Sign in to follow this  
STAN

Is this our "footballing board" undermining Adams?

2 weeks ago Adams publicly praised RVW, hinting he could be a key man for the season ahead.

At the same time Ricky told us he wanted to stay and prove the doubters wrong.

He''s now in France undergoing a medical, with Adams still saying he''d welcome him back with open arms..

The question is, if RVW wants to stay and Adams wants him to stay, then who the hell is making this decision?

Are you neglecting the possibility that it is Ricky that has asked to go out on loan?Where did he say he wanted to stay and prove the doubters wrong?

Who decided squad numbers ? was that the Board or Adams , Adams wants him gone , he is just trying to say all the things the fans want to hear . It looks as if the team will be weaker because of Adams personal squabbles , Bassong at centre back or Russell Martin ? thats a no brainer but Martin is a yes man just like the manager so the inferior player gets the shirt .

If we are to take Adams at his word then it appears that RVW has cracked up under the weight of expectation and fled to the continent. Ironically, this is very similar to what happened to Stephen Fry a few years ago!

Bassingbourn makes so many mistakes because he thinks he''s better than he is and is far too casual. I''d much rather have a committed defender who concentrates and gives his all. Russell Martin is a very competent defender.

[quote user="STAN"]2 weeks ago Adams publicly praised RVW, hinting he could be a key man for the season ahead.

At the same time Ricky told us he wanted to stay and prove the doubters wrong.

He''s now in France undergoing a medical, with Adams still saying he''d welcome him back with open arms..

The question is, if RVW wants to stay and Adams wants him to stay, then who the hell is making this decision?[/quote]You are taking as face value quotes that are classic football clichés and mean nothing in the real world. Actions speak louder than words. Adams'' first move in the transfer market was to sign two strikers, one of whom (Grabban) could cetainly be seen as a replacement for van Wolfswinkel. Those signings are a much better guide to how Adams really feels about van Wolfswinkel than any anodyne statements.

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Who decided squad numbers ? was that the Board or Adams , Adams wants him gone , he is just trying to say all the things the fans want to hear . It looks as if the team will be weaker because of Adams personal squabbles , Bassong at centre back or Russell Martin ? thats a no brainer but Martin is a yes man just like the manager so the inferior player gets the shirt .
[/quote]

This could be the case, in part, but there surely must be more simmering beneath the surface in the Bassong situation.

It is absolutely absurd to have a centre-back of the quality we know SB can be totally ignored and not being prepared for the season ahead whilst lesser players are pushed to the fore.

We seem destined not to be informed of the truth of what has happened but, even so, it seems thoroughly unsatisfactory situation which is detrimental to the Club, the player and, fundamentally, to our chances of success next season.

If Seb is, for some reason, a lost cause to NCFC then facilitate a move on for him. Despite some inadequacies last season he has proved himself to be a top performer at the English Premier League level and should invite interest because of this.

Something may well be in the pipeline which will clarify things, but it''s a long pipeline.

I, personally, would be far more confident of our chances for next season knowing that we were to be represented in he centre back position by a fully fit and fully up for it Sebastien Bassong.

What has gone wrong here? 

I forgot to add, with reference to the undermining of Adams..

I am probably wrong, but somehow this situation would seem to have the McNally stamp on it. 

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Who decided squad numbers ? was that the Board or Adams , Adams wants him gone , he is just trying to say all the things the fans want to hear . It looks as if the team will be weaker because of Adams personal squabbles , Bassong at centre back or Russell Martin ? thats a no brainer but Martin is a yes man just like the manager so the inferior player gets the shirt .[/quote]get back down the A140, bin boyhttp://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/TWTD.gif

[quote user="Down in the Chumps"]If we are to take Adams at his word then it appears that RVW has cracked up under the weight of expectation and fled to the continent. Ironically, this is very similar to what happened to Stephen Fry a few years ago![/quote]and another bin boymust be that all the charity collection tins are chained up to day

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Who decided squad numbers ? was that the Board or Adams , Adams wants him gone , he is just trying to say all the things the fans want to hear . It looks as if the team will be weaker because of Adams personal squabbles , Bassong at centre back or Russell Martin ? thats a no brainer but Martin is a yes man just like the manager so the inferior player gets the shirt .[/quote]get back down the A140, bin boyhttp://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/TWTD.gif

[/quote]Ah up pipes the old brain dead City fan that the Board and management loves , pulling the wool over an idiots eyes has never been easier .

Can it not just be that from the club''s point of view that we are happy to have Ricky in the squad, however he is one of the higher earners so we are going to be open to any sensible offers.  While from his point of view he''s happy to stay and prove his quality because he likes the club and likes the city and has taken to it, but does ultimately want to break into the Dutch squad so needs to be playing at a higher level.  It just so happens that a sensible offer for both parties has come along for both parties so discussions have taken place.

I am thinking that chrisr1606 has probably hit the nail on the head!!!

"footballing board undermining Adams" ??? not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion??

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I am thinking that chrisr1606 has probably hit the nail on the head!!!

"footballing board undermining Adams" ??? not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion??[/quote]Because its the same negative people that come to the same negative conclusions, desperate for any stick to beat the club with.The club they supposedly support.Odd.

As I said on other threads......we have to set our wage budget right.....we have to keep the players with the right attitude and time will tell if we can really say that about the board!

So far we have sold a half decent player in his last year for 8 million and bought two good strikers in.

Probanly loaned out a striker who just didn''t work out for us with a decent loan fee no doubt.

If more players go out the door so be it....we need to freshen things up amd allow Adams time to get his squad together.

I''m sure once RVW goes on loan then we will see a new CB come in.

Why be negative when its only the reality of relegation and ensuring we balance everything to give this season the best go we can.

Give the club time to adjust and back Adams and good board.....look at Blackpool & Scum for how not to run a club.

Bolton chairman Gartside said in an interview that parachute payments are best described as help while you try to release yourself of the burden of large contracts handed out whilst in the top flight. And realistically can we afford to keep RVW and Hooper.

Adams is making the right noises in case this deal falls through. I really wanted the boy to be a massive success. But it hasn''t worked out, let''s minimise the loss as much as we can and move on. Grabban looks a good signing so I''m pretty pleased.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]Bolton chairman Gartside said in an interview that parachute payments are best described as help while you try to release yourself of the burden of large contracts handed out whilst in the top flight. And realistically can we afford to keep RVW and Hooper.

Adams is making the right noises in case this deal falls through. I really wanted the boy to be a massive success. But it hasn''t worked out, let''s minimise the loss as much as we can and move on. Grabban looks a good signing so I''m pretty pleased.[/quote]That might be true for what happened at Bolton, but there is no evidence we handed out stupidly large/ruinous contracts. Unless McNally is outright lying all our contracts have relegation wage clauses built in. And as far as getting rid of van Wolfswinkel is concerned the obvious  explanation is the likeliest - that Adams thinks he is not very good and would be glad to be rid of him.

“The difference between supply and demand is such that I do not expect that there is a very quick decision,” Laros told the Dutch football magazine. “Norwich City is willing to co-operate, but expect something in return...the Championship is not the stage on which he plays football.”

I think all that has happened is that a couple of clubs have offered a deal for RVW that we think is vaguely acceptable and we are cutting our losses. I would not have minded him being given a chance again this season but let''s be honest he was utterly sh*t last season and at no point looked anywhere near good enough. If his name was "Gary Smith" he would have lost the benefit of the doubt some time ago. Crossing our fingers he comes good whilst paying him huge wages would have been a risk and therefore if we need to cut the wage bill a bit and someone is willing to take him then its a bit of a no brainer. Hooper is a far better bet in my boom although I am worried he will get disillusioned if he does not get game time.

Grabban and Laff have looked good pre-season and the former also brings much needed pace to the team. Hooper is a top striker, Loza a reasonable bench option and we still also have Becchio who is proven at this level If we are to lose one then RVW is the best one to go because he''s no doubt the most expensive wage wise and he''s the least proven in this country.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I think all that has happened is that a couple of clubs have offered a deal for RVW that we think is vaguely acceptable and we are cutting our losses. I would not have minded him being given a chance again this season but let''s be honest he was utterly sh*t last season and at no point looked anywhere near good enough. If his name was "Gary Smith" he would have lost the benefit of the doubt some time ago. Crossing our fingers he comes good whilst paying him huge wages would have been a risk and therefore if we need to cut the wage bill a bit and someone is willing to take him then its a bit of a no brainer. Hooper is a far better bet in my boom although I am worried he will get disillusioned if he does not get game time.

Grabban and Laff have looked good pre-season and the former also brings much needed pace to the team. Hooper is a top striker, Loza a reasonable bench option and we still also have Becchio who is proven at this level If we are to lose one then RVW is the best one to go
because he''s no doubt the most expensive wage wise and he''s the least proven in this country.[/quote]Exactly. The OP makes no sense. Far from Adams being undermined, the deals done so far are providing us with a markedly better strike force in the Championship than we had last season in the Premier League.

If, as I suspect, there will be little further signing, and certainly no stand-out player, then it seems to me that the Board are holding the purse strings very tightly. We have barely spent the Snodgrass money yet.

Come on Board - release some money to enable us to sign a couple of good defenders. The defence was riddled with errors and mistakes last year, and removing Bassong, the only central defender with ability, weakens it still further.

I appreciate that there is an element of "wait and see" who leaves, but we saw the result of two years of last-minute attempted signings by Hughton.

The RvW deal seems a little weak, if the possible eventual deal could be short of £5m. Adams was happy to have RvW here, so are the Board in miserly mode yet again? They''ll have egg n their faces if he comes back as a failure, or if he goes at such a loss.

[quote user="Salopian"]If, as I suspect, there will be little further signing, and certainly no stand-out player, then it seems to me that the Board are holding the purse strings very tightly. We have barely spent the Snodgrass money yet. Come on Board - release some money to enable us to sign a couple of good defenders. The defence was riddled with errors and mistakes last year, and removing Bassong, the only central defender with ability, weakens it still further. I appreciate that there is an element of "wait and see" who leaves, but we saw the result of two years of last-minute attempted signings by Hughton. The RvW deal seems a little weak, if the possible eventual deal could be short of £5m. Adams was happy to have RvW here, so are the Board in miserly mode yet again? They''ll have egg n their faces if he comes back as a failure, or if he goes at such a loss.[/quote]

The club are spending plenty of money by keeping players such as Fer, Redmond, Howson, Ruddy, Olsson etc at the club. Of course some of the Snodgrass money is going to be absorbed by the club to make up for the short fall from the Premier League.

This is no way the wage reduction clause equalled the amount in lost income from relegation. The best hope for promotion is by keeping the best players at the club, players who signed for a Premier League club, rather than spending millions on players who are good enough to move to the Premier League at the moment.

I would expect moving RvW will mean there is room in the wage budget for another defender, or the club will wait and bring in a younger player on loan from the Premier League. Personally, I''d rather Norwich bring in a few loanees than load the squad full of players on 2 or 3 year contracts now who won''t be good enough if promotion is achieved.

[quote user="Salopian"]If, as I suspect, there will be little further signing, and certainly no stand-out player, then it seems to me that the Board are holding the purse strings very tightly. We have barely spent the Snodgrass money yet.

Come on Board - release some money to enable us to sign a couple of good defenders. The defence was riddled with errors and mistakes last year, and removing Bassong, the only central defender with ability, weakens it still further.

I appreciate that there is an element of "wait and see" who leaves, but we saw the result of two years of last-minute attempted signings by Hughton.

The RvW deal seems a little weak, if the possible eventual deal could be short of £5m. Adams was happy to have RvW here, so are the Board in miserly mode yet again? They''ll have egg n their faces if he comes back as a failure, or if he goes at such a loss.
[/quote]I am not sure I follow this. I don''t think there is the remotest chance at the moment of recouping anything like what we paid for van Wolfswinkel. We would be lucky to get a couple of million in an outright sale. No-one would risk paying much more.If he does OK at St Etienne then a possible fee of £4m-£5m would seem reasonable. The only way in which we might be seen to have got this wrong would be if he scores an absolute hatful and gets in to the Dutch side for Euro 2014 qualifying games. Then it might be the case that we would have missed out on a few million.As to Adams wanting to keep van Wolfswinkel, he may have said that but his signings of Grabban and Lafferty (plus so far hanging on to Hooper) tell a different and more believable story.

And of course, if he has a superb season at St Etienne, then his value will return to closer the figure we paid for him.

I wonder why people assume that it is so easy to move players about.

If playing for City was such a pull then Vaughan would have still been here and maybe we wouldn''t have to have bought either RVW or Hooper.

The players have outside influences that make their playing ability, ability to settle in the area, ability to mix with team mates far more difficult than supporters realise.

I wouldn''t mind betting that ALL concerned are happy with the arrangement.