone has judged him on his goal record, he is a striker that came over with a good goalscoring record and didn''t score but for the 1.

So, as long as he scores wherever he ends up then they can judge him on goals scored rather than other aspects, if he doesn''t score there either then how can they.

There are lots of elements to take in to consideration, the way we played,English football against Portugese football etc etc. as I put in a previous post, he isn''t the first or last that struggled to adapt to the English style, did we help him, no, as the football under Hughton was probably (?) the worst I have seen in all my years; was he unlucky, yes maybe, chances that others would have scored didn''t go in for him.

Lots of ifs buts and maybes with him. I for one hope he does go on to score loads, comes back and scores for fun for us. And clearly if he does we can all then judge him of what a striker should be judged on, that being goals?!

Funny how proven goal scorers like Holt, Becchio, Hooper and RvW all failed to score goals since joining up with Hughton and Calderwood isn''t it?

If Grabban and Lafferty had to endure the same system i would definitely feel for them too.

St Etienne fans can judge RVW, or any other player for that matter using any criteria that they want to.The question perhaps should be....................What do the management at St Etienne see that our management does not in RVW ?They are about to make a large financial outlay, they must believe that he will be an asset to them, they are not signing him as a favour to us.______________________________________________________________________________________________________Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Dobson, Dewhurst, Crapper, McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt. "Neville Davitt scored two in`t last minute and Frank Haggerty saved a penalty."

[quote user="Molly Windley"]St Etienne fans can judge RVW, or any other player for that matter using any criteria that they want to.The question perhaps should be....................What do the management at St Etienne see that our management does not in RVW ?They are about to make a large financial outlay, they must believe that he will be an asset to them, they are not signing him as a favour to us.______________________________________________________________________________________________________Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Dobson, Dewhurst, Crapper, McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt. "Neville Davitt scored two in`t last minute and Frank Haggerty saved a penalty."

[/quote]Unless, of course, there is no loan fee, and they only have to pay his wages....

bearing in mind how high english wages are compared to frances (st etiennce are no PSG) even paying wages will still be a significant financial investment. 

Despite the court of he is sh!te pinkum forums view its clear the boy hass talent and thats what the st etienne management team see.   And its just as clear we failed to get the best from him. 

I imagine St. Etienne''s management are aware that they are operating in a league which is more similar in terms of physicality to the Portuguese and Dutch leagues than it is the Premier League. I believe our management feel we are operating in a league which is more similar to the Premier League  that the Dutch and Portuguese leagues. I think that both are correct.

Hey i''m a saint etienne fan. I also follow the premierleague a lot and saw the poor season RvW had. However he was gold before joining Norwich so I imagine the coach is confident he can give his confidence back. We might have a better system to play him upfront with support from either a gamemaker or a second striker.Regarding money we have a stict grid of wages that has stopped us from signing players in the past so it means that RvW will get a maximum of 90K euros (around GBP 65K)+bonuses. It seems he is coming on a free loan+option to buy him at the end of the season.Seems like a good deal for us (remember the first few games when he was full of confidence, he looked like a brilliant signing for your club)

also his goalscoring record last season scares the hell out of fans who

didn''t know him (most of them really)... but some point out that Van

Gaal selected him, and he wouldn''t select a useless player would he?

Hi Jipouille. I think confidence will be the key for RVW this season for you. This really will be the make or break season for his career now. another poor season and he is career will be in tatters and we will have a high earning player on our books that will be worthless. Make no mistake our manager didn''t help RVW last season but even so you would expect a player that came with his reputation to show glimpses of quality, he showed none.

It will be interesting to see if we get promoted back to the Premiership this season and if he has a good season and returns to form weather he will come back next year and have another shot at it.

[quote user="Jipouille"]also his goalscoring record last season scares the hell out of fans who

didn''t know him (most of them really)... but some point out that Van

Gaal selected him, and he wouldn''t select a useless player would he?
[/quote]Hullo. Van Gaal selected him once for a friendly. Nothing since. I am with JF in his comments. You can make several excuses for van Wolfswinkel (and some were partly valid excuses) but he still looked hopeless at every aspect of football.What seems to be the case is that he is a pure goalscorer, who does nothing else, and will score goals only if the opposition defence gives him time and space. In the Premier League that did not happen, and in any event that kind of player is out of fashion in England and elsewhere. Strikers have to do more than just finish off a move. I don''t know enough about Ligue Un to say what the defences are like. Even if he will get more chances than in England can St Etienne afford a luxury player like that?