Sign in to follow this  
writeronthestorm

Centre Back and/or Right Back

With R. Martin moving into a central position with R.Bennett and M.Turner, I still feel we need another centre back (unless Bassong is going to get picked) and also require a right back to challenge Whittaker...or is Gafaiti going to make the step up? Doesn''t he play right or centre back?

Long way to go in the transfer window - I wonder if a loaned RB may be the answer?

I wonder if RvW signing off will allow City to pursue another defender now. The midfield is well stocked now with O''Neil arriving on top of the addition of Surman and Elliot Bennett returning fit and Wes looking good at ACM, not to mention the two Murphys as options. If Hooper stays, City have three solid strikers plus Redmond who has played up front in the pre-season.

Unlike many I actually think Whittaker is quite a decent player. I think he showed that in his first season here and I think he could show it again if he gets a good run of games - something he didn''t really have last season.

However, we do look light in that area. If he gets injured we''d be stretched thin.

I''d have like to have seen another CB come in. I think if we had Whittaker and Martin to choose from at RB we''d be looking really strong there - for this level.

And with a new CB to go with Turner and Bennett plus Martin for cover we''d be looking pretty strong there too.

I''m guessing we might see an RB loaned in or maybe someone who can play both CB and RB. At the moment we don''t look like we''ve quite got enough.

We certainly need a centre-back - a couple of injuries anywhere in the back four and a fairly weak defence could become porous. I think that Turner and Bennett will be just about O.K., but I don''t think that Martin is tall enough or quick enough.

We also need cover at RB, or we could find ourselves having to play a youngster there, or someone not used to that position. I also have my doubts about both Martin and Whittaker - good going forward, but short of pace.

I think that we need to splash out on a very good CB, - technically good and also able to marshall the defence.